• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Why so much negativity in media over credit cards!

Swastik

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

Article published just few hours back by india today ,
Scary pic of a credit card monster hovering over an innocent shopper,
Using words like pandemic(too soon after covid) ,nightmare ,perilous path of debt and financial distress,
Telling stories of 3 individual who were not financially responsibile ,ended up spending beyond their means, but now playing victim card
Trying to confusing general public with big numbers

And just demonizing credit cards all together.

Last edited:

Swastik

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
And this is not the only one ,every now and then I'll come across an article criticizing credit cards like this

I don't see any other Financial instrument getting so much hatred as credit cards

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge

Using words like pandemic(too soon after covid) ,nightmare ,perilous path of debt and financial distress,
Telling stories of 3 individual who were not financially responsibile ,ended up spending beyond their means, but now playing victim card

And overall just demonizing credit cards all together.

Also check this out
Media needs some news,
if there is no news they will create it based on their imagination skills..
after all they also need to survive in the market , journalists need to feed their families as well

The more sensational, the better revenue for them ..

There is no true journalism exists in the entire world now..

Take it easy, don’t read too much into it.
Just apply some common sense, with respect to any news you read in the news papers these days.

techt

TF Legend
Media needs some news,
after all they also need to survive in the market , journalists need to feed their families as well

Just apply some common sense, with respect to any news you read in the news papers these days.
Agree . Perfect, these days I too stopped following news. @DocFixIt profile feed is enough for me to know whats going on in the world now.

Swastik

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Media needs some news,

I know but as I've mentioned before ,no other financial instruments are targeted as much as Credit Cards

I've seen my friends being harassed by Bajaj finance people for emi Payments on personal ,losing money in mutual funds by not so good fund managers ,Insurance companies refusing reimburse hospital bills or fixing accident veichles ,

Yet Credit Cards are public enemy number 1 in financial world.

Swastik

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Because of me ,3 of my friends got into Credit Card game from Scratch ,now each of them has 3-4 cards within 2 years ,Reaping Benefits and enjoying convenience

But with so much negativity, it's hard to explain to any new people my love for Plastic(or Metal) Money

Riya

TF Ace
Credit card culture is still in its nascent stage in India as compared to somewhat like USA where everyone is carrying multiple cards and that's considered normal...
Here in india, Credit card is considered as bad loan in our tradition...
I think most will agree that we haven't disclosed our number of credit cards to our parents..

Plus a meteoric rise in cards issued since 2020 is a matter of analysis...
So media is also creating a hype

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
t

Trying to confusing general public with big numbers

And just demonizing credit cards all together.
this is the bitter truth.. banks make money only when interest accrues.. mdr is not such a big source.. the writing may have gone overboard but the message is real and now. CCs are awesome if used intelligently and can cause ruin if indisciplined in usage.. i personally benefited a lot during a job loss phase with CCs and minimum dues.. but never missed a payment.. like we had in school essay.. boon or bane? always a perspective and different basis context,!!

techt

TF Legend
Credit card culture is still in its nascent stage in India as compared to somewhat like USA where everyone is carrying multiple cards and that's considered normal...
Here in india, Credit card is considered as bad loan in our tradition...
I think most will agree that we haven't disclosed our number of credit cards to our parents..

Plus a meteoric rise in cards issued since 2020 is a matter of analysis...

So media is also creating a hype
We are already crossing them if we consider millennials. What is normal in US wrt CCs is not paying CC bill in full, getting into deep debt traps.

That is Arindam Bhaja Govindam effect.

doraemon

TF Legend
I learned a lesson when I was xploring phonepe app and I clicked on add money to wallet option and prefilled amount of 1550 was ticked
And I accidentally clicked on kotak credit card and transaction gone through within a sec
( I was not able to cancel transaction)
Was charged 30 rs
Felt bad for 3-4 days
After that I keep my cc off and only on when I want to transact and I always pay when I made a payments
So no worries of bill due or late payments charges

Credit card is a good thing but only till you respect it
Once u start abusing it
It's a nightmare

Last edited:

techt

TF Legend
I learned a lesson when I was xploring phonepe app and I clicked on add money to wallet option and prefilled amount of 1550 was ticked
And I accidentally clicked on kotak credit card and transaction gone through within a sec
( I was not able to cancel transaction)
Was charged 30 rs
Felt bad for 3-4 days
After that I keep my cc off and only on when I want to transact and I always pay when I made a payments
Consider yourself lucky. Let me tell you a tale from Arindam bhaja Govindam.
One (ab)user, booked some 30K hotel and later cancelled for 3K cashback. But the hotel, didn't refund stating some TnC.

Last edited: