• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Who pays for CC / DC offers?

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
This might be a silly question to those who already know. I'll delete this post once I get the answers.

I'm just curious as to who pays for CC discount offers. Is it the bank, the seller, the shopping platform, or shared?

1. On Amazon/Flipkart - HDFC, SBI etc offer 5k or even 10k on premium smartphones/laptops.

2. On brand websites, like Apple (and myimaginestore) - where HDFC has a standard 5k-10k discount offer around the year.

D₹V

TF Prestige
This might be a silly question to those who already know. I'll delete this post once I get the answers.

I'm just curious as to who pays for CC discount offers. Is it the bank, the seller, the shopping platform, or shared?

1. On Amazon/Flipkart - HDFC, SBI etc offer 5k or even 10k on premium smartphones/laptops.

2. On brand websites, like Apple (and myimaginestore) - where HDFC has a standard 5k-10k discount offer around the year.
I believe banks & merchants/site have partnership (shared) but most value is offered by merchant only.

Banks might be contributing but too less.

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge

For no cost emi - banks get full .
Seller / platform - gives discount.
In return seller sells more , banks bring customer who can afford it

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

People who don't pay in full and pay interest, fund all the rewards

techt

TF Legend
For no cost emi - banks get full .
Seller / platform - gives discount.
In return seller sells more , banks bring customer who can afford it

telugu GIF

You could have chosen Commerce as career and become a Fin Min. Bharat is losing Chanakya.
World needs treatment for economy too.

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

Thank you for sharing this @Zacobite. This is eye opening.

If this is true, my reward points are funded by low income people who need to use credit cards and have to go with the EMI option and/or default on their payment and pay cc interest rates. I feel less happy about earning those RP.

Also, it is possible that the flat X thousand discount might be born by banks themselves, as a cost for onboarding customers to CCs. In the long term, more CC usage in Indian economy will result in longer interest charges for banks.
In fact, we see some of this on Flipkart already - EMI only offers on CC. No discount on upfront full payment.

TL;DR Capitalism is f***ed up. Being privileged comes at the cost of some other person footing my perks.

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
My query has been answered. I can close and delete this thread, if irrelevant.

Mods, please feel free to keep this up or delete.

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Thank you for sharing this @Zacobite. This is eye opening.

If this is true, my reward points are funded by low income people who need to use credit cards and have to go with the EMI option and/or default on their payment and pay cc interest rates. I feel less happy about earning those RP.

Also, it is possible that the flat X thousand discount might be born by banks themselves, as a cost for onboarding customers to CCs. In the long term, more CC usage in Indian economy will result in longer interest charges for banks.
In fact, we see some of this on Flipkart already - EMI only offers on CC. No discount on upfront full payment.

TL;DR Capitalism is f***ed up. Being privileged comes at the cost of some other person footing my perks.
true that.. and when they don't make money.. cards / rewards get devalued, reduced

s1t2y3a3m6

TF Premier
1.Bank 20-30%
Platform 80-70% in full pay

2.Bank - waive emi interest which pay by platforms
Platform - pay discount amount to bank for your no cost emi