• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Term Life Insurance: Quick Buying Guide

saucy

TF Ace
Insurances are hard to understand, harder to decide which one to buy.

Here is some Paki pakai khichdi🥘 if you want help to make it easier

1. Buy it keeping in mind, that your aim should be not to rely on insurance but on creating wealth. This is a backup☠️ if you fail. Insurance is paidout in case you die before 60(insured age), and useful only if you've not gathered wealth till then (yani *age 60-65 tak rakhna) (keep age of coverage 60-65)

2. Go for *2 crore cover* -- it would be around 20lakhs worth *35 years* from now. 💰📉📉

3. Buy only the plain policy, no add on.🚫 Baki apne hisaab se toh dekh lo according to your need. (You're the best judge of your needs)
Especially avoid the "accidental death rider" - that's just their way of selling same insurance twice.

4. Buy *before your next budday*🎂, warna prices badhti hain (or prices 💹💹)

5. Good companies - max hdfc and tata (i chose max, because their amount insured to payout ratio is best)🌟

6. Annual payment is 4-5% cheaper.
But credit card 💳 + nifty = profit💹✨ se i guess aap jada nikalwa sakte ho if you're into that kinda thing. Plus time value. 💸

7. Tax benefit covers medical insurance, NOT TERM LIFE INSURANCE 🚭... Ye 80c me aata hai, so... Waha ka amount Bach Raha hai to ye use kar sakte ho (Mutual fund are a better choice) *dhoni emoji - mutual fund sahi hai* (pro tip - the BEST MUTUAL FUND (99.9%) IS NIFTYBEES (nifty index fund) )

8. Ditto (backed by Zerodha) is a good way to not share your number and still get the info you need. I would highly recommend connecting with them.

I used Ditto - as they actually helped me collate different KPIs and compare before buying insurance. They did not charge anything. Benefit was that now i can directly connect with the insurance company, OR pressurise via Ditto in case i need any help

Final words?

-Ensure you have good amount of savings, and *always* have some liquidity. 🪙
-SIPs are a must💯, insurance is a backup.
- ASK silly QUESTIONS, stay curious ✨

And a default answer is:
Lelo.. you aren't getting any younger. Agar sarkari Naukri karne wale ho to alag baat hai.. wasie to tab bhi le hi lo, it's not a big cost.<20k a year, But a safe bet if people depend upon your income . Medical aur term hona chaiye. Shadi karne ke baad lene jaoge to aur mehenga padega🤣🤷💰

Last edited:
It would be helpful if you made this in English for all viewers.

Currently I'm investing in zedohra Parag parik and small case gold equity.

Is also investing in xtra in mobikwik worth it?

Deleted member 9785

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I have 1 cr max TI @9k per annum (old ) . I am plannint to take 3cr more cover looking at so many heartattacks strokes etc these days. Should i again take from Max . They are quoting 50k per annum.

gurubhai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
icici and hdfc are much more expensive and lower claim sentiment ratio
Okay. AFAIK for term insurance, if 3 years passed and no major illness is detected the company is bound to give ur family the insurance money.
So claim settlement ratio etc params does not matter much for term insurance.
But yes do decide on basis of premium amount.

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
If all disclosures are genuine then all providers are the same... aegon is cheaper than most, ipru and hdfc are good, LIC term plans are v difficult to buy.., try kotak life.. they are decent on premiums

pgarg24

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Adding some more thoughts here - You can potentially check Hospital Cash addon in term policy too. It would cost you hardly 800-1000 extra per year, but once you get admitted for anything(considering you get admitted for at least 3 days which is most common), you can easily claim anywhere between 12-16k depending upon your policy. If its ICU then payable would be anywhere between 20-30k approx.

I have from tataAIA coz I think its a good company which will survive next 60 years of my life :)

Anirban

TF Buzz
Probably a stupid question but what in your opinion is a better way of premium payment for the entire policy term: monthly or annually?

saucy

TF Ace
I chose annually because that gave me 5% discount, and chance to pay using Amazon GV. So overall ~11% discount.
I could've made easy 12-15% by investing it in stonks, but don't want that headache right now. If you can, go for monthly
@Anirban