• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Suggestion for a credit card

Nalin Bansal

TF Buzz
Hi everyone,

My father has 4 credit cards:
1. Citibank Business Credit Card (17 years old)
2. AMEX Platinum Reserve Credit Card
3. HDFC Millenia
4. Airtel Axis

I have a CIBIL score of roughly 740 and want to get a credit card issued for myself (should be different from the above 4 to maximise benefits). My primary objective is getting lounge access. I am preferring a card which has no joining fees and is life time free because I might not be able to utilise the fees properly. Also, I have bank accounts with HDFC, Kotak (0 balance) and PNB. Please suggest me a card

Thanks!

Nalin Bansal

TF Buzz
Hi everyone,

I want to get the first credit card issued for me. Please find below the details:
1. Pincode: 122018
2. CIBIL Score: 740
3. Objective: Nothing specific, lounge access is something I would want
4. Salary: Above INR 10LPA
5. Preferring LTF and no joining fees since I might not be able to recover it through benefits

Also, my father has 4 credit cards:
1. CITI Business Card (having since 18 years)
2. AMEX Platinum Reserve
3. Airtel Axis
4. HDFC Millenia VISA

Please suggest me a credit card

Kumar93196

TF Ace
Hi everyone,

My father has 4 credit cards:
1. Citibank Business Credit Card (17 years old)
2. AMEX Platinum Reserve Credit Card
3. HDFC Millenia
4. Airtel Axis

I have a CIBIL score of roughly 740 and want to get a credit card issued for myself (should be different from the above 4 to maximise benefits). My primary objective is getting lounge access. I am preferring a card which has no joining fees and is life time free because I might not be able to utilise the fees properly. Also, I have bank accounts with HDFC, Kotak (0 balance) and PNB. Please suggest me a card

Thanks!
Take. Indusind bank cc it don't have any spending criteria for lounges usage

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator
Hi everyone,

I want to get the first credit card issued for me. Please find below the details:
1. Pincode: 122018
2. CIBIL Score: 740
3. Objective: Nothing specific, lounge access is something I would want
4. Salary: Above INR 10LPA
5. Preferring LTF and no joining fees since I might not be able to recover it through benefits

Also, my father has 4 credit cards:
1. CITI Business Card (having since 18 years)
2. AMEX Platinum Reserve
3. Airtel Axis
4. HDFC Millenia VISA

Please suggest me a credit card
hi there, have merged your new thread to this cause it same thing with some additional info and this - " Objective: Nothing specific, lounge access is something I would want" only Paid card now offer limited to unlimited Lounge access (without spend) so this shouldn't be a reason to get cc in 2024. in 2022/2023 it was fine. and your score is bit less. share a ss to see what the reason. try to get secured cc first and there multiple thread so please search within the forum.

sidp

TF Ace
I have a CIBIL score of roughly 740 and want to get a credit card issued for myself (should be different from the above 4 to maximise benefits). My primary objective is getting lounge access. I am preferring a card which has no joining fees and is life time free because I might not be able to utilise the fees properly.
It will very difficult. Your cibil is<740. Not bad but not good specifically for the cards you want.

Salary isn't high enough for banks to offer cards with free lounge access as ltf. Check if you are eligible for sapphiro alumni offer. It has very low spend criteria for lounge.

But if you want to use lounge frequently easiest way will be your father to get a high variant card like dcb with lounge access for add ons.

Nalin Bansal

TF Buzz
It will very difficult. Your cibil is<740. Not bad but not good specifically for the cards you want.

Salary isn't high enough for banks to offer cards with free lounge access as ltf. Check if you are eligible for sapphiro alumni offer. It has very low spend criteria for lounge.

But if you want to use lounge frequently easiest way will be your father to get a high variant card like dcb with lounge access for add ons.
I am getting an offer of Tata Neu plus with joining fees waived off, but I will have to pay annual fee on it. Is it worth taking it? I don't do a lot of UPI spends though

Nalin Bansal

TF Buzz
Also, even if not lounge access, is there any other card which I can start with which can complement some of the cards which my father has?

sidp

TF Ace
Also, even if not lounge access, is there any other card which I can start with which can complement some of the cards which my father has?
You are giving incomplete info.
1. Is there any specific reason why cibil<750? If it is occasional high utilization no problem. You can recover. But late payment, settlement, inconsistent data is a problem.

2. How frequently do you wish to use lounge access?

3. You do realize that most cc now have spend based lounge access. Also many low variant cards have longe access but only for few locations. As you live in Gurgaon that shouldn't be problem. But amex users had some problems even in delhi. So you need to check which route you would take generally. And decide accordingly.

Again for good coverage of lounge access either you can get ltf sapphiro if you are eligible for alumni offer. Search for that thread. Or next best method is convincing your dad to get a high Variant card with add on access. Most likely you won't get these cards and definitely not ltf.

4. How much you plan to spend in this card? Either personal or for your family. What are the categories? Even high variant cards have exception categories.

Nalin Bansal

TF Buzz
You are giving incomplete info.
1. Is there any specific reason why cibil<750? If it is occasional high utilization no problem. You can recover. But late payment, settlement, inconsistent data is a problem.

2. How frequently do you wish to use lounge access?

3. You do realize that most cc now have spend based lounge access. Also many low variant cards have longe access but only for few locations. As you live in Gurgaon that shouldn't be problem. But amex users had some problems even in delhi. So you need to check which route you would take generally. And decide accordingly.

Again for good coverage of lounge access either you can get ltf sapphiro if you are eligible for alumni offer. Search for that thread. Or next best method is convincing your dad to get a high Variant card with add on access. Most likely you won't get these cards and definitely not ltf.

4. How much you plan to spend in this card? Either personal or for your family. What are the categories? Even high variant cards have exception categories.
1. Credit history isn't too long, got Paytm postpaid activated but saw the score declining despite of low usage so deactivated it (highest credit score I saw was 760)
2. Roughly 2-4 times a year
3. True, that makes sense
4. My family's spending using credit card is mostly in the following areas in decreasing order of spend:
A. Fuel
B. Utility payments (Electricity and Society Maintenance)
C. Mobile recharges, internet bills
D. Basic groceries and online food deliveries
D. Offline shopping

Also on an average my family's monthly spend would be around Rs. 50-75k in total, divided across all cards

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Seems like you've a wide set of expenses.

In such a case, I can suggest the HDFC Neu Infinite card.
It's great for all those UPI expenses and offers great cashback if you buy things using the Tata Neu app.

Secondly, if you're looking for a great overall card, you can get the Amex MRCC or the Amex Platinum Travel card.

MRCC works great if your expenses are ~6K per month, you get 1000 MR points for that.

If your expenses are 25k-30k per month, you can get the Plat Travel card which will get you 40,000 MR points on 4L annual spends.

The points are best redeemed while traveling but can also be redeemed for Taj, Amazon and other brand vouchers. :)

Nalin Bansal

TF Buzz
Seems like you've a wide set of expenses.

In such a case, I can suggest the HDFC Neu Infinite card.
It's great for all those UPI expenses and offers great cashback if you buy things using the Tata Neu app.

Secondly, if you're looking for a great overall card, you can get the Amex MRCC or the Amex Platinum Travel card.

MRCC works great if your expenses are ~6K per month, you get 1000 MR points for that.

If your expenses are 25k-30k per month, you can get the Plat Travel card which will get you 40,000 MR points on 4L annual spends.

The points are best redeemed while traveling but can also be redeemed for Taj, Amazon and other brand vouchers. :)
Would it make sense to get my father's AMEX Platinum Reserve converted to AMEX MRCC or Platinum travel? Not sure but I don't think platinum reserve is rewarding for me because I don't use the Taj and Marriot bonvoy benefits

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Would it make sense to get my father's AMEX Platinum Reserve converted to AMEX MRCC or Platinum travel? Not sure but I don't think platinum reserve is rewarding for me because I don't use the Taj and Marriot bonvoy benefits
Yeah, that's something I was about to suggest. The Reserve has very expensive fees and very less benefits.
There's no such thing as conversion or downgrade with Amex.

Apply for a new one, you will get the first year with 2k bonus MR points if you use an invite link(check my signature)!

Also, there's an offer going on so if you apply now, you'll get the Amex Explorer physical kit as a joining bonus! :)

Nalin Bansal

TF Buzz
Yeah, that's something I was about to suggest. The Reserve has very expensive fees and very less benefits.
There's no such thing as conversion or downgrade with Amex.

Apply for a new one, you will get the first year with 2k bonus MR points if you use an invite link(check my signature)!

Also, there's an offer going on so if you apply now, you'll get the Amex Explorer physical kit as a joining bonus! :)
AMEX has very low rate of acceptance in Gurgaon plus MRCC doesn't have lounge access at all.

I am getting Tata Neu plus variant with 0 joining fees but will have to pay Rs. 500 annual fees, is it worth taking it?

I have also applied for PNB Platinum Rupay since it has no joining and waiver on annual fees plus it gives lounge access and decent cashbacks on UPI spends, waiting for the acceptance.

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
AMEX has very low rate of acceptance in Gurgaon plus MRCC doesn't have lounge access at all.

I am getting Tata Neu plus variant with 0 joining fees but will have to pay Rs. 500 annual fees, is it worth taking it?

I have also applied for PNB Platinum Rupay since it has no joining and waiver on annual fees plus it gives lounge access and decent cashbacks on UPI spends, waiting for the acceptance.

Sorry, I was referring to the Plat Travel card which is first year free and offers lounge access.
(If you're going through the link in signature, tap on 'View all cards' and you will see Plat Travel as an option)

But if the acceptance rate is low, it can get a little tricky unless you're making online transactions.

My logic is to apply for the card if it's first year free, take the experience of how it feels and what benefits and perks are being utilized.

Based on that, you can continue or discontinue it in the second year. :)