• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Should I close my Diners Black Credit Card

cardwala

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Hi All,

I am holding paid version of Diner Black credit card for last 5 years. However, I have not paid any fees till date as I was able to spend 5lacs for fee waiver. My yearly spend on the card is between 5 to 6 lacs (all genuine spends) as below:
  • Rent – 3.6 lacs
  • School Fees – 1.2 lacs – Paid by wallet upload of Payzapp and then by Payzapp card
  • NPS – 0.5 lacs
  • Other Spends – less than 1 lacs

As per new rules applicable from 1 Jan 2023, zero reward points would accrue on rent, wallet upload and government spend (NPS), so I won’t be getting any points on 5 lacs that I spend on the card. So, my questions are:
  • Is it still worth holding the DCB card when I am not accruing any rewards or should I close before net renewal on 12 Jan 2024
  • Which cards should I apply for in order reap maximum benefit for above spends
  • Which is better in terms of international lounge access – Diner vs. Prioirty Pass vs. Dream Folks. I am not a frequent traveller (travel internationally once in 2 year)

Apart from Diners Black, I hold the following cards along with their usuage:
  • Axis Bank – Select – on EazyDiner for 25% discount
  • American Express – MRCC – Only do 4 transactions of 1.5k for bonus points by purchasing Amazon gift cards
  • RBI Bank – Zomato Edition Classic – If there is any RBL bank discount
  • ICICI Bank – Amazon Pay – for small purchases valued less then 1000 or if any ICICI bank discount
  • IDFC Bank – Wealth – Payment of advance tax
  • Yes Bank – First Preferred – If there is any Yes bank or Master Card discount

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator
i don't hold DCB but it seem if a card isn't rewarding better to switch, magnus come to mind cause it still give considered Rent and give reward.
i don't hold so i can't comment if it really give reward or not , check with other post for that. try to mail to hdfc to upgrade to LTF DCB cause you been using for 5 yrs and see you want upgrade or LTF

Dexter

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I wouldn't suggest closing a 5 yr old card. Try requesting for LTF conversion. If not at least tell them to downgrade to Regalia LTF.

chandutla

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Hi All,

I am holding paid version of Diner Black credit card for last 5 years. However, I have not paid any fees till date as I was able to spend 5lacs for fee waiver. My yearly spend on the card is between 5 to 6 lacs (all genuine spends) as below:
  • Rent – 3.6 lacs
  • School Fees – 1.2 lacs – Paid by wallet upload of Payzapp and then by Payzapp card
  • NPS – 0.5 lacs
  • Other Spends – less than 1 lacs

As per new rules applicable from 1 Jan 2023, zero reward points would accrue on rent, wallet upload and government spend (NPS), so I won’t be getting any points on 5 lacs that I spend on the card. So, my questions are:
  • Is it still worth holding the DCB card when I am not accruing any rewards or should I close before net renewal on 12 Jan 2024
  • Which cards should I apply for in order reap maximum benefit for above spends
  • Which is better in terms of international lounge access – Diner vs. Prioirty Pass vs. Dream Folks. I am not a frequent traveller (travel internationally once in 2 year)

Apart from Diners Black, I hold the following cards along with their usuage:
  • Axis Bank – Select – on EazyDiner for 25% discount
  • American Express – MRCC – Only do 4 transactions of 1.5k for bonus points by purchasing Amazon gift cards
  • RBI Bank – Zomato Edition Classic – If there is any RBL bank discount
  • ICICI Bank – Amazon Pay – for small purchases valued less then 1000 or if any ICICI bank discount
  • IDFC Bank – Wealth – Payment of advance tax
  • Yes Bank – First Preferred – If there is any Yes bank or Master Card discount
Recently I have closed this card (7 years card history with upgrades) as no point to maintain with less rewards by making spends above 5 Lakhs. Customer care not agreed when I asked to Regalia downgrade with LTF as most of the new applications got the same. With similar spends, I get magnus with at least 5-6 months above 1 L milestone benefits. Took Magnus last month.

reo_sam

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
1. I don't think you will get HDFC bank to agree to give you a different card and that too LTF. They are not flexible in this thing. And it really is a waste of time. You may try to email to priorityredressal.creditcards@hdfcbank.com and see if that makes any difference. Everyone else (RM and CC call centre will either deny on the spot or will dilly-dally you for some time).
2. Have you thought about using Amex Travel (or Trifecta) for your spends? Since those seem to fit in your spend category. There is great post about them in the Amex CC section.

CVR

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
C
1. I don't think you will get HDFC bank to agree to give you a different card and that too LTF. They are not flexible in this thing. And it really is a waste of time. You may try to email to priorityredressal.creditcards@hdfcbank.com and see if that makes any difference. Everyone else (RM and CC call centre will either deny on the spot or will dilly-dally you for some time).
2. Have you thought about using Amex Travel (or Trifecta) for your spends? Since those seem to fit in your spend category. There is great post about them in the Amex CC section.
Most apps don’t accept amex for rent or charge high fees. And one of his biggest expense is rent. For him best option is Magnus.

bugmenot

TF Ace
Try to get standard chartered ultimate. Since your major spends are for rent and education/wallet, those are covered. 3.33% reward points redeemable for vouchers.

reo_sam

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
C

Most apps don’t accept amex for rent or charge high fees. And one of his biggest expense is rent. For him best option is Magnus.
ah. I was under the impression that Nobroker allowed it, but they have removed that option years back. Thanks for pointing that out.

cardwala

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
i don't hold DCB but it seem if a card isn't rewarding better to switch, magnus come to mind cause it still give considered Rent and give reward.
i don't hold so i can't comment if it really give reward or not , check with other post for that. try to mail to hdfc to upgrade to LTF DCB cause you been using for 5 yrs and see you want upgrade or LTF
I am HDFC Imperia banking customer. RM verbally promised me that before first anniversary of the card, she would get it converted to LTF. But within few months of card issuance, she got married and got transferred to another city. New HDFC RM also put his hands up and said it cannot be converted to LTF. Hence I got stuck with this paid card.

Magnus is not for me as it is not possible for me to spend 1 lacs in a month for bonus points.

I just applied for Axis bank Vistara Signature card (not infinite) as fees is less @ Rs. 3,000 + GST. I would be getting 12k CV points and 4 premium economy tickets on 4,50,000 spends (including one for payment of fees). I am expecting a return 8% to 10%.

cardwala

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Better use this DCB to get Magnus on C2C basis before closing it.

Magnus is not for me as it is not possible for me to spend 1 lacs in a month for bonus points.

I just applied for Axis bank Vistara Signature card (not infinite) as fees is less @ Rs. 3,000 + GST. I would be getting 12k CV points and 4 premium economy tickets on 4,50,000 spends (including one ticket for payment of fees). I am expecting a return 8% to 10%.

cardwala

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Recently I have closed this card (7 years card history with upgrades) as no point to maintain with less rewards by making spends above 5 Lakhs. Customer care not agreed when I asked to Regalia downgrade with LTF as most of the new applications got the same. With similar spends, I get magnus with at least 5-6 months above 1 L milestone benefits. Took Magnus last month.
Yeah this card has become less rewarding. At one time it earnings (in terms of 10x) was same as that of Infinia. I feel SBI cashback is a good no-nonsense card for spends on Amazon & Flipkart.

Magnus is not for me as it is not possible for me to spend 1 lacs in a month for bonus points. I just applied for Axis Vistara Signature card.

cardwala

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
I am HDFC Imperia banking customer. I have tried everything that I could think of. They won't convert this card to LTF.

American Express cannot be used for Rent payment (my biggest spend on credit card).

cardwala

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Try to get standard chartered ultimate. Since your major spends are for rent and education/wallet, those are covered. 3.33% reward points redeemable for vouchers.
Standard Chartered Ultimate with 3.33% reward rate is a good card. But it doesn't have an option to redeem those for Amazon or Flipkart vouchers.

TheMentalist

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

I just applied for Axis bank Vistara Signature card (not infinite) as fees is less @ Rs. 3,000 + GST. I would be getting 12k CV points and 4 premium economy tickets on 4,50,000 spends (including one ticket for payment of fees). I am expecting a return 8% to 10%.
The main purpose of applying for Magnus is to get same limit as your DCB
Here's a comparison of Vistara vs Magnus - https://www.technofino.in/community/threads/vote-for-best-travel-credit-card.6625/post-106304

bugmenot

TF Ace
I just applied for Axis bank Vistara Signature card (not infinite) as fees is less @ Rs. 3,000 + GST. I would be getting 12k CV points and 4 premium economy tickets on 4,50,000 spends (including one for payment of fees). I am expecting a return 8% to 10%.
Good choice if you have connectivity of vistara