• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Securing SBI Elite LTF Card While Retaining Existing SBI CC: Triumphs, Trials, Rewards, and a Tale of Perseverance

Sourabh_13

TF Premier
Hi everyone,

I'm excited to share my journey of securing the SBI Elite card as a Lifetime Free (LTF) option under the IIT campaign while holding onto my existing SBI IRCTC RuPay Platinum card. It's been a rollercoaster ride, spanning nearly 6 months, but I'm thrilled to announce that I now possess both cards with decent separate credit limits.

Initiating the Application:
My journey began on December 27, 2023, when I applied for the SBI Elite LTF card through the campus SBI branch. After two verification calls, I eagerly anticipated the processing of my application, receiving a message in the second week of January 2024 assuring me of an 11-day processing window.

The Waiting Game:
As two more weeks passed, my friends who had applied alongside me began receiving approval messages, fueling my hopes. However, after an additional week of anticipation, I decided to visit the SBI branch to inquire about my application status and was told that it is on hold.

Knowing The Culprit:
Upon sitting with the SBI employee, I discovered a crucial issue: my existing SBI IRCTC RuPay Platinum card, with a credit limit of 1.2L, posed a challenge.
  • The SBI's policy dictated that the maximum credit limit they could extend to me was 1.5L.
  • However, with the minimum credit limit for the SBI Elite card being 75K, even the lowest possible limit on the Elite card would result in a combined credit limit across my SBI credit cards (1.2L + 0.75L) exceeding the maximum limit allowed by the bank.
  • This discrepancy left my Elite card application in limbo, prompting further inquiries and deliberation on how to proceed.

Navigating the Obstacles:
After multiple discussions with the bank employee and his senior coupled with navigating various emails SBI Card officials over the next month, my application was re-initiated only to meet the same fate again.

Same Problem, Different Approach:
Then it became evident that closing my existing card and again applying for the Elite card was the only viable option. Initiating the closure request, I was met with a tempting offer from the retention team: reverse the second-year annual fees and provide additional 350 reward points worth an annual fee if I waited for a week and allowed them to look into the IRCTC-Elite LTF limits issue.

During the week, my earlier application was reinitiated, I was asked to resend the emails giving them conset to split the limits between the two cards and I met with one verification call confirming everything, but at the end of the week, I found myself lacking the luck when the message telling me my application has been declined popped on the phone screen.

Challenges and More Challenges:
I was again left with no option than resort to the only solution where I had to first close my existing card. I raised the closure request the second time and told the whole story to the retention team agent upon receiving the call. After a long wait time, I experienced the 'Deja-Vu' moment. The agent tempted me with the offer of making the IRCTC card LTF, asking for two more weeks to see if they can get me Elite as LTF without having to close the IRCTC card.

I again went through a series of setbacks and uncertainties, including multiple rounds of consent for limit splitting and a re-declined same Elite application.

A Triumph Amidst Challenges:
I had started feeling dual minded regarding continuing to pursue the Elite LTF card. I was hit with one more call from the retention team after the few days when I was pondering on whether to live happily with the IRCTC LTF card or close it and get the Elite card.

The retention team agent ignited hope in my heart by telling me how everything went smooth with re-initiating and re-processing my application but since more than 90 days have passed after the first re-initiation of the declined application, KYC will have to be done again and for that..I will have to submit a new application.

After passing through the tunnel filled by one call from the retention team enquiring about the new application, two address verification calls and two limit splitting consent calls, I saw the light at the end.

On the morning of 18th May, I received a call from SBI cards, asking for my 'consent' for having seperate limits on both the cards. I was told that I will be offered 1.5L on the Elite card and the limit on the existing card would remain the same. Within a few hours, I finally received the long-awaited approval over email and text message.

Final Reflections:
Though the journey was arduous and filled with uncertainties, the perseverance paid off in the end. SBI didn't disappoint, and I'm ecstatic to have both cards as LTF with separate decent limits. Additonally, the second year annual fee of the IRCTC card got reversed and received extra 350 reward points in the IRCTC loyalty account.