• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Schengen Visa question: Can I enter Schengen area in a different country than the country which issued me visa?

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
33 countries? do you have a YouTube channel? Lol. You're my inspiration.

I traveled to 10 countries in the last 2 years and my family has been criticizing me non-stop.
Haha. Not much of a social media person. I could save a lot of taxes if I had a YouTube channel though. Maybe I should consider it. XD
My family shares the same passion for travelling, so I guess I'm lucky. And by the way, 10 countries in the last 2 years is incredible! Most people are restricted to exploring a few countries every year, so maybe that's why they are criticising you. :D

Besides, travelling is fun and one of the most important experiences in life IMO. Why do I do it? I meet so many people, I'm forced to be outside my comfort zone, and the overall process is educational. The best part is you realise how much good there is in the world. A lot of the times, even when there is no incentive, people are so incredibly nice to you. I think it is important for everyone to witness that to help contrast all the rubbish that we come across in life.

Last edited:

chasni

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Haha. Not much of a social media person. I could save a lot of taxes if I had a YouTube channel though. Maybe I should consider it. XD
My family shares the same passion for travelling, so I guess I'm lucky. And by the way, 10 countries in the last 2 years is incredible! Most people are restricted to exploring a few countries every year, so maybe that's why they are criticising you. :D

Besides, travelling is fun and one of the most important experiences in life IMO. Why do I do it? I meet so many people, I'm forced to be outside my comfort zone, and the overall process is educational. The best part is you realise how much good there is in the world. A lot of the times, even when there is no incentive, people are so incredibly nice to you. I think it is important for everyone to witness that to help contrast all the rubbish that we come across in life.

I agree with every word you said. It is an amazing experience and learning opportunity.

I wasn't particularly talking about the change in accommodation/transportation either. That's quite trivial and a lot of people make those changes as they make refundable booking reservations(at a premium) just for the visa. It would be stupid not to safeguard yourself and even the visa/immigration officers know that. I'm intrigued because I've travelled to more than 33 countries so far and never have they asked why I had changed my original bookings or travel plan(as I tend to make changes last minute after learning more about the place I will be travelling to), and this is the first time I'm hearing this. Albeit it will be my first time travelling to the Schengen area next month, and I'll probably find out myself. Everyone I have interacted with who has been to the Schengen region never had the immigration officer question about a deviation in the travel plans either. They were only asked about their itinerary and questioned on the same to ascertain whether they were legitimately travelling and to confirm whether they would leave the zone post their travels.
If one is travelling to multiple countries, there's a high chance of adding new experiences or destinations to your travel plan. I'm sure the immigration officers will understand that as well. But it is key to travel to the country that issued you your visa and the fact that most airlines check your hotel bookings and itinerary before check-in shows how vital that is.
Once you establish that you have visited and respected the issued visas in the past, the immigration will tend to be smooth. One of my relatives obtained a 2-year Schengen visa from France last year and when they visited two months ago, they were only asked for the return flight tickets and to briefly explain about her travel plan. The immigration official even made recommendations to visit certain places. All in all it was smooth and hardly took 5 minutes of her time.

Well, I intend to travel to 15 countries in the span of two months within the Schengen zone. Hence the sizable, comprehensive documentation. In most cases, it won't be so voluminous. :)
I do understand, but it's rare thing and could potentially set your mood off when immigration start asking.

keep in mind that we are talking in the purpose of visit, coz the initial visa is issued for visit your friends and family. offcourse they won't send you back if you tell them that you don't want to stay with friends and prefer hotel ( assuming you have money to support ) but I am highlighting here, immigration have this information in front. don't think that they don't know anything or have zero visibility.

have you visited Eastern Europe ? if not try bulgaria and romania then share with me your experience.

Last edited:

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
have you visited Eastern Europe ? if not try bulgaria and romania then share with me your experience.
Not yet. First time visiting Mainland Europe. I will be covering a few countries in Eastern Europe, but not Romania and Bulgaria as I wasn't able to find a schedule for the trains on the Eurail network. I've only been to the UK and Ireland so far. I think both Bulgaria and Romania are part of the Schengen zone. Earlier there was severe scrutiny for Indian travellers(as this is among one of the donkey routes to the EU). Hopefully now that are part of the Schengen treaty, things should be more relaxed.

Not yet. First time visiting Mainland Europe. I will be covering a few countries in Eastern Europe, but not Romania and Bulgaria as I wasn't able to find a schedule for the trains on the Eurail network. I've only been to the UK and Ireland so far. I think both Bulgaria and Romania are part of the Schengen zone. Earlier there was severe scrutiny for Indian travellers(as this is among one of the donkey routes to the EU). Hopefully now that are part of the Schengen treaty, things should be more relaxed.
yes romania was always very hesitant granting visa to Indians, you needed special invitation from external affairs but since they are now part of Schengen, are now aligned with European commission instruction and have standard requirements.

chasni

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Just a question out of curiosity as my last Schengen travel was 2 years ago. What do you submit in intra-Schengen travel proof?