• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

SBI Debit Card Ecom issue

gowthamv

TF Premier
Hi,
I have a SBI Rupay Platinum JCB Debit Card.

Last week, while performing an important Ecom transaction using my Debit Card, the transaction failed and the reason was the Fraud detection algorithm.

(This has happened to me in Axis Bank previously. Usually, I receive a call immediately asking for the transaction confirmation, and If I confirm, The Card will be enabled again for transaction.)

After this failed SBI Ecom transaction, I received a call and it was totally blank. No computer voice asking for confirmation and I couldn't use that card again.

Same evening, I received a call from SBI CC executive asking for the transaction confirmation. I told him that I performed an important transaction and unfortunately your algorithm detected it. He had a small laugh (which irritated me to the core considering the importance of that transaction) and said that many people faced this and nothing could be done.

He asked me if I want to enable the card again for Ecom transaction and I said enable everything and don't block anything here after.

Today, I used my card on Amazon for bill payment and the transaction again failed and the reason was exactly the same. I called the CC and believe me, he is the most dumbest and most arrogant guy I have ever spoken to. (I have a very soft corner for CC people but this time I lost my cool) .He was not at all interested in answering my query and asked me to contact branch for whatever I need.

He told me to perform an ATM transaction and call again. I asked him for an complaint reference number so that I need not explain everything to a new agent next time. He said nothing can be given and I should explain everything again next time if I need a solution and he hung up the call.

What should I do to enable my Debit Card for Ecom transactions?

yusuf646

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
It's a common issue in SBI. Once, my friend tried a transaction with his SBI debit card, but the transaction was declined due to security reasons. Instantly, he received a robo call from SBI that instructed him to press 1 to confirm his transactions. He pressed 1, and the call informed him that he could now retry the transaction.

He tried the transaction again, but it was declined once more. He received another call from SBI, but this time it was a human representative. The representative said, "Sir, your card is being used by a fraudster." My friend explained that he was the one attempting the transaction and requested that his card not be blocked. The representative replied, "Okay sir, your card has been unblocked. You can try the transaction again."

He tried the transaction again, but it was declined once more. He received another call from an SBI representative who said that his transaction was flagged as fraudulent. The representative advised him to wait 10 minutes and then retry.

My friend retried the transaction after an hour, but it was declined yet again, followed by another call from SBI. Frustrated, my friend scolded the representative, using many harsh words, hung up the call, and decided never to use SBI again.

gowthamv

TF Premier
It's a common issue in SBI. Once, my friend tried a transaction with his SBI debit card, but the transaction was declined due to security reasons. Instantly, he received a robo call from SBI that instructed him to press 1 to confirm his transactions. He pressed 1, and the call informed him that he could now retry the transaction.

He tried the transaction again, but it was declined once more. He received another call from SBI, but this time it was a human representative. The representative said, "Sir, your card is being used by a fraudster." My friend explained that he was the one attempting the transaction and requested that his card not be blocked. The representative replied, "Okay sir, your card has been unblocked. You can try the transaction again."

He tried the transaction again, but it was declined once more. He received another call from an SBI representative who said that his transaction was flagged as fraudulent. The representative advised him to wait 10 minutes and then retry.

My friend retried the transaction after an hour, but it was declined yet again, followed by another call from SBI. Frustrated, my friend scolded the representative, using many harsh words, hung up the call, and decided never to use SBI again.
Except for the last two lines, I am facing the same issue in same sequence.

s1t2y3a3m6

TF Ace
Both SBI debit and credit card first transaction get fails. You put your correct details of not no matter if will be fail.

After verify call it get unblock otherwise you have to call customer care in case credit card but in case of debit card you might have to visit branch.

SBI bank customer care have only power to block and reissue your card. They can access s limited customer data but can't do anything.

Last edited:
@RAMESH BABU N sir please share your inputs.
Since it is a DEBIT CARD, you need to visit the branch for unblocking, if the DC is blocked by such algorithm. CallCentre guys can't do much.

Btw, is the trxn related to some banned/illegal/unlawful/unwanted/flagged entities ?

Only ONCE it happened to me during Covid time, when my SBI SimplySave Visa Platinum CC (not DC) trxn was blocked when I tried to pay for Zoom Video Conference Annual Fee for a Pro version. Immediately got a call n I confirmed the trxn. It went thru n my CC was NOT blocked.

Except the above one instance, I never faced such a blockage on any of my 34 obsolete n 12 current CCs from many PSU/Pvt/Foriegn banks.

gowthamv

TF Premier
Since it is a DEBIT CARD, you need to visit the branch for unblocking, if the DC is blocked by such algorithm. CallCentre guys can't do much.

Btw, is the trxn related to some banned/illegal/unlawful/unwanted/flagged entities ?

Only ONCE it happened to me during Covid time, when my SBI SimplySave Visa Platinum CC (not DC) trxn was blocked when I tried to pay for Zoom Video Conference Annual Fee for a Pro version. Immediately got a call n I confirmed the trxn. It went thru n my CC was NOT blocked.

Except the above one instance, I never faced such a blockage on any of my 34 obsolete n 12 current CCs from many PSU/Pvt/Foriegn banks.
No sir. It was an genuine Indian ecom transaction.

the_collector

TF Premier
Sbi is notorious for this. I remember when I tried to pay for my ps plus subscription through SBI cashback, they blocked it and marked it as fraud.

It was a pain unblocking it and they even said you can use it after an hour.

But as OP said, it didn't work and got blocked again.

The worst part is I got a IVR call in a different language, not understanding what was being said, I must've selected the wrong number

Card permanently blocked.
They automatically reissued a new one and charged me for it -.-

Pathetic experience and I refrain from using this card for any international transaction and stick to amex for those.