• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

financewizard

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
This is an awareness post regarding SBI Credit Cards:

I have an SBI BPCL Fuel Credit card (Rupay Variant). In my last month's bill, I noticed that SBI has not credited additional Reward points for fuel transactions and the Reversal of Fuel Surcharges for my card. Even the other spends where I was entitled to get 5x RP or higher were not credited and I was just credited with 1x RP for my entire spending. Then I also happened to check with my friend who has the same card. Even for him SBI cards had not credited RPs and wavered off the Fuel Surcharges. Then I checked for older transactions and with complex calculations, I noticed that SBI is not crediting proper reward points and not reversing fuel surcharge for most of the transactions. Initially, I reached out to Customer care and received a poor response and I escalated the issue until I got a resolution. After escalating to the highest level and looping in RBI, they casually stated that this might be due to a system error and that they had notified the corresponding team & finally, they manually added the reward points for 3-4 months' worth of transactions and reversed the surcharges.
Next month, I noticed that the reward points and fuel surcharges were reflecting correctly, however, for my friend, the numbers did not tally up. Now I believe that this issue is a big scam by SBI across credit card holders (at least to that of the SBI BPCL Rupay card). To all those who are reading this post and have an SBI card, please check your Reward points and fuel surcharge waivers, and if you see a discrepancy raise it with SBI Customer Care. Also, SBI plays smartly by just mentioning the overall accrued RPs for the statement month and not giving the split for each transaction. This makes it hard for consumers to validate the Reward points and they exploit that loophole to their advantage.

So for a couple of months, just use the Card for BPCL fuel transactions and calculate the proportionate fuel surcharge waiver and reward points. Then based on that info catch SBI by the neck and escalate to the highest level. Only then will they start crediting the RP and Surcharge waivers correctly.

financewizard

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

I have an SBI BPCL Fuel Credit card (Rupay Variant). In my last month's bill, I noticed that SBI has not credited additional Reward points for fuel transactions and the Reversal of Fuel Surcharges for my card. Even the other spends where I was entitled to get 5x RP or higher were not credited and I was just credited with 1x RP for my entire spending. Then I also happened to check with my friend who has the same card. Even for him SBI cards had not credited RPs and wavered off the Fuel Surcharges. Then I checked for older transactions and with complex calculations, I noticed that SBI is not crediting proper reward points and not reversing fuel surcharge for most of the transactions. Initially, I reached out to Customer care and received a poor response and I escalated the issue until I got a resolution. After escalating to the highest level and looping in RBI, they casually stated that this might be due to a system error and that they had notified the corresponding team & finally, they manually added the reward points for 3-4 months' worth of transactions and reversed the surcharges.
Next month, I noticed that the reward points and fuel surcharges were reflecting correctly, however, for my friend, the numbers did not tally up. Now I believe that this issue is a big scam by SBI across credit card holders (at least to that of the SBI BPCL Rupay card). To all those who are reading this post and have an SBI card, please check your Reward points and fuel surcharge waivers, and if you see a discrepancy raise it with SBI Customer Care. Also, SBI plays smartly by just mentioning the overall accrued RPs for the statement month and not giving the split for each transaction. This makes it hard for consumers to validate the Reward points and they exploit that loophole to their advantage.

So for a couple of months, just use the Card for BPCL fuel transactions and calculate the proportionate fuel surcharge waiver and reward points. Then based on that info catch SBI by the neck and escalate to the highest level. Only then will they start crediting the RP and Surcharge waivers correctly.
And just as a continuation to this, in a few other threads, I read, that 5x or 13x RP will be credited - if fuelled from specific BPCL outlets mentioned in www.sbicard.com/sbi-card-en/assets/docs/pdf/personal/credit-cards/travel/BPCL-evoucher-outlets.pdf. In my case, I fuelled from a BPCL outlet that is there in that list (in fact in that outlet they were selling SBI credit cards!!) and still SBI did not credit the RPs and reverse the surcharges. Also during the escalations with SBI they confirmed that the RP and surcharge waivers have nothing to do with the POS machine used - like SBI/HDFC/Pinelabs/Paytm etc. As long as the POS machine is mapped with the BPCL outlet, technically customers must get the RP and surcharge waivers.

So be cautious, keep checking your statements on RP calculations and Surcharge waivers, and escalate as and when you find discrepancies.

financewizard

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
This problem is with BPCL octane as well , every month I write an email to customer care asking for missing surcharge and rewards
Okay, this further confirms my assumption that SBI is fooling customers on RPs. So ideally they just assume that less than 1% of the customers will notice the issue and escalate and get the issues fixed for them. The rest 99% of customers will simply ignore or fail to notice the scam in RP credit and SBI Cards is using that loophole to rip out the RPs and surcharge waivers.

SunnyHarsha

TF Select

This is same with every other fuel credit card.. I am using Bob HPCL card and i am facing the same thing, not getting RP. In your case SBI is responding and giving RP. But BOB, They are bunch of idiots. They don't have any basic knowledge about the card and RP. In the end i stopped using HPCL card and using One card for fuel payments, atleast they don't charge us the surcharge.

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
I have been using BPCL Octane for almost a year now and I didn't receive points for a few transactions as the retailer decided to change their outlet name. I raised this with SBI and received all the points that had to be credited. Apart from that, I have not had any issues. Just make sure that you stick to the list published on their website and keep all the charge slips of your fuel transactions.

financewizard

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I have been using BPCL Octane for almost a year now and I didn't receive points for a few transactions as the retailer decided to change their outlet name. I raised this with SBI and received all the points that had to be credited. Apart from that, I have not had any issues. Just make sure that you stick to the list published on their website and keep all the charge slips of your fuel transactions.
In a way you are lucky - that SBI credits you the RPs without any issues. I strongly believe that SBI is targeting customers and doing this RP scam. As I had mentioned in the initial post - for similar transactions (one done by me and one by my friend on the same day and on the same BPCL outlet using the same POS machine) I got proper reward points and my friend did not. The only difference is that I had escalated the previous month regarding the missing RP and he had not contacted Customer care.

Rao

TF Buzz

I am using SBI BPCL VISA CC from past,4 months and for fuel transaction 13x points has been crediting properly within 4 days & 1% fuel surcharge waiver also been credited...can you ping screenshot for more info...Next from SBI CARDS APP got PRE APPROVED SBI BPCL RUPAY CC (10 days old) yet to do fuel transactions on this RUPAY CC after that will revert you..mean while how old is your SBI BPCL RUPAY CC & SBI gives 13x on every 100 Rs spent.

financewizard

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
COMPARING ICICI HPCL SUPER SAVER & SBI BPCL
I don't understand the calculations that you have shared and looks like there are a lot of inconsistencies - like 1.16% surcharge for 1000 is 11.6. But the screenshot has 10 for SBI and 8.5 ICICI. Similarly surcharge reversal is only done to the amount of surcharge charged or less. Like if they had charged 8.5 as surcharge (for ICICI) they will never reverse 1.09.

So can you please explain this calculation or share a link that explains this calculation?

Rao

TF Buzz
I don't understand the calculations that you have shared and looks like there are a lot of inconsistencies - like 1.16% surcharge for 1000 is 11.6. But the screenshot has 10 for SBI and 8.5 ICICI. Similarly surcharge reversal is only done to the amount of surcharge charged or less. Like if they had charged 8.5 as surcharge (for ICICI) they will never reverse 1.09.

So can you please explain this calculation or share a link that explains this calculation?
COMPARING ICICI HPCL SUPER SAVER & SBI BPCL (simplified one), for ICIC HPCL SUPER SAVER FOR MORE CB USE HP PAY APP AND SCAN HP QR CODE. (Earlier calculation was also correct but I didn't hide AXIS IOCL COLUMN)..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231218_104319_Excel.jpg
    Screenshot_20231218_104319_Excel.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20231217_221318_iMobile Pay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231217_221318_iMobile Pay.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Rao

TF Buzz
This is same with every other fuel credit card.. I am using Bob HPCL card and i am facing the same thing, not getting RP. In your case SBI is responding and giving RP. But BOB, They are bunch of idiots. They don't have any basic knowledge about the card and RP. In the end i stopped using HPCL card and using One card for fuel payments, atleast they don't charge us the surcharge.
COMPARING ICICI HPCL SUPER SAVER & SBI BPCL (simplified one), for ICIC HPCL SUPER SAVER FOR MORE CB USE HP PAY APP AND SCAN HP QR CODE

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231218_104319_Excel.jpg
    Screenshot_20231218_104319_Excel.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20231217_221318_iMobile Pay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231217_221318_iMobile Pay.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20231219_102449_Excel.jpg
    Screenshot_20231219_102449_Excel.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 11

Pack_of_Cards

TF Premier

Close this card get Standard Chartered Super Value Titanium, you will be independent of Petrol Pump company and it credits proper 5% cashback on fuel purchase.

financewizard

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Close this card get Standard Chartered Super Value Titanium, you will be independent of Petrol Pump company and it credits proper 5% cashback on fuel purchase.
Agreed, but I fuel ~6000 every month. This card gives only a max of 2*100 as Cashback. And also there will be that 1-3% fuel surcharge. Hence I was researching yesterday of a good option that gives Cashback on Fuel spends and found that the IndusInd Delights debit card gives 5% cash back and also as it is a debit card - there will be no surcharge. Card Annual Fee is 500+tax but can easily get it waivered as the minimum spend requirement is very small. Also exploring other good options.

Rao

TF Buzz
Agreed, but I fuel ~6000 every month. This card gives only a max of 2*100 as Cashback. And also there will be that 1-3% fuel surcharge. Hence I was researching yesterday of a good option that gives Cashback on Fuel spends and found that the IndusInd Delights debit card gives 5% cash back and also as it is a debit card - there will be no surcharge. Card Annual Fee is 500+tax but can easily get it waivered as the minimum spend requirement is very small. Also exploring other good options.
R u sure debit card won't charge surcharge? I also have AXIS IOCL LTF but stopped using it as it's only provide points redeemed against vocher & 49+ Rs charges applicable and I have other CC for buying vochers at Discount rate etc & for retention got 2500 points will closed it after few months & also,have BOB BPCL RUPAY NOT USED IT FOR FUEL (NEW CARD)..SBI BPCL RUPAY CC yet to use on fuel purpose will see it provide proper reward rate as compare to VISA CC

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231218_115735_Excel.jpg
    Screenshot_20231218_115735_Excel.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 12

financewizard

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
R u sure debit card won't charge surcharge? I also have AXIS IOCL LTF but stopped using it as it's only provide points redeemed against vocher & 49+ Rs charges applicable and I have other CC for buying vochers at Discount rate etc & for retention got 2500 points will closed it after few months & also,have BOB BPCL RUPAY NOT USED IT FOR FUEL (NEW CARD)..SBI BPCL RUPAY CC yet to use on fuel purpose will see it provide proper reward rate as compare to VISA CC
I had previously used HDFC easyshop, SBI and Stanard Chartered Debit Cards, I was not charged any surcharge in any of there. Not sure about this specific card,. Need to check if IndusInd Delights debit offers nill surcharge or not.