• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Regret after closing Credit Card - Share your experience

RockyBond

TF Premier
We all post how to get credit cards here . But sometimes we close existing credit cards and then regret later thinking it was a big mistake.

Let's share our experiences so we can learn from them.

My regret - Closing One Card as it was FD based. After using for an year closed it but then one card never gave me a card . Really regret as I will miss one card offers and probably never get it again. :(

CardTox

TF Premier
Closed yes bank card 2 months ago and they are issuing LTF rupay card complimentary. Now regretting.
There is a catch behind it. They are issueing rupay card LTF, so people will use rupay cc only and will not able to achieve yearly target to wave off the annual fee!! I have First exclusive and i have to spend 3l to get my fee wave off, now onwards i will do my most of the expenditures from Yes rupay via upi and will end up in giving them 1,999 annual fee!!!!

CardTox

TF Premier
I closed Axis Select at right time (just one week before the annual fee charges) and Axis Flipkart after getting SBI cashback.... in both the cases, no regret! Now I will be closing Magnus before its renewal, probably i will regret then just not to have this card but i will not pay 12.5k as its annual fee....

rogerthat

TF Ace
First of all, kudos on a different kind of thread!!. Not everything should be about loots and deals 😋

I kinda regret closing Moneyback card earlier this year, because now I realise the stupid rule HDFC has about not giving core card to someone who has a Co-branded card (Tata Neu).

But at the same time it saved me ₹500/yr. And I replaced it with StanChart Smart CC which is giving me a good amount of cashback far more than moneyback ever gave.
Wow are you sure about this? I thought you can have two HDFC CCs one core and one co-branded? Or is it that you can get a co-branded card if you have a core card and not the other way around?

rogerthat

TF Ace
Mostly yes. You can't get or not easily get core card after co-branded.
Oh well there goes my grand plan of closing my useless Diners Club Privilege and trying for Infinia or atleast Regalia Gold. 😕

Or should I close both DCP and Tata Neu cards? I've found Tata Neu to be pretty useless as I don't do Tata brands.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Oh well there goes my grand plan of closing my useless Diners Club Privilege and trying for Infinia or atleast Regalia Gold. 😕

Or should I close both DCP and Tata Neu cards? I've found Tata Neu to be pretty useless as I don't do Tata brands.
You may find the info in this thread useful

Thread 'Anyone got HDFC Core Card as a Second Card after having HDFC Tata Neu card as their first ever (Debut) Card' https://www.technofino.in/community...eu-card-as-their-first-ever-debut-card.15120/

suhasa010

TF Premier
Wow are you sure about this? I thought you can have two HDFC CCs one core and one co-branded? Or is it that you can get a co-branded card if you have a core card and not the other way around?
The latter, yes.

SSMV

TF Select
There is a catch behind it. They are issueing rupay card LTF, so people will use rupay cc only and will not able to achieve yearly target to wave off the annual fee!! I have First exclusive and i have to spend 3l to get my fee wave off, now onwards i will do my most of the expenditures from Yes rupay via upi and will end up in giving them 1,999 annual fee!!!!
How can I request for yes bank rupay credit card as I already have Yes bank BYOC card

iamnisanth

TF Buzz
What if we close the existing card once we receive the rupay one assuming that rupay card will be eligible for all merchant offers?

CHOCOPANDA

TF Premier
what are onecard specific offers which are not available to other cards you people missing, could someone share?
one plus ke website pe one plus nord pe flat 10% or 1000rs discount tha. best for one plus mobile purchase from one plus website. dont woory if u have icici credit card. it was also there continuously. i dont have both

chenrichy

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Why you are holding YFE card as paid? just close and move on to other UPI cards

Tensor

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
That's nice, how did you get it as LTF ?
SBI used to run campaigns at my workplace few years back. I was offered Doctors SBI Card free. Did a bit of negotiation and got Prime. Similarly a very senior executive from ICICI got me Sapphiro and Emeralde Amex, both LTF. Later I closed Sapphiro as both had overlapping benefits.

Last edited:

yolofino

TF Ace
Closed Amex SmartEarn, no regrets now, regretted a bit last year though.

Closed OneCard, no use.

Will be closing SBI Simplyclick next year before the annual charges are levied.

Might close Axis Freecharge card as well as I also hold Axis MyZone & Axis IOCL Rupay - both LTF.

After getting the Yes Bank Rupay cc, will close the Yes Bank BankBazaar cc (it's LTF btw)