• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Planning to retire my Amex MRCC

niks

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I have been an Amex user since 2010. Had a Platinum Travel card earlier which I downgraded to MRCC. I did earn a lot of Bonus points using 1500*4 but now I plan to retire (not close) my card and put it in the drawer.

Here is why:
1. I am tired of the card being rejected everywhere. Guess most of us who use Amex, when we hand over the card to any vendor, we have a backup card ready in our hands in case the vendor says no. I am tired of doing this offline.
2. I got my MRCC directly from Amex for Rs. 4500 per year from second year onwards. Most others got it through the referral scheme for Rs.1500 per annum. I requested Amex to shift me to the 1500 plan but they refused. That’s unfair for old loyal users like me. Amex actually has a higher Customer Acquisition Cost for the referral scheme but still they choose to penalise other users for whom they didn’t have to cough up a referral bonus.
3. I have never got any spend related offers ever on my card while many others do.
4. I have HDFC Infinia and SBI Cashback both. With these cards I don’t see any role of MRCC in my credit card mix. Happy to stand corrected.
5. I don’t need the mental pressure of doing 1500*4 every month especially when the acceptance level is so low

Amex MRCC may be good for some but I am unwilling to use it further. I have crossed my 1.5 lakh milestone so I will possibly keep the card for another year or so. But the hype of Amex MRCC is more than its value for me personally.

aceventura

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I got MRCC card with 4.5 renewal fee few years back. Do I need to close this card and apply again with referral If I want renewal fee of 1.5K? Is there any cooling period after closing the card before reapply?
Based on reading other threads, 90 day cooling period for applying after rejection. Probably similar for this.

ray8285

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I see this as 48000 points = ₹24k (one may argue over this, but this is the accepted conversion rate), and over that the ₹10k voucher. That's 34k over 4L spends, or 8.5%. This doesn't take into account the annual fees, which is negotiable. But even if you pay the full fees of 5000+GST, that brings it down to ~7%.

Btw, this is still just theoretical for me as I got my card only a couple months ago.
Right, So your calculating 0.5X Taj GV. Sometimes transferring points to MB especially if your travelling to a place where point to cash rate is ~1:1 fetches even better value, especially with the 5th night free, of course you need to be MBG member for that.. The problem I have faced is with acceptance to spend that 4L unless your doing a lot gold or GVs .. With reward multiplier you can get even more if you do a lot of GV purchase and use them to make your purchases.

sousnake

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I got MRCC card with 4.5 renewal fee few years back. Do I need to close this card and apply again with referral If I want renewal fee of 1.5K? Is there any cooling period after closing the card before reapply?
There is a cooling period of 90 days. I would say you can try to get amex platinum travel which is first year free use it meanwhile also try to close and reapply for MRCC.
Since you would be having platinum card they might change fees directly without needing to close.

There is a cooling period of 90 days. I would say you can try to get amex platinum travel which is first year free use it meanwhile also try to close and reapply for MRCC.
Since you would be having platinum card they might change fees directly without needing to close.
Good idea. Let me try this. Thanks.

jk51

TF Premier
I have been an Amex user since 2010. Had a Platinum Travel card earlier which I downgraded to MRCC. I did earn a lot of Bonus points using 1500*4 but now I plan to retire (not close) my card and put it in the drawer.

Here is why:
1. I am tired of the card being rejected everywhere. Guess most of us who use Amex, when we hand over the card to any vendor, we have a backup card ready in our hands in case the vendor says no. I am tired of doing this offline.
2. I got my MRCC directly from Amex for Rs. 4500 per year from second year onwards. Most others got it through the referral scheme for Rs.1500 per annum. I requested Amex to shift me to the 1500 plan but they refused. That’s unfair for old loyal users like me. Amex actually has a higher Customer Acquisition Cost for the referral scheme but still they choose to penalise other users for whom they didn’t have to cough up a referral bonus.
3. I have never got any spend related offers ever on my card while many others do.
4. I have HDFC Infinia and SBI Cashback both. With these cards I don’t see any role of MRCC in my credit card mix. Happy to stand corrected.
5. I don’t need the mental pressure of doing 1500*4 every month especially when the acceptance level is so low

Amex MRCC may be good for some but I am unwilling to use it further. I have crossed my 1.5 lakh milestone so I will possibly keep the card for another year or so. But the hype of Amex MRCC is more than its value for me personally.
For acceptance check this out

Post in thread 'AMEX PLATINUM TRAVEL CARD BEST WAYS TO SPEND'
https://www.technofino.in/community...vel-card-best-ways-to-spend.10632/post-408480

rj_arora

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I have AMEX MRCC LTF. I use 20k/month to buy mostly amazon pay gift cards and get 2800 total reward points which I can transfer to Marriot Bonvoy. Good deal. I also have Infinia LTF. Infinia is much better, no doubt. 4500 Rs is not worth if you have Infinia. Infinia is very good for redeeming points on travel/hotels.
LTF how? plz help