• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

[News] - AMEX Expansion in India?

D₹V

TF Prestige
Amex cards have serious acceptance issue.

• It is accepted wherever Pine Lab, Paytm swipe machines are there. No issues there.

• Amex is in talk with SBI also to have tieup, so next month onwards, there won’t be any issues with SBI machines also (currently it depends on merchant willingness to Accept Amex cards on SBI machines).

• With HDFC and Axis machines, it depends on the merchant. Some HDFC and Axis Swipe machines, merchants have opted out for Amex cards as Amex charges higher fee to merchants. So, they don’t accept it.

• Another update is that, Amex is coming up with a dedicated drive next month to increase acceptance. This will include following initiatives

• Users will be able to provide details of retailers on Amex app, chat or email, wherever they feel issue with the Amex acceptance. Amex team will reach-out to the merchants to onboard them.

• They are in talk with major banks so that Amex would be accepted on their swipe machines by default.

• They are also considering reduction in merchant fee to drive acceptance.

• In last one year, they have issued large number of Amex cards and have doubled the list of serviceable cities. Higher number of card users naturally increases pressure on merchants to accept the card.

👆 The above is based on my detailed talk with Amex Customer Care executive on acceptance issue. They are promising that the acceptance will drastically improve in next 5-6 months. But let’s see🤞

• For now, 5 out of 10 offline merchants in metro cities like Mumbai are not accepting Amex credit cards, even in malls.

• Right now, best use of Amex card is Amazon, Flipkart, Myntra, Swiggy, Zomato etc. giftcards, Amex Reward Multiplier and Fuel ⛽️ at HPCL.

Post Credit: SpendWisely

Ps: above words are of the original author. My intent was to aware about this news only.

Last edited:

• It is accepted wherever Pine Lab, Paytm swipe machines are there. No issues there.

• Amex is in talk with SBI also to have tieup, so next month onwards, there won’t be any issues with SBI machines also (currently it depends on merchant willingness to Accept Amex cards on SBI machines).

• With HDFC and Axis machines, it depends on the merchant. Some HDFC and Axis Swipe machines, merchants have opted out for Amex cards as Amex charges higher fee to merchants. So, they don’t accept it.

• Another update is that, Amex is coming up with a dedicated drive next month to increase acceptance. This will include following initiatives

• Users will be able to provide details of retailers on Amex app, chat or email, wherever they feel issue with the Amex acceptance. Amex team will reach-out to the merchants to onboard them.

• They are in talk with major banks so that Amex would be accepted on their swipe machines by default.

• They are also considering reduction in merchant fee to drive acceptance.

• In last one year, they have issued large number of Amex cards and have doubled the list of serviceable cities. Higher number of card users naturally increases pressure on merchants to accept the card.

👆 The above is based on my detailed talk with Amex Customer Care executive on acceptance issue. They are promising that the acceptance will drastically improve in next 5-6 months. But let’s see🤞

• For now, 5 out of 10 offline merchants in metro cities like Mumbai are not accepting Amex credit cards, even in malls.

• Right now, best use of Amex card is Amazon, Flipkart, Myntra, Swiggy, Zomato etc. giftcards, Amex Reward Multiplier and Fuel ⛽️ at HPCL.

Post Credit: SpendWisely

Ps: above words are of the original author. My intent was to aware about this news only.
I would say 3 out of 10. I sent an email 6 months back with the list of merchants Amex is not accepted. They called me and said they will onboard them, but nothing changed with those merchants.

PS- They are all retail chain with multiple stores

moonsmart

TF Premier

shashankrt

TF Premier

Well problem with Amex acceptance is not availability of POS terminals. Problem is high commissions. Even if merchant has POS terminal accepting Amex - the moment they see Amex cards, they are hesitant to swipe especially in case of high amounts. Until Amex decreases commissions, acceptability will not increase.

ray8285

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Well problem with Amex acceptance is not availability of POS terminals. Problem is high commissions. Even if merchant has POS terminal accepting Amex - the moment they see Amex cards, they are hesitant to swipe especially in case of high amounts. Until Amex decreases commissions, acceptability will not increase.
Do not agree.

POS terminals has been a major issue. HDFC has been ruling the roost in this too (We hardly see pine labs or ICICI terminals compared to HDFC) & this is the exact reason why Diners acceptance is not an issue compared to amex. Yes, some HDFC terminals do accept amex but then you have to apply separately for that & most merchants do NOT bother.

Until amex fix this & Pine Labs / ICICI become really aggressive to counter HDFC in the POS game, I do not see anything changing much in the future. It's ridiculous to see how much market share HDFC already has in this game & hence the diners dominance.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Agreed. May be when compared to the other Indian banks. When compared to amex standard, it is just not what used to be till even a couple of years back.
It is very difficult to maintain the same quality of service while in the rigorous expansion mode, especially so in the markets like India, after all the people work at Amex India are mostly Indians!!!! so in some cases the DNA is at play here
Apologies for being critical

Last edited:

ray8285

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
It is very difficult to maintain the same quality while in the rigorous expansion mode, especially so in the markets like India, after all the people work at Amex India are mostly Indians!!!!
Agreed, but then again a couple of years back too it was Indians only that used to work for amex India customer care. The training or something else has definitely gone a few notches down. Blame it on the rigorous expansion or cost cutting by amex !

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
The service has already gone down. It has deteriorated to an extent that is hard to ignore !
Any specific nuances or occasions which make you feel so?

I find it's way better than the rest of the banks but I'm unsure of how it was several years back so it's hard to compare.