• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Negative account balance

ccdc

TF Ace
hello community members,

I want to know if banks can make the account balance negative in any kind of savings account by debiting various charges and fees etc. when there was zero balance in the account to start with. is there any rbi circular in this regard... anyone any idea?

anonymuos

TF Ace
Many users still report negative balance in their Axis bank accounts despite this 2016 RBI rule. I guess RBI gives Axis Bank a free pass which is why this bank is still with so many hidden and illegal charges. They need to be thoroughly audited or perhaps a sting operation done in Axis.

mailmenow

TF Premier
I have a question regarding the guidelines of RBI for not imposing any penalty for non-maintanance of minimum balance. As per RBI guidelines bank should not go any negative balance when the account balance is zero. My question is if bank kept that balance as "lien " instead of negative balance. What we will do?? Do we need to pay the lien amount for non- maintenance charge???