• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

NEFT Vs IMPS Vs RTGS

ontherocks

TF Premier
IMPS and RTGS are real time transfers whereas NEFT is not.
For transfers within the limits of these modes, why would anyone choose NEFT over IMPS/RTGS?
RTGS generally has much more daily limits than IMPS. On the same note, why would anyone choose IMPS over RTGS?

souvikr

TF Premier
Why would anyone choose NEFT over IMPS/RTGS?
Because most of the banks offer free NEFT with all account variants but free IMPS is generally offered in higher variant accounts. So using NEFT is cost effective for some users.
RTGS generally has much more daily limits than IMPS. On the same note, why would anyone choose IMPS over RTGS?
RTGS system is primarily meant for large value transactions. The minimum amount to be remitted through RTGS is ₹ 2,00,000/- with no upper or maximum ceiling

simplegarv

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
For transfers within the limits of these modes, why would anyone choose NEFT over IMPS/RTGS?
1. TRUE, because all the NEFT's are collected and then processed as a bunch. NEFT & RTGS are old technology but IMPS is a recent development.

2. Because NEFT is free out of the all. If all of them are free so I suggest you to choose IMPS.

3. Because it is by default selected.

Now, I am unable to comprehend that what is the point of creating this thread, the system (RBI) has provided you with 3 options at your discretion so, it's your's choice (Consumer's Choice) of what option out of the lot you want to choose.

cardio_guy

TF Ace
If you need to transfer a large sum of money urgently, RTGS would be the best option.

If you want to transfer money quickly and don’t need an immediate transfer, NEFT can be a good choice.

If you want to transfer money instantly, including during holidays, IMPS is the way to go.
Also, If yuo want to Transfer up to Rs 1 lakh instantly, do a UPI transfer (Gpay). :)

CosmicCat

TF Premier
Because most of the banks offer free NEFT with all account variants but free IMPS is generally offered in higher variant accounts. So using NEFT is cost effective for some users.

RTGS system is primarily meant for large value transactions. The minimum amount to be remitted through RTGS is ₹ 2,00,000/- with no upper or maximum ceiling
+1
This is the ONLY answer you're looking for, OP.

Also, NEFT and RTGS services are both managed by RBI, and all such transactions are processed and settled by RBI's servers. Whereas IMPS is a product of NPCI and the transactions are processed by themselves, just like UPI.

To be honest, IMPS is irrelevant off-late and is a redundant product by NPCI, as both IMPS and UPI offer P2P (Via MMID) and P2A payment options. IMPS was once also the laying foundation for the UPI's infrastructure, but not anymore.

NEFT is offered by all the banks for FREE if the transaction is initiated online. RTGS is free too by most banks, but Post Office Savings Bank has the RTGS service chargeable. And, IMPS is mostly chargeable by the banks in their low-tier accounts only.

Last edited:

sm9811911

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

perfectly summarized. . :)

ontherocks

TF Premier
ICICI Bank officials mentioned, NEFT is a guaranteed transfer, whereas IMPS and RTGS transfers are prone to failures and the transfer may get refunded. NEFT takes longer time because it is validated and retried internally for that "guaranteed transfer" promise. So if time is not a factor, one should go with NEFT.

ontherocks

TF Premier
1. TRUE, because all the NEFT's are collected and then processed as a bunch. NEFT & RTGS are old technology but IMPS is a recent development.

2. Because NEFT is free out of the all. If all of them are free so I suggest you to choose IMPS.

Now, I am unable to comprehend that what is the point of creating this thread, the system (RBI) has provided you with 3 options at your discretion so, it's your's choice (Consumer's Choice) of what option out of the lot you want to choose.
Your manager has given you a task.
You give him 3 choices.
1. You will do the task in 1 day,
2. You will do the task in 1 day plus some other task.
3. You will do the task in 1 week.
Your manager goes and asks his manager which option to choose. His manager says, "well I don't see your point in this question, you have been provided three choices at free will, choose whichever you want."

AritraSaha

TF Legend
IMPS is for under 2L with instant Transfer.

RTGS if for above 2L with instant Transfer.

NEFT have no transactions limit, process with 30 minutes cycle.

All banks are required to provide neftfor free , imps is chargeable..

And rtgs required above 2L

CosmicCat

TF Premier
ICICI Bank officials mentioned, NEFT is a guaranteed transfer, whereas IMPS and RTGS transfers are prone to failures and the transfer may get refunded. NEFT takes longer time because it is validated and retried internally for that "guaranteed transfer" promise. So if time is not a factor, one should go with NEFT.
While it's true that NEFT does have a retry mechanism (If it is failed in one batch, it would be retried in the next batch, and so on and so forth), but it's not fully prone to failures. It does fail, and I've seen such complaints on X wherein the amount wasn't remitted to the beneficiary account for days despite entering correct details.

However, that said, there's no way to confirm in NEFT and RTGS transactions that whether or not the money is actually credited to the beneficiary account unless you contact the beneficiary directly, or yours or their bank for the confirmation.

In both NEFT and RTGS, the origin bank (Sender's bank) would generate a transaction reconciliation number when you do a NEFT/RTGS transaction, which is in the format set by the origin bank (For example, SBINxxxxxxxxx for SBI, Nxxxxxxxx for HDFC and Yes Bank, xxxxxxxxxx for ICICI, etc. wherein "x" is any whole number). Then the origin bank would send it and other people's transaction references to the RBI's servers (Called NEFT Clearing Centre) for clearing in the next available batch (Which is run every 30 minutes), and they are then sorted and processed accordingly, and then sent to the beneficiary bank, who would then credit the amount to the beneficiary's account.

When this process gets completed, your bank would send you an SMS/email when the recipient has received the money. But many times you wouldn't get any communication from your bank when it's completed the transfer.

Whereas, in case of IMPS, the money would be in the beneficiary account either within few seconds or the transaction would fail wholly, with the status being updated instantly. Only when the IMPS transaction is successful, the Transaction Number is generated by the NPCI's server, which would be common for both the sender as well as beneficiary.

I have tried to explain it in simpler terms, and didn't go through the big picture, which is vast and more complex. Hope you get the point. ☺️

Last edited:

ontherocks

TF Premier
But many times you wouldn't get any communication from your bank when it's completed the transfer.
I agree to this point. Even though bank says sender would get notification, of date I haven't received any, and every time their excuse is "technical issue". Sender is in darkness.
The point ICICI bank officials were tying to make is, for NEFT the onus of retrying is on the bank, whereas for IMPS/RTGS, the onus of retrying is on the sender.

srikant

TF Premier

Another HUGE advantage of NEFT is that you can SCHEDULE transactions on it for a later date. I use that as my preferred mode for credit card payments, because I can schedule them as soon as I get the bill but for the debit to happen only on the due date (or maybe a day before).

pothi

TF Premier
RML Group
Another HUGE advantage of NEFT is that you can SCHEDULE transactions on it for a later date. I use that as my preferred mode for credit card payments, because I can schedule them as soon as I get the bill but for the debit to happen only on the due date (or maybe a day before).

Wow! What an idea and what a relief having to remember the due dates and actually paying! Probably the best method to pay manually (when auto-debit facility is not available).

I have just scheduled the next payment via NEFT and I am going to schedule every future payment as soon as I get the actual bill. Takes less than a min to do. Worth every penny. A big thank you! 🙏

pothi

TF Premier
RML Group
If you need to transfer a large sum of money urgently, RTGS would be the best option.

If you want to transfer money quickly and don’t need an immediate transfer, NEFT can be a good choice.

If you want to transfer money instantly, including during holidays, IMPS is the way to go.

NEFT is available on all holidays too.

While it's true that NEFT does have a retry mechanism (If it is failed in one batch, it would be retried in the next batch, and so on and so forth), but it's not fully prone to failures. It does fail, and I've seen such complaints on X wherein the amount wasn't remitted to the beneficiary account for days despite entering correct details.

However, that said, there's no way to confirm in NEFT and RTGS transactions that whether or not the money is actually credited to the beneficiary account unless you contact the beneficiary directly, or yours or their bank for the confirmation.

In both NEFT and RTGS, the origin bank (Sender's bank) would generate a transaction reconciliation number when you do a NEFT/RTGS transaction, which is in the format set by the origin bank (For example, SBINxxxxxxxxx for SBI, Nxxxxxxxx for HDFC and Yes Bank, xxxxxxxxxx for ICICI, etc. wherein "x" is any whole number). Then the origin bank would send it and other people's transaction references to the RBI's servers (Called NEFT Clearing Centre) for clearing in the next available batch (Which is run every 30 minutes), and they are then sorted and processed accordingly, and then sent to the beneficiary bank, who would then credit the amount to the beneficiary's account.

When this process gets completed, your bank would send you an SMS/email when the recipient has received the money. But many times you wouldn't get any communication from your bank when it's completed the transfer.

Whereas, in case of IMPS, the money would be in the beneficiary account either within few seconds or the transaction would fail wholly, with the status being updated instantly. Only when the IMPS transaction is successful, the Transaction Number is generated by the NPCI's server, which would be common for both the sender as well as beneficiary.

I have tried to explain it in simpler terms, and didn't go through the big picture, which is vast and more complex. Hope you get the point. ☺️

That's interesting. As per the above mentioned link, NEFT (and probably IMPS too) has legal backing and penal interest provision for delay in credit or return of transactions.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
UPI also support SCHEDULE transactions.