• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Multiple Insurance Policies

aseb08

TF Buzz
I just have a few queries regarding the usage of multiple health insurance policies. Say a person has one group insurance policy from the employer and one person health insurance policy

1. Can we claim the hospitalization cost from both the policies simultaneously on cashless basis?

2. Can we claim the cashless hospitalization from one policy (say personal policy) and the pre-post hospitalization from the other (corporate) policy?

3. Suppose I take deductible of Rs X amount (not copay) in my personal policy, so can I claim that deductible amount from my corporate policy while submitting the claim?

TIA.

aseb08

TF Buzz
Suppose one has 5L (group) + 3L (personal) policies.

1. Based on bill amount, one can use either of these policies or both policies.

2. Usually policies need atleast a day hospitalization to claim, so pre-post alone can't claim. Suppose bill amount 7L then one can go for group 5L and personal 2L but in both cases it needs hospitalization.

3. No. That policy needs some deductible amount to cover remaining amount. So, you can't pay 2L and claim 3L from that policy and go to other policy and ask for this 2L (AFAIK).

(Note: most of the time, both needs original bills to settle claim, that you have to take care)

More details, do read policy documents regarding exclusions, TnCs. Above are general purpose and based on policies that I know, it vary depends on insurer to insurer.
In 2. above, suppose the hospitalization bill is 5L and pre-post total 2L.. if I claim 5L from corporate policy which will exhaust my corporate cover, can I claim the remaining 2L from pre-post from personal policy? Or the claim would be rejected from the personal policy as no hospitalization was claimed from it?