• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Marginally saved from a Scam, please take note

harshar

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Hi everyone,

I got a call today offering Axis Ace credit card LTF. I didn't have much use for it, but the sales person said I'll get a 10L limit, so why not, I thought. She asked me for another credit card statement for a C2C, to which I complied.
Then I got an email from communication-apply@axiscard.online, well formatted and phrased, to click and apply. This sent me to a page for general details and aadhar verification. The final page was, oddly enough, the Ace card all set to use, except the cvv. All that was left for me to get the cvv, was to pay a INR 49 fees, and the card would be ready for online use, to be dispatched at the same time.
Distracted from work, I couldn't see this as an alarm. Anyways, I got another email to pay 49, got the otp for it, but that didn't work (timeout). Waited a while and applied again, got the otp but this time the amount was INR 96710!!!
I appreciated the scammer for her wit, especially since the first otp had amount as 49 which is more likely to be noticed, and the second one had the high number.

I'm still a bit concerned as I had shared the cred otp and aadhar authentication. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    160.4 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

Bigde

TF Ace
TF Family
Hi everyone,

I got a call today offering Axis Ace credit card LTF. I didn't have much use for it, but the sales person said I'll get a 10L limit, so why not, I thought. She asked me for another credit card statement for a C2C, to which I complied.
Then I got an email from communication-apply@axiscard.online, well formatted and phrased, to click and apply. This sent me to a page for general details and aadhar verification. The final page was the Ace card all set to use, except the cvv. All that's left now for me to get the cvv is to pay the INR 49 fees only, and the card would be ready for online use, to be dispatched at the same time.
Distracted from work, I couldn't see this joining fees as an alarm. Anyways, I got another email to pay 49, got the otp for it, but that didn't work (timeout). Waited a while and applied again, got the otp but this time the amount was INR 96710!!!
I appreciated the scammer for her wit, especially since the first otp had amount as 49 which is more likely to be noticed, and the second one had the high number.

I'm still a bit concerned as I had shared the cred otp and aadhar authentication. Has anyone had a similar experience?
The language used in this notification was a dead give away that this email was a phishing email. You shouldn't have provided your Aadhar and OTP details. Now to safeguard yourself, I recommend blocking the card (the statement of which you have provided during C2C).

FinoGuy

TF Ace
My god! :mad:
These scammers have no limit. I hope you've locked your adhar card. & report this to cyber security..
Redflags in that email (on careful check ofcourse one tend to overlook these in excitement)
1) grammer errors
2) joining fees for any cc is not paid upfront. Its charged in 1st statement (experts correct me if am wrong.
3) Rs.49 joining fee doesn't make any sense as either will have 0 or axis specified fees.
4) is there's any joining fee, then how come they activated card & displayed cc number? This doesn't make sense.
5) domain in email was .online which doesn't belong to axis
+ female agent can also be scamsters guys human mind subconsciously thinks otherwise! It can also be a male using voice changing software

Last edited:

harshar

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Yes, it absolutely was a give away.
Blocking my CC was the first thing I did after the call.

How do I lock my aadhar? I know biometrics can be locked.

Thanks!

Last edited:

FinoGuy

TF Ace
Yes, it absolutely was a give away.
Blocking my CC was the first thing I did after the call.

How do I lock my aadhar? I know biometrics can be locked.

Thanks!
I meant biometric only, without biometric /otp adhar is almost useless for financial fraud (identity theft can still be an issue).
+ I strongly advise to use virtual 16 digit adhar instead of original adhar for some added security (even though uiadai claims that it can't be,, original adhar number can be easily obtained from virtual id).
For identity theft issue, you can lodge a police complaint describing the incident & get acknowledgement. In future if any fraud you can show this complaint acknowledgement as proof. (again leaving this part for open discussion by other experienced members of forum)

Predator

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I lost around 40k after falling for such similar trick. I filed a complaint against it online, but they can't do much as in such cases transaction is genuine as OTP is shared. It's better to set a low limit on cards and open it only for the duration you are going to make a big transaction. This makes you safe from such scammers.
But, I know the name, city, account number, IP address, and bank branch address of the guy who scammed me. One day I will surely chase him and make him regret it.

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I lost around 40k after falling for such similar trick. I filed a complaint against it online, but they can't do much as in such cases transaction is genuine as OTP is shared. It's better to set a low limit on cards and open it only for the duration you are going to make a big transaction. This makes you safe from such scammers.
But, I know the name, city, account number, IP address, and bank branch address of the guy who scammed me. One day I will surely chase him and make him regret it.
Did you ever try doing the claim against the bank? As far as I'm aware most debit and credit cards have fraud protection some you need to report it shortly, other banks allow you to do it even months the road.

SunnyM

TF Premier
Bro ,Can you please share what happened if you don't mind. It can happen to anyone of us. This could help everyone .

Wealth is my birth right!

TF Prestige
VIP Lounge
Hi everyone,

Then I got an email from communication-apply@axiscard.online, well formatted and phrased, to click and apply. This sent me to a page for general details and aadhar verification. The final page was, oddly enough, the Ace card all set to use, except the cvv. All that was left for me to get the cvv, was to pay a INR 49 fees, and the card would be ready for online use, to be dispatched at the same time.
Distracted from work, I couldn't see this as an alarm. Anyways, I got another email to pay 49, got the otp for it, but that didn't work (timeout). Waited a while and applied again, got the otp but this time the amount was INR 96710!!!

Thanks for sharing the alert bro
Kindly lock adhaar for a month to ensure safety

thanix

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Hi everyone,

Glad you are saved. Do you remember which payment gateway was used since you were planning to use your credit card? Unlike peer to peer money transfers to bank account, any usage of PG for scamming can be brought to the notice of PG provider. The settlement is not instant and they have fraud protection. So getting back money is possible. Please report this to Axis Bank and PG through social media with RBI tagged and email compliant to them as well.

Predator

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Did you ever try doing the claim against the bank? As far as I'm aware most debit and credit cards have fraud protection some you need to report it shortly, other banks allow you to do it even months the road.
Yes, I disputed the transaction, and bank set up an inquiry against my claim. They concluded that Bank was not at fault as proper security protocols were followed for the transaction to take place.
As most important security layer of a transaction is OTP which I entered on the fake website by myself.
So, there was nothing much they could do

harshar

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Glad you are saved. Do you remember which payment gateway was used since you were planning to use your credit card? Unlike peer to peer money transfers to bank account, any usage of PG for scamming can be brought to the notice of PG provider. The settlement is not instant and they have fraud protection. So getting back money is possible. Please report this to Axis Bank and PG through social media with RBI tagged and email compliant to them as well.
The pre payment page had billdesk logo (misleading), and all other links on the page (policies, disclaimer etc) redirected to the real axisbank website, giving an impression that its authentic.
I'm not sure whether this implies its P2P, but it was a secure connection with ccardactivate-payment.herokuapp.com as the address end.

shub

TF Buzz
Scammer - sir sbi se bol rha apka account and card kyc freeze ho gyi hai eska notice apke ghr gya tha 10500 rps ka, apne koi response nhi diya ab legal action hoga coz notice ka reply dena tha or share the otp now we will settled this..
ME - bhaiya 10500 ka notice aya tha meine to pay krdiya , ab kya mtlb pehle bolna tha..
SCAMMER- shocked, phone cut, simple

blacktiger

TF Premier
also this is why the otp page should have the amount written on it, and banks should specify the amount in otp sms. in most of the rupay card otp page, there is no amount mentioned, and some banks like bob doesn even mention the amount in otp sms