• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Manufacturing spends

vysakh

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Credit cards and their rewards are quite enticing and sometimes you don't have enough spends to get all the benefits. Whether it be the cashback/rewards, the monthly milestones or even to reach the annual fee waiver, a good amount of spends is good to have, as long as you keep the credit utilization in check and pay the bills on time. Do you manufacture spends to reach such personal targets?

Personally, the only thing I've done apart from my regular spends is occasionally offer to pay some bills of friends/family and have them pay me. It is a lot of work and so I get to do this only when I am with them and we have to spend on something. Mostly it's just food or grocery bills. They're quite insignificant as it's mostly in the hundreds and maybe a couple of thousands. There was one time when someone was hospitalized, but can't expect such events to happen regularly and I hope it doesn't.

Looking at the way banks have been reducing benefits, I think wallet loads and rent payments are common ways in which people manufacture spends. I had been avoiding it all this while but gave it a good thought recently. It shouldn't really be an issue because you're shuffling money between your own accounts and so shouldn't be a problem with ITD. You do end up losing some money as transaction fee or commission, but if you plan it well, you might earn that back and maybe even some more.

Have you done anything like this? Has it worked well or gone sour? Any tips and tricks to follow or avoid? Any other means?