• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Major flaw HDFC credit cards (DCB)

birususama

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Hello everyone,
I was trying to pay through DCB in an international website which asked my card details, Expiry and CVV and transaction went through instantly without second level of authorization which is PIN/OTP.
Called HDFC phone banking immediately and the answer was "Some merchants do not have the PIN/OTP requirement hence the transaction went through". How can this be allowed by the bank?
Do you really think this flaw has to be rectified immediately by HDFC? What is your opinion guys?

drmsiva

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
This has happened with Citi CC and HDFC Infinia previously to me as well. Some foreign websites / companies don't require OTP to complete the transaction.

Tejo

TF Legend
Hello everyone,
I was trying to pay through DCB in an international website which asked my card details, Expiry and CVV and transaction went through instantly without second level of authorization which is PIN/OTP.
Called HDFC phone banking immediately and the answer was "Some merchants do not have the PIN/OTP requirement hence the transaction went through". How can this be allowed by the bank?
Do you really think this flaw has to be rectified immediately by HDFC? What is your opinion guys?
This is the reason, the card number and cvv are called to be sensitive.

The international sites/Merchant which doesn't have base in india won't follow 3d secure (otp) transaction.

As @ltf4ever otp was added by rbi to eradicate fraud transactions.

kkk

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Hello everyone,
Happens with oher card as well.

bonheur

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hello everyone,
Then you'll be shocked to know that some POS machines abroad (I can speak for France) don't even ask your PIN on international cards, they immediately authorise the transaction. I was horrified the first time this happened with me earlier this year.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Hello everyone,
1) It happens with all cards not just HDFC cards for all international transactions.
2) RBI can't regulate foreign initiated transactions
3) Keep international transactions disabled all the times except when you use them
4) In some foreign countries, you just need card no, expiry and CVV only for successful transactions . No need of physical card also.
I myself did so many transactions in Australia by just telling them the required info over the phone call.

I think this is enough info

simplegarv

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hello everyone,
Happens with Axis Bank Cards in India too.

shubhamosy

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Yes only can be fixed by network issuer like visa, mc, amex.

Sending a otp every time for a transaction will be burden and entering otp is burden (People in usa). In India without otp means it will be burden, even with otp's, fraud transactions going on.

Thanks to RBI
1693761037495.png
WTF 🫣 🫣

deepcards

TF Premier
It happens on some sites, and in some cases, it asks for otp.
Best is to use paypal wherever possible for international transactions, but paypal has its own fraudsters as well.

amitr29

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Please be careful. I was saved last week due to OTP. Someone tried to do a transaction of 6 lacs on my Axis card and I received OTP. After sometime ,card was blocked due fraudulent activity. Someone was trying to do a transaction on Qatar Airways in Pakistani Rupiah.

OTP is a boon. Keep International transaction off all the time. Switch it on whenever traveling.

deepcards

TF Premier
Please be careful. I was saved last week due to OTP. Someone tried to do a transaction of 6 lacs on my Axis card and I received OTP. After sometime ,card was blocked due fraudulent activity. Someone was trying to do a transaction on Qatar Airways in Pakistani Rupiah.

OTP is a boon. Keep International transaction off all the time. Switch it on whenever traveling.
Are u having a limit open for 6 lacs? Best practice is to have a small limit allowed for daily/per transaction. And whenever u are doing a high value transaction, increase the limit. Unless of course 6 lacs is a small amount for someone, then they shud be fine even if someone fraudulently does that amount of transaction.

amitr29

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Are u having a limit open for 6 lacs? Best practice is to have a small limit allowed for daily/per transaction. And whenever u are doing a high value transaction, increase the limit. Unless of course 6 lacs is a small amount for someone, then they shud be fine even if someone fraudulently does that amount of transaction.
Agree, I am not in a habit of changing limit dynamically. Will start doing it