• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Lounge overcrowding in the US

ltf4ever

TF Ace
hi friends,

i just came across this article: One Mile at a Time: Airport Lounge Crowding: What's Going On?.

though this is US specific, many things mentioned are relatable.

the bottom line of this article, i have personally done this thing 3-4 times; the lounge was so crowded that i just settled near the departure gate which was totally vacant because almost everyone was at the lounge!

repertoire

TF Select
Afaik, even the cheapest US travel credit cards that offer lounge access have annual fees that are in the hundreds of dollars. You can get some of that back as sign-on bonuses and benefits, but they're still a significant barrier to entry. Compare that to India where even a basic debit card from any random bank can get you domestic lounge access.

With overcrowding already present and getting worse with more and more people flying each year, I won't be surprised if domestic lounges in India are forced to raise their rates by a lot, and the more basic debit/credit cards end up losing access.

ltf4ever

TF Ace
Afaik, even the cheapest US travel credit cards that offer lounge access have annual fees that are in the hundreds of dollars. You can get some of that back as sign-on bonuses and benefits, but they're still a significant barrier to entry. Compare that to India where even a basic debit card from any random bank can get you domestic lounge access.

With overcrowding already present and getting worse with more and more people flying each year, I won't be surprised if domestic lounges in India are forced to raise their rates by a lot, and the more basic debit/credit cards end up losing access.
i think it is the latter already happening..... see another post in the community about BLR 080 lounge...it allows only select few cards complimentary swipes.

churn

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Or they will start a tiered approach like some lounges abroad. It's like kind of having the same space, but certain passengers have a la carte, but others have a limited buffet (Different version of what's happening at 080, as in 080 its a separated area)

Gkcards

TF Select
VIP Lounge
few months back, there was a lonnng q to enter into Bangalore lounge also, not sure how many people were inside. luckily I could get into 080 lounge

Credit Karma

TF Premier

I think it's already happening in India. That may be the reason why HDFC devalued it's card, specially on lounge access parameters.

I believe that rising costs of lounges and increasing new flyers is causing this.

Waynoway

TF Buzz
happened with me as well in Ahmedabad intl airport in end of August. When I entered, there were hardly 2-4 people, however, there was a sudden surge 20 mins later . By the time, i got out, whole lounge was full with not a single chair available.

p.s. There were just 5 flights scheduled to depart from 5pm till midnight.

NewUser

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Went on a trip to Kerala on the independence day weekend. Guess what, they marked the lounge at the Thiruvananthapuram airport as functional only for non-lounge access cards i.e., regardless of anyone having lounge access facility, you need to pay the lounge fee and enter. Very conveniently they had put up a board which said "Inconvenience caused is deeply regretted".

ltf4ever

TF Ace
Went on a trip to Kerala on the independence day weekend. Guess what, they marked the lounge at the Thiruvananthapuram airport as functional only for non-lounge access cards i.e., regardless of anyone having lounge access facility, you need to pay the lounge fee and enter. Very conveniently they had put up a board which said "Inconvenience caused is deeply regretted".
I guess this has to be escalated to the bank. Especially by those card holders who are paying more than 10k as annual fees when such benefits are promised. if there is any change in benefits, banks usually notify prior.

NewUser

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I guess this has to be escalated to the bank. Especially by those card holders who are paying more than 10k as annual fees when such benefits are promised. if there is any change in benefits, banks usually notify prior.
Precisely my thought. I thought of taking a pic of the lounge board with the manager standing outside, and tweet. Since it was a long tour and a sweet one, other people forbade me.

I know the lounges have become free canteens of late. But it doesn't give them the right to use unethical means and cheat common people.