• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Is there a tapping problem with metal cards?

Post number 5 has been selected as best answer.

Solution
Many times I see that my metal card doesn't tap successfully. Multiple attempts are needed. Is it a known issue?
Plastic vs. Metal @plastikman
It has to do with the construction of the card. In case of plastic cards, the nfc coil (as shown in attached image of Jupiter Edge CC), is overmoulded by plastic. Plastic of such nominal thickness is invisible to the electromagnetic NFC waves used to interact with the chip.

However, in case of metal cards a metal card of certain thickness is milled and a slot is made. This slot is of smaller size and accommodates a small coil compared to the plastic cards. This reduces the range and sensitivity of the nfc. The chip is placed in the milled slot and powder coated to his it...

techt

TF Legend
It has to do with the construction of the card. In case of plastic cards, the nfc coil (as shown in attached image of Jupiter Edge CC), is overmoulded by plastic. Plastic of such nominal thickness is invisible to the electromagnetic NFC waves used to interact with the chip.

However, in case of metal cards a metal card of certain thickness is milled and a slot is made. This slot is of smaller size and accommodates a small coil compared to the plastic cards. This reduces the range and sensitivity of the nfc. The chip is placed in the milled slot and powder coated to his it but the range is reduced due to the shielding effect of metal.

That's why RFID blocking wallets have metal inserts to prevent anyone from accessing one's card via nfc.
Take A Bow Thank You GIF by Iliza

plastikman

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Many times I see that my metal card doesn't tap successfully. Multiple attempts are needed. Is it a known issue?
Plastic vs. Metal @plastikman

However, in case of metal cards a metal card of certain thickness is milled and a slot is made. This slot is of smaller size and accommodates a small coil compared to the plastic cards. This reduces the range and sensitivity of the nfc. The chip is placed in the milled slot and powder coated to his it but the range is reduced due to the shielding effect of metal.

That's why RFID blocking wallets have metal inserts to prevent anyone from accessing one's card via nfc.

Attachments

• 20240103_134819.jpg
    20240103_134819.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
Solution

Bugs Bunny

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

Learning new things everyday from the learned members. Thankyou sir for a simple yet fulfilling explanation.

sgoyal9

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Did not have a problem with Magnus or One Card ever.

Frequent problem with Infinia and Aurum.

100% success rate with Infinia if you flip it around and tap near the NFC icon. My best guess is the thickness of the card is a major factor. Hence, the need to tap right on the NFC icon.