• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Infinia ATM Withdrawal fees

smakmagik

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Weirdly cant find this information anywhere but does Infinia charge fees if you withdraw cash at an ATM?

Solution
cash advance charges (ATM withdrawal fees) [normal fees - 2.5%, min 500 rs] is not applicable on HDFC Infinia credit card, but interest will be charged on cash advance amount.
Check MITC for written proof.

Hunter44

TF Buzz
I suppose one way to find out is trial and error. I just walked down to an ATM and withdrew Rs.100 using Infinia. Let’s see what happens!
Update on this experiment: The Rs 100 cash withdrawal shows up in my list of unbilled transactions. However, there is nothing with regards to the interest charges yet. If I’m getting charged this interest, it seems like I’ll only know about it at the end of cycle when the bill is generated. Let’s see.

helloworld

TF Legend
Update on this experiment: The Rs 100 cash withdrawal shows up in my list of unbilled transactions. However, there is nothing with regards to the interest charges yet. If I’m getting charged this interest, it seems like I’ll only know about it at the end of cycle when the bill is generated. Let’s see.

call customer support, they may give some headsup. Before unnecessary interest.

QUIKSILVER27

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
thanks for doing this really useful experiment, would be interesting to see the end result.. for the experiment to be foolproof you will probably have to make sure that the entire statement period u have credit balance reflecting in the card to possibly avoid the interest getting triggered at any point.. If successful this will be the best "inbuilt debit card" within a credit card!

Hunter44

TF Buzz
call customer support, they may give some headsup. Before unnecessary interest.
Spoke to three different customer care agents, spoke to Infinia concierge, spoke to RM, spoke to Branch Manager. None of them had come across this scenario before. None of them had a confident answer. Branch Manager was easily the most knowledgeable among all the people I spoke to. He was able to explain some additional nuances of credit extension through excess payment (and how certain additional checks and balances kick in when you make excess payment). Even he was only able to speculate on what could potentially happen.

Still no notification or update regarding the interest charges. Waiting for cycle statement which will come in 10 days.

Hunter44

TF Buzz
for the experiment to be foolproof you will probably have to make sure that the entire statement period u have credit balance reflecting in the card to possibly avoid the interest getting triggered at any point..
Yep, payment due is sufficiently negative. I made a really large excess payment earlier. 😂

If successful this will be the best "inbuilt debit card" within a credit card!
Exactly. If this works, then Infinia users will never have to worry about converting forex cash ever again.

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Yep, payment due is sufficiently negative. I made a really large excess payment earlier. 😂

Exactly. If this works, then Infinia users will never have to worry about converting forex cash ever again.
There is still 2.36% forex charges. So cards like niyo global debit card with zero forex and flat 354 fee will beat it easily, when withdrawing more than 15K INR.

Hunter44

TF Buzz
There is still 2.36% forex charges. So cards like niyo global debit card with zero forex and flat 354 fee will beat it easily, when withdrawing more than 15K INR.
You’re right. I use Niyo as my primary card for foreign currency cash too.
Why did you specifically mention 15k INR? Is there some additional fee for cash withdrawal below 15k INR?

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
You’re right. I use Niyo as my primary card for foreign currency cash too.
Why did you specifically mention 15k INR? Is there some additional fee for cash withdrawal below 15k INR?
Answer lies in the post only 😅.

15K is breakeven point for 2.36% forex fee from infinia vs 354 flat fee from niyo global debit card.

Just to add some more points, niyo global debit card has 1L debit limit in every 24 hours, so niyo may not be useful if several lakhs are required.

And some ATMs (specifically the ones that don't charge for withdrawal) allow only 50K or so in one transaction. So, for 1L also it may have 708 charges for 2 withdrawals (still lesser than Infinia).

Last edited:

Hunter44

TF Buzz
Results from the experiment: ZERO finance charges for an ATM withdrawal when an excess payment was done in advance to make the payment due sufficiently negative. (refer attached image)

The ATM withdrawal entry shows up as the following line item in the statement:
HDFCBANK BANGALORE-URB IN(Ref# ****), with amount equal to the Rs 100 that I withdrew from the HDFC ATM.
No other line items in the statement related to the ATM cash withdrawal transaction.

Conclusion:
  1. Feel free to use an Infinia like a Debit card for domestic ATM Cash Withdrawals. Zero withdrawal charges and interest charges can be avoided by making advance excess payment.
  2. Infinia can be used for ATM Cash withdrawal of foreign currency with 2.36% forex charges, by making advance excess payment. (Currently untested but will test this soon).

Attachments

• IMG_6176.jpeg
    IMG_6176.jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 21
Results from the experiment: ZERO finance charges for an ATM withdrawal when an excess payment was done in advance to make the payment due sufficiently negative. (refer attached image)

The ATM withdrawal entry shows up as the following line item in the statement:
HDFCBANK BANGALORE-URB IN(Ref# ****), with amount equal to the Rs 100 that I withdrew from the HDFC ATM.
No other line items in the statement related to the ATM cash withdrawal transaction.

Conclusion:
  1. Feel free to use an Infinia like a Debit card for domestic ATM Cash Withdrawals. Zero withdrawal charges and interest charges can be avoided by making advance excess payment.
  2. Infinia can be used for ATM Cash withdrawal of foreign currency with 2.36% forex charges, by making advance excess payment. (Currently untested but will test this soon).
You made the excess payment before withdrawing or after withdrawal? My friend had did the same as experiment on Infinia and withdrew 3000 rupees. He was charged 57 Rupees as interest for the amount on billing. He has asked for the breakup of interest. The CC executive told only the cash withdrawal charges are not there but even if you deposit the amount on same day of withdrawal, the interest for that day will be charged.