• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

indian CC for Uber cabs abroad?

FineTurns

TF Buzz
Can anyone please help me, will I have any issues paying for cabs abroad?
- CC is issued by an indian bank, MC and Visa, not AmEx-network.
- it is enabled for intl txns, works fine for card swipes and online.
- i have updated in internet banking with country and travel dates.
- CC is saved as payment method, still keeps asking OTP for every cab booked in India itself.
- i suppose being used as an intl card would kill OTP flow, resulting in card decline?

Going to visit these places shortly - Hong Kong, the US and France. Don't want to walk around with wads of cash, and lets assume the FCY conversion fee isn't a concern, and Forex cards aren't preferred.

I see recent opinions on Quora saying that indian CC didn't work with Uber for them abroad, particularly in the US. Anyone with recent first-hand experience of this who can clarify?

Could their issue be because of RBI rules on card storing (tokens)? Can I leave instructions with bank to permit "naked non-OTP intl txns" if that's a thing? Before these RBI rules, I remember indian CCs working perfectly well with cab services outside the country. But now it's all messed-up according to Quora posts?

Will this same issue affect intl hotels as well? Because some hotels take a deposit from CC at check-in (placing a "hold") and release the hold at checkout.

What is the solution then, is there a way to add indian CC as an intl CC (without OTP/token requirements). Or just stock up on Uber vouchers to add as Uber cash (denominated in INR, will that be unavailable for use outside India) ?

I can't believe this problem is going unsolved, or that tourists are signing up with local banks, or borrowing cards from their local contacts. What are people doing, when they need to use Uber a lot in multiple countries? (airport-hotel-touring, public transport not an option for elderly)

To recap- I'm not asking which card to use for Uber, I'm asking whether you've seen your CCs work with Uber in the usa AT ALL ? o_O
This will be a big deal, make or break, for cab rides that will addup to a lot.

SMGROW

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Credit cards issued in India work in USA for Rideshare companies like Uber, Lyft. In the US you can also book local taxis by calling the taxi company and they have a card swipe machine inside the taxi, so you have an option to swipe/tap your card and enter pin to authenticate the transaction.

akf

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Same question, but for UK.
Should I just load Uber wallet using gift cards ? Normally I use amazon pay in India.

rojajimmy

TF Select
I have used Indian CCs abroad on Uber (South Africa, Armenia, Sri Lanka) and even Yandex Taxi in Armenia without any issues. I can remember using HDFC DCB and Amazon Pay cards without any issues in 2018, 2019 & lately in Srilanks (Dec 2023) I only had RBL World Safari as payment method for Uber in Srilanka.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Can anyone please help me, will I have any issues paying for cabs abroad?
- CC is issued by an indian bank, MC and Visa, not AmEx-network.
- it is enabled for intl txns, works fine for card swipes and online.
- i have updated in internet banking with country and travel dates.
- CC is saved as payment method, still keeps asking OTP for every cab booked in India itself.
- i suppose being used as an intl card would kill OTP flow, resulting in card decline?

Going to visit these places shortly - Hong Kong, the US and France. Don't want to walk around with wads of cash, and lets assume the FCY conversion fee isn't a concern, and Forex cards aren't preferred.

I see recent opinions on Quora saying that indian CC didn't work with Uber for them abroad, particularly in the US. Anyone with recent first-hand experience of this who can clarify?

Could their issue be because of RBI rules on card storing (tokens)? Can I leave instructions with bank to permit "naked non-OTP intl txns" if that's a thing? Before these RBI rules, I remember indian CCs working perfectly well with cab services outside the country. But now it's all messed-up according to Quora posts?

Will this same issue affect intl hotels as well? Because some hotels take a deposit from CC at check-in (placing a "hold") and release the hold at checkout.

What is the solution then, is there a way to add indian CC as an intl CC (without OTP/token requirements). Or just stock up on Uber vouchers to add as Uber cash (denominated in INR, will that be unavailable for use outside India) ?

I can't believe this problem is going unsolved, or that tourists are signing up with local banks, or borrowing cards from their local contacts. What are people doing, when they need to use Uber a lot in multiple countries? (airport-hotel-touring, public transport not an option for elderly)

To recap- I'm not asking which card to use for Uber, I'm asking whether you've seen your CCs work with Uber in the usa AT ALL ? o_O
Indian credit cards work perfectly fine with Uber and other service providers. I regularly use them in UK, US, Europe and Mexico. OTPs are usually not required but when needed, all Indian mobile telcos send OTPs for free and they arrive instantly. I have received OTPs hundreds of times for transactions abroad. I have used SBI Cashback, HDFC Infinia, ICICI Apay, IDFC Wealth and Axis Atlas for Uber and Bolt in the UK, Latin America, Europe and the US dozens of times.

Tensor

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
No.. Indian cards do not work on Uber abroad. Tried both in US and UK. Wasn't able to save my card in the app and prepaid nature of rides make it impossible to use Indian cards on Uber/Lyft. I buy uber gift cards from amazon using my Indian cards. Amazon saves Indian cards seamlessly without any issues and cards work both with or without OTP depending upon the bank.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
No.. Indian cards do not work on Uber abroad. Tried both in US and UK. Wasn't able to save my card in the app and prepaid nature of rides make it impossible to use Indian cards on Uber/Lyft. I buy uber gift cards from amazon using my Indian cards. Amazon saves Indian cards seamlessly without any issues and cards work both with or without OTP depending upon the bank.
They work perfectly fine as long as international online and merchant transactions are enabled. I have used them hundreds of times. Currently I am in the UK and have been using various cards daily for Uber and Bolt. Have used them in Poland, Portugal, Switzerland, Germany etc in the past few months as well. All are saved in the apps as well. I have used them often innthe US, Mexico, Columbia and other places as well.

Tensor

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
They work perfectly fine as long as international online and merchant transactions are enabled. I have used them hundreds of times. Currently I am in the UK and have been using various cards daily for Uber and Bolt. Have used them in Poland, Portugal, Switzerland, Germany etc in the past few months as well. All are saved in the apps as well. I have used them often innthe US, Mexico, Columbia and other places as well.
I live in UK and Uber apps here don't allow me to save Indian cards (Same for PayPal). On the other side, Deliveroo works fine and no idea about Bolt as I don't use the service at all. Amazon works perfectly fine though. I earn Points on my Indian cards (for Uber GV) and Avios from Uber rides. When in India I am not able to use my GBP wallet for rides. It may have something to do with the country in which account was originally created.

Last edited:

Dragon_slayer

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
No OTP required, as international txns dont need that. It will be deducted automatically end of your trip.

Just make sure to call Bank Customer care and let them know that you are traveling abroad and they should not block your card. Although most likely for the first txns it will get blocked , you can call your bank in that case

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I live in UK and Uber apps here don't allow me to save Indian cards (Same for PayPal). On the other side, Deliveroo works fine and no idea about Bolt as I don't use the service at all. Amazon works perfectly fine though. I earn Points on my Indian cards (for Uber GV) and Avios from Uber rides. When in India I am not able to use my GBP wallet for rides. It may have something to do with the country in which account was originally created.
That might be correct with an Uber UK account using an Uber UK app. I use my Uber India app and all Indian cards work in the UK, USA etc. There are times when I have downloaded another app like Bolt abroad and all Indian cards work fine there as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240331_213641_Uber.jpg
    Screenshot_20240331_213641_Uber.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 5