• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How much effort does it take for changing a mobile number linked with CCs and Savings Accounts?

Sourabh_13

TF Premier
Warning: Lengthy post ahead.

1. ICICI Credit Card:

ICICI INB site showed that mobile number updation from the site or through the customer care has been discontinued and can be done only by visiting the branch.

So I went to the branch and asked the employee to update it. The employee told me that it can be done only by calling the customer care and they don't change it at the branch. She reiterated what she had said when I showed her the ICICI INB site.

I called the customer care from there itself but my number in the queue was 74. After waiting for 3-4 minutes over the call, I told this to bank employee, cut the call, and asked her to update the number from their system only. She told me that calling the customer care is the only way.

Then I left the branch and again called customer care after reaching home. After going through their IVR one more time and waiting in the queue for some 6-7 minutes, I got connected with the customer care representative. I asked her to update the mobile number but she left me speechless by saying it can't be done through the customer care and that I will have to visit the branch.

Even after I told her that I already visited the branch and that the bank employee has asked me to call the customer care, she refused to update it and asked me to visit the branch. I calmly told her multiple times that this is not fair and she kept telling me that she can't update the number online.

After I reiterated my statement and asked her what if the bank employee again asks me to call you, she asked me to call the customer care from the branch and then hand my phone to the bank employee. I asked her directly call the branch and resolve this, but she refused stating they are not authorized to do it.

I thought this is too much and then told her that now I don't want to change the mobile number but want to close my savings, demat accounts, close both my credit cards and file a complaint against the bank employee (I shared the name and the ID no).

She then put my call on hold and when she came back on the line, told me that she is taking my complaint for updating the phone number. This pissed me off even more. I told her that this time I have not asked her to register the "complaint" for the mobile number updation but I have asked her to file a complaint against the bank employee and closure of all my ICICI accounts. I also added that, I am recording this call and if she refuses to do any of this, then I am going to file a complaint against ICICI to RBI.

My call was then put on hold again, this time for much longer time, before coming back with a promise that I will receive call from their side within next 10-15 mins.

I did receive a call from them. The new representative tried his best to do the damage control and then I received the SR number for the mobile number updation.

2. Indian Bank Savings Account and Credit Card:

Called customer care and was told to visit the branch. The bank employee only knew how to change the savings account mobile number and nothing about the credit card mobile number. He asked his colleagues and no one knew. He then asked me to change the mobile number linked with the savings account first and if it doesn't automatically updates the cc-linked number then visit the branch again.

I filled the form and was about to hand it to the person on the counter, but he asked me to wait and left. He took his sweet time chatting with the employees (this was not a lunch break on anything) and came to the counter after some 10 minutes. He looked at the form and then said this can only be done tomorrow as the person who is supposed to do it is not present. He also told me that it takes two working days to link new number with the account.

Its been 3 working days now and the new number hasn't been linked with the account. I will have to visit the branch again and see what's on the cards.

3. SBI:

Savings Account:

I was visiting the SBI branch for some other work, so thought I will change my mobile number too via offline route. Had to spend 2-3 mins in the queue and then once I reached the counter, the process was smooth and was done within a minute. I received mail and sms intimating the phone number updation right there.

Credit Card: I updated it through the SBI Card app seamlessly.

In Axis, it took more than 1 month for me to DELETE some junk characters in the customer master file, due to which I can't access my Airtel card or the then recently given KWIK card. Either on the net or on my phone.

No one knows anything about that junk or how it appeared or when it appeared. To whomever I spoke, nothing was ever understood. None of them never heard like this.

Spoke to their CCare at least 5 times - each time talking to a new dud. Explaining everything - but with no solution. Then went to the local branch, met the BM and the next guy.

Got good treatment - thanks to my position (or ex-position) in SBI and the way I explained the issue - technically from the CBS point of view - with what needs to be done at the backend. Got the personal numbers of their technical head. Spoke to him one day n his team the next day. They took a week to delete that junk - through backend tinkering.

Thereafter, till now, no issues. Working fine.

After that, Axis gave me a top surprise, when I changed my mobile number linked to 2 CCs - AIRTEL CC and Kwik Rupay CC. All done within 1 hour. Unexpectedly swift with lightening speed. Shocked with surprise. Happy to see this....

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
For ICICI, I visited branch 1 year back to change the mobile number and I filled up the form there itself to change mobile number also gave attested copy of Aadhaar as a proof. Mobile number was changed in 24 hours. You can try some other ICICI branch. For Indian Bank no idea as I am going to close my bank account with them the next month.
I changed few times just with atm .few years back

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
I tried in ATM a few times but always got error while changing mobile number on ICICI credit card.
Since cc are updated on cibil .. maybe a error through atm..
Atms aren't optimised with cc ..sadly

But i have encountered there is difference between atm beside branch & general atm of same bank .
Even location makes difference in facilities.

Like on my home branch only with 6 digit pin i was able to set pin for new atm hdfc.

But at distant location it was sending additional otp with 30 second to fill was not able to generate properly

SplendorSuperman

TF Premier
Contributor
I visited ICICI to change my RMN for credit card and I took Aadhar and pan photocopy with me but the employee simply denied.
He said there's an ATM at the gate just go there and change it.
When I said it's a credit card and I don't put my credit cards in ATM machines he said then just get out of the branch.
By this time i was furious, I said give me in writing that RMN can't be changed from branch he pointed his finger and said get out.
I went to the ATM asked the security guard to take a look at what I was doing and after the process failed I went back inside and shouted at the employee.
Either you are changing my number or I'm filing a complaint against you.
Only then he took a request and my number was changed.
My icici home branch sucks
Same happened with me , Cc says branch will do and branch says cc will do.
I left it as it is , have no time to waste on this bs.
SBA RMN and CC RMN are different for me now.

Last edited:

vine

TF Premier
I have changed my mobile number with Axis 3 months back but still the old one appears on credit report.
Similar for me too. Am still getting a few (but not all) calls and messages on the old number, Ax-shit service is really shitty. I didn't check credit report, I will check that today.

I think Axis has 2 levels of profiles - one at product level (CC, SB, CA, FD, RD....) and the other at CIF level. Depending on the service, SMS/eMail is sent to the appropriate contact details.

That's what I found when I went to their branch and filled up a form to change phone number (from my wife's to mine). Even after they made those changes to my CC, still my wife is getting some SMSs (not all SMSs). No eMails are sent to her email ID.

So, make sure, that you change your phone/email at both the levels.

vine

TF Premier
I think Axis has 2 levels of profiles - one at product level (CC, SB, CA, FD, RD....) and the other at CIF level. Depending on the service, SMS/eMail is sent to the appropriate contact details.

That's what I found when I went to their branch and filled up a form to change phone number (from my wife's to mine). Even after they made those changes to my CC, still my wife is getting some SMSs (not all SMSs). No eMails are sent to her email ID.

I didn't knew about CIF. Thanks, I will check about it.
BTW, I have only a CC with Axis, no other relation.

falcon007

TF Premier

Someone here at TF mentioned that Axis has 6-7 databases and any updation is required to be done in all databases.

I have explained this to the branch people, but they asked me to open a Savings Account with them to have correct data.

Anyways, after Axis Ace and Airtel devaluation, I'm no longer interested in their services.

I highly suspect that this contact information mess is the reason why I'm not getting Automatic Limit Enhancement for my Axis card since now a year+