• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Axis Magnus How much devaluation would still make Magnus competitive?

Cardmarvel

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
With so much buzz and near consensus on upcoming Magnus devaluation, I would like to discuss how much devaluation is acceptable to keep Magnus slightly ahead of the competition

Of course a lot would depend on which card Axis Magnus wants to compete with. I think the only card that comes anywhere close to Magnus is Infinia and surely Magnus is currently way better than Infinia in many regards.

Let’s assume for a moment that Magnus would no longer allow government spends for earning rewards as well as milestone benefits. That brings they on the same level on that count

If we leave aside intangible benefits such as Golf privileges (Infinia wins), Priority Pass (Infinia wins), Meet and Greet (Magnus wins), BMS (Magnus wins) etc and only focus on rewards, cash or otherwise, at what point Magnus will become unattractive as compared to Infinia?
Infinia has 3.3% reward ratio and these reward points can be converted into 1.7% cash for vouchers or 3.3% cash for hotels and flight bookings. Magnus’s conversion to cash is pretty low 5 ER = 1 Rs. So even with 6% reward ratio, the cash conversion is just 1.2% and even on TravelEdge the conversion for hotel and flight booking is just 1.2%.

The cash benefits only go up to 6% when you consider monthly milestone. Assuming hitting monthly milestone is not possible every month, even with 25k milestone bonus, I would rate Infinia and Magnus near same.

The big differential for Magnus is the miles conversion ratio for otherwise much cheaper ER points. But at 5:1 it will significantly devalue as compared to Infinia. At 5:2 they probably become somewhat similar or Magnus gets slightly better when you consider 25k milestone points. But at 5:3, Magnus will beat Infinia handsomely.

I will happily settle with Magnus at 5:3, but at 5:1, I will go back to Infinia. At 5:2, there would be a tie 😊

What do you guys think?

Cardmarvel

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hard to sustain 25K milestone with 5:4, especially if they continue to count income tax and NPS payments for rewards and milestone. It will be hard for them to take out 25K milestone because they advertised it like anything and the T&C said “continue till card is active”. Well they can change anything but changing something like that will have serious repercussions

They have free hand in reducing conversion rate though. That’s why I am still betting on my stated four steps 😊

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
I hope the leave the milestone benefit and transfer ratio untouched. That was a standout feature. Now that they have severely devalued Grabdeals and other accelerated reward programs, they have reduced the avenues through which people abused the card. I honestly am okay with them adding exclusions to spends that count towards that milestone so that the Magnus still can be a glorious card. Removing that won't make much sense to me atleast, as it is too much of a hassle to wait for those points for a petty reward rate.

Last edited:

Heehaahee

TF Premier
With so much buzz and near consensus on upcoming Magnus devaluation, I would like to discuss how much devaluation is acceptable to keep Magnus slightly ahead of the competition

Of course a lot would depend on which card Axis Magnus wants to compete with. I think the only card that comes anywhere close to Magnus is Infinia and surely Magnus is currently way better than Infinia in many regards.

Let’s assume for a moment that Magnus would no longer allow government spends for earning rewards as well as milestone benefits. That brings they on the same level on that count

If we leave aside intangible benefits such as Golf privileges (Infinia wins), Priority Pass (Infinia wins), Meet and Greet (Magnus wins), BMS (Magnus wins) etc and only focus on rewards, cash or otherwise, at what point Magnus will become unattractive as compared to Infinia?
Infinia has 3.3% reward ratio and these reward points can be converted into 1.7% cash for vouchers or 3.3% cash for hotels and flight bookings. Magnus’s conversion to cash is pretty low 5 ER = 1 Rs. So even with 6% reward ratio, the cash conversion is just 1.2% and even on TravelEdge the conversion for hotel and flight booking is just 1.2%.

The cash benefits only go up to 6% when you consider monthly milestone. Assuming hitting monthly milestone is not possible every month, even with 25k milestone bonus, I would rate Infinia and Magnus near same.

The big differential for Magnus is the miles conversion ratio for otherwise much cheaper ER points. But at 5:1 it will significantly devalue as compared to Infinia. At 5:2 they probably become somewhat similar or Magnus gets slightly better when you consider 25k milestone points. But at 5:3, Magnus will beat Infinia handsomely.

I will happily settle with Magnus at 5:3, but at 5:1, I will go back to Infinia. At 5:2, there would be a tie 😊

What do you guys think?
No devaluation, the benefits should be increased, 10% cashback on all orders (no tnc), unlimited lounge access..Meet and Greet PM (or any other influential persons) 1/ quarter...
Don't expect much more...

dyegosousas

TF Buzz

What do you guys think?
Hi, Magnus team. No, I won`t keep you if any devaluation happen. Kisses and Hugs

gabu

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I hope the leave the milestone benefit and transfer ratio untouched. That was a standout feature. Now that they have severely devalued Grabdeals and other accelerated reward programs, they have reduced the avenues through which people abused the card. I honestly am okay with them adding exclusions to spends that count towards that milestone so that the Magnus still can be a glorious card. Removing that won't make much sense to me atleast, as it is too much of a hassle to wait for those points for a petty reward rate.
yup they should reduce the milestone from 25k to 10k. but leave the 5:4 ratio unchanged.

Cardmarvel

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

What do you guys think?
So they did what I expected them to do. But they also took out 25K milestone, something I did not expect 😂 The card now becomes quite ordinary with just 2-3% effective returns, much lower than Infinia

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
So they did what I expected them to do. But they also took out 25K milestone, something I did not expect 😂 The card now becomes quite ordinary with just 2-3% effective returns, much lower than Infinia
I was in the same school of thought. There is no justification to keep this card if you spend less than 1.5L. If your monthly spend is 2L(the sweet spot), you will earn the pre-deval base reward. But still pretty ordinary.

Salvo08

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

What do you guys think?
What's your fresh take on the issue as the devaluation is a reality now with 5:2 conversion ratio, Fee waiver extended to 25L and no renewal benefits? I think in all this Infinia wins handsomely unless you have some other calculation. Another big advantage is that on Smartbuy you simply redeem 70% of the cost of booking without you being required to transfer points anywhere.

kumars_001

TF Select
I was being offered a limit increase in magnus from 3 lakhs to 7.7 lakhs. I am anyways planning to close magnus by may 2024. Do you think it's a wise decision to accept the LE?

Will they transfer the limit from magnus to ACE when I close magnus?

CMG

TF Ace
TF Family
VIP Lounge
I was being offered a limit increase in magnus from 3 lakhs to 7.7 lakhs. I am anyways planning to close magnus by may 2024. Do you think it's a wise decision to accept the LE?

Will they transfer the limit from magnus to ACE when I close magnus?
Take it. Ask them to limit match it to Ace.