• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How is Fuel Surcharge Calculated? DCB charging around 3-3.5% + GST

gurubhai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I always thought surcharge is 1% + GST (as it was charged on my HDFC Moneyback CC earlier).
But recently I noticed that I have been charged around 3-3.5% + GST on by HDFC Diners Black Card. And I never paid attention on this in the past. 😅
Is card wise fuel surcharge prices documented somewhere ?
Is it just the MDR value?
Also I never take that generated slip from petrol pump. Are details of surcharge mentioned in that slip?
Or does it depends on the machine we swipe?

iAmPm

TF Premier
1% or rs.10 whichever is higher. This is the scenario on most of the cards. you might have 11.8 rs surcharge that is not 3-3.5% but due to minimum 10rs.

gurubhai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
1% or rs.10 whichever is higher. This is the scenario on most of the cards. you might have 11.8 rs surcharge that is not 3-3.5% but due to minimum 10rs.
For Rs. 3000 petrol, I was charged Rs. 136 surcharge.
For Rs. 2400 petrol, I was charged ~ Rs. 83 surcharge.
I randomly search on internet. It says they want give the exact value of fuel price to merchant so thats why a surcharge is there for customer. So I think it is MDR rate only which is very high for diners card.

jack333

TF Legend
Contributor
VIP Lounge
For Rs. 3000 petrol, I was charged Rs. 136 surcharge.
For Rs. 2400 petrol, I was charged ~ Rs. 83 surcharge.
I randomly search on internet. It says they want give the exact value of fuel price to merchant so thats why a surcharge is there for customer. So I think it is MDR rate only which is very high for diners card.
Yes most likely its MDR because sbi cards are charging 35 rs on 3k fuel which gets reversed in 15 days except gst component