• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Help!! Lost Rs. 57,273 in back to back Lost debit card international POS transactions

azaan

TF Buzz
If this was indeed card skimming.
Then, is there anything else that I can do? Because I’m almost certain Axis will fend me off indicating that the PIN was entered.

RishiKiDev

TF Ace
Indomaret or any other convenience store won't do jack. See how many instances are there for 7-11 in the US.
Exactly many of the employees in 7-11 US were found to be installing skimming devices

Then, is there anything else that I can do? Because I’m almost certain Axis will fend me off indicating that the PIN was entered.
Its not skimming.

You left your original card. They know the PIN.
They do the transactions.

aayusharyan

TF Ace
My life lessons that I always follow:

1. For international transactions. Always use Credit Card, (unless ATM withdrawal, of course).
2. Always check for Skimming devices when trying to attempt a Payment.
3. At shady places, prefer Cash if possible, otherwise try tap.
4. Use AmEx as much as possible because they have really good process for Chargebacks and their Customer Care connects immediately.

aayusharyan

TF Ace
Never been to Indonesia but I can say that any contact less transaction above 5,000 INR will get rejected. That's the maximum per transaction limit for contact less payments.

I don't know about whether pin is necessary in Indonesia, so no comments on that.
I don't think so, which country have you observed this?
I bought an iPhone with my Credit Card in Japan. 1L ₹. Tap to Pay (No PIN, NO Nothing). Payment went through.
Other than that even never asked whole across Europe, USA and some Asian countries as well.

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
Don't mention anything about skimming or you leaving the card behind at Indomaret. Tell them you lost your card and noticed that there were some unauthorized transactions and you subsequently blocked your card. You will need to persistently follow up on this and hope that they will favour your situation. They have a fraud protection cover(usually up to 50k for most DCs) for such cases, so that should work in your favour.

RishiKiDev

TF Ace
This has been a great life lesson for me man!!
Is there anything that can be done?
You have to pester the hell out of your RM and Axis bank.
You have to be persistent to cause a pain in their behinds.
Ask them to contact the Indomaret banking provider to block the transaction from being settled to their account.
You must be having fraud protection on your debit card ask them to activate that.

Do it quick you don't have any chance left if the merchant settles the transaction.

I hope you get your hard earned money back from these mfers

aayusharyan

TF Ace
If the OPs debit card had some insurance, then maybe that can be claimed. Not an Axis Burgandy customer, so no idea whether it's there or not.

aayusharyan

TF Ace
You have to pester the hell out of your RM and Axis bank.
You have to be persistent to cause a pain in their behinds.
Ask them to contact the Indomaret banking provider to block the transaction from being settled to their account.
You must be having fraud protection on your debit card ask them to activate that.

Do it quick you don't have any chance left if the merchant settles the transaction.

I hope you get your hard earned money back from these mfers
The thing is, this is a DC, had it been CC, it would have been very very easy.

But yeah, will require quite a lot of efforts and pushing from OPs side.

thanix

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Still PIN is required in transactions above ₹5000 even with contactless.

Most probably they know your PIN via hidden camera or a person looking over shoulder.

If card is skimmed then just block it, and no further problems
This INR 5000 is only domestic limit to be used in India. If you have set up more limit in International, it will work even if forex converted value is above 5000 INR. Always disable International contact less or put very low value.

RishiKiDev

TF Ace
The thing is, this is a DC, had it been CC, it would have been very very easy.

But yeah, will require quite a lot of efforts and pushing from OPs side.
Yes I agree. That's why I always keep only international ATM active and rest inactive when I travel abroad on my debit card.

In these south asian countries most places prefer cash.

In Europe I had more acceptance for my Diners card than in India. 😂

thanix

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
This will be a long drawn process. On your return, file a written complaint with Axis about your lost card and what is the limit you set in International contactless enabled along with FIR copy, and what steps you took to report immediately. You have to state these are contactless transactions. It will take 3 months to get a decision but you need to follow up regularly. Based on decision, you can appeal further.

Never keep more money in primary account for which you are using debit card.

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
@azaan Though it is unfortunate, it's good that you decided to share what happened to you. People viewing this thread can take precautions to avoid such a situation like this happening to them.
I've travelled to 26+ countries so far and been safe from such mishaps. I've posted about a few things about withdrawals in a thread based on my experience. It's kept me safe from these troubles and I'll share the same for your future reference.
Post in Thread->Atm Withdrawals Abroad

telescope

TF Ace
I've never enabled contactless payments. But contactless is the safest way to pay(for transactions under Rs.5k)
I agree contact less is safe, but that is until the card is with you. If you lost your card, anyone can use it without pin.
This INR 5000 is only domestic limit to be used in India. If you have set up more limit in International, it will work even if forex converted value is above 5000 INR. Always disable International contact less or put very low value.

I don't think so, which country have you observed this?
I bought an iPhone with my Credit Card in Japan. 1L ₹. Tap to Pay (No PIN, NO Nothing). Payment went through.
Other than that even never asked whole across Europe, USA and some Asian countries as well.
And if this is the case then bank account will be emptied in no time if contact less is enabled.

imdjay

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Once I lost around 4L in a online hack with several txns.
All those were disputed and I received the whole amount.

As you have already intimated the bank, they should dispute txns. Donot worry.
Your debit card is also insured for 50k.

Nemesis

TF Premier
If you have internet then switch on off international transactions once transaction done specially on debit card with huge balance or having OD on it.

Keep forex card to be on safe side for withdrawal.