• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Hard Enquiry, if CIBIL does not exist

talkwithfino

TF Premier
I recently tried to use my Debit Card for an EMI transaction, and I had 35% more amount in my bank account than required for the Debit. Despite that, the bank rejected my Payment (It showed on payment page that Bank has declined transaction). Upon searching on the internet, I came to know Banks normally check your CIBIL for Debit card EMI. I do not have any CC; hence no CIBIL
SO, my question is can a bank still make an enquiry into my CIBIL.... if I don't have one....😅 and does it affect my CIBIL in any way?

prc1990

TF Ace
I recently tried to use my Debit Card for an EMI transaction, and I had 35% more amount in my bank account than required for the Debit. Despite that, the bank rejected my Payment (It showed on payment page that Bank has declined transaction). Upon searching on the internet, I came to know Banks normally check your CIBIL for Debit card EMI. I do not have any CC; hence no CIBIL
SO, my question is can a bank still make an enquiry into my CIBIL.... if I don't have one....😅 and does it affect my CIBIL in any way?
Since you are opting for an EMI irrespective of where you are repaying it from (DC/CC), you are basically using the concept of credit and hence, CIBIL enquiry was made which is logically right.

chacks18

TF Select
Yes.
Debit Card EMI is actually a Consumer Durable Loan.
And for that Bank might perform a CIBIL check and make an enquiry for the same.
If you do not have your score generated, it will definitely not going to impact in any way.
But in long run, for your future credit applications, lenders might have a look for your previous enquiries and to add for most of the cases your enquiries are not considered by the lenders if you have a strong profile.
Further, only the no. of enquiries made in last three years is considered to assess your credit score as per CIBIL.
So, for the enquiry there's no point of worrying about the enquiries made more than three years ago.

Also, just wanted to ask if you had any pre-approved limit assigned for Debit Card EMI?

Last edited:

chacks18

TF Select
No, as of now I do not have any pre approved emi limit
That's probably the reason behind credit enquiries, I guess. Because mostly banks will not perform a CIBIL check if you have any pre-approved offer. I do have 15k limit for Kotak Debit card and 30k limit for ICICI Debit card. I'll just confirm with the customer care whether there will be a credit enquiry for my pre-approved DC EMI offers (I'm pretty sure there won't be as it is pre-approved).