• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

First time flyer, suggestions/tips.

Post number 2 has been selected as best answer.

helloworld

TF Legend
Please answer in domestic travel point of view (travel journey including layover)

[1] Do we have to mandatorily pay and select seats?
[2] What happens to couple if they don't select seats (what are the possibility that they sit separately in that plane)?
[3] Web Check-in what is it? when do we have to do it? Any advantage with it?
[4] Baggage tag, do we have to print and stick on bag? Is it mandatory or optional?
[5] Luggage tips for maintaining 15kgs/7kgs (couple point of view)?
[6] When do we can go for Lounge access during this 2.30hr layover, is it possible or have to wait for something outside?
[7] What are the latest travel guidelines like Covid certificates etc. recommendations?
[8] Soft copies do the job or any hard copies necessary?

Some terminology may-not be accurate, but I hope if you travel on flight you got what my request is?

Do share if anything is missing? TIA.

Reference:

Last edited:

hks789

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
1. No you don't necessarily need to.
2. Depends on how full the flight is, or how others have web checked in.
3. Basically you are confirming your availability.
Personal tip: You can web check in with free seats available and come to the airport. Then go to the Kiosk machines or check-in counter to change seats for free(side seats that were paid one during web check-in).
4. Not necessary. May depend on the airport
5. I do weigh my luggage at home while packing.
6. Yes. You don't need to wait for anything unless you need manually collect your check-in luggage. If your connection flight is the same carrier you don't need to do this.
7. Some airports won't let you in without a mask. That's all
8. Soft copies are enough but if you only have one digital device I would recommend a hardcopy as well

Hope this helps. Happy first flight :)

Last edited:

helloworld

TF Legend
Thanks, on safe side even if we selected seats with additional pay. And still there is TnC which says "Please note, seats may be re-assigned without prior notice in case of unavoidable operational reasons only."

So, nothing gurantee in flight journey

Last edited:

CMG

TF Ace
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Thanks, on safe side selected seats with additional pay. And still there is TnC which says "Please note, seats may be re-assigned without prior notice in case of unavoidable operational reasons only."

So, nothing gurantee in flight journey?
carriers even overbook flight.

1. No you don't necessarily need to.
2. Depends on how full the flight is, or how others have web checked in.
3. Basically you are confirming your availability.
Personal tip: You can web check in with free seats available and come to the airport. Then go to the Kiosk machines or check-in counter to change seats for free(side seats that were paid one during web check-in).
4. Not necessary. May depend on the airport
5. I do weigh my luggage at home while packing.
6. Yes. You don't need to wait for anything unless you need manually collect your check-in luggage. If your connection flight is the same carrier you don't need to do this.
7. Some airports won't let you in without a mask. That's all
8. Soft copies are enough but if you only have one digital device I would recommend a hardcopy as well

Hope this helps. Happy first flight :)
if nothing else works, you can approach the airhostess for helping,
Personally I got help once so that me and wife doesn't have to sit in different places

helloworld

TF Legend
If flight is overbooked then you can get 2X bas fare from the airlines back
Not sure to whom it maybe useful but for occasional trip planner, it will do more harm than to get 2x compensation.

Few observed issues with Flying:

- Flight fares random (depends on cookie too).
- Even if booked there is no guarantee that all people in that PNR will sit together.
- Even selected seat, airline may reassigned to someone else depends on their convenience.

One thing is clear is that it's not Bus or Train ticket booking where we can argue if someone sit in our seats, here we can't do anything if airline intervene in that matter.

Looks like have to some few more suprises by the time journey completes.

Srini

TF Buzz
It helps to do webchekin with Auto seat assignment to ensure a seat is blocked and you're not dropped on a fully booked site.

And then join checkin que at airport (90 to 120 minutes ealry) to request for side by seats.. Normally checkin agents accept.. (exceptions are fully booked flights, connecting flights...)

hks789

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
It helps to do webchekin with Auto seat assignment to ensure a seat is blocked and you're not dropped on a fully booked site.

And then join checkin que at airport (90 to 120 minutes ealry) to request for side by seats.. Normally checkin agents accept.. (exceptions are fully booked flights, connecting flights...)
You can also do this through the Kiosk machines (provided the seats are available).

amit

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Please answer in domestic travel point of view (travel journey - 7 hours including 2.30hrs layover)

[1] Do we have to mandatorily pay and select seats? During/after booking you can select choice of seat on paid or free basis (Vistara gives you last 3-4 rows free of cost for all seat) or at airport in kiosk machine you can get few free seat as well or at counter u can ask for window seat (first time flyer/couple/avgeek) for free, explain your situation but you need go early at the airport for that. If you dont wanna loose your fav seat/window seat lover, pay for seat.
[2] What happens to couple if they don't select seats (what are the possibility that they sit separately in that plane)? If your seat is not selected - no problem. They can allot you separate seat in same plane based on how late you booked the ticket (few hrs before flight/2-3 days prior to departure) Most of the time they allot adjuscnt seat for same PNR (sometime they allot aisle seat for both of you, next to each other)
[3] Web Check-in what is it? when do we have to do it? Any advantage with it? If you are travelling with hand baggage (7kg) and dont want to get in queue for boarding pass then do web checkin from your home (web checkin open 48 hrs prior to departure time) after entering the airport you can directly go to the security area.
[4] Baggage tag, do we have to print and stick on bag? Is it mandatory or optional? NO, this was during covid time, No Indian airline is asking for now in domestic sector (not confirm for international) it is not mandatory or not optional, this is solely airlines job to give/stick baggage tag. Dont do their job.
[5] Luggage tips for maintaining 15kgs/7kgs (couple point of view)? Couple point of view no any hack, if solo traveller u can do many things. just keep the weight unde that.
[6] When do we can go for Lounge access during this 2.30hr layover, is it possible or have to wait for something outside? You can stay at lounge for 3hrs (in this case u can spend your entier layover time at lounge, but 2:30 hrs layover means u have to get off from the 1st plane collect your luggage-if your not flying wih same airline, go through the security, go to the lounge and get out from lounge 40 min prior to the departure time) so basically u left with 1hrs for lounge time and that also depend upon which airport u were flying for your 2nd connection.
[7] What are the latest travel guidelines like Covid certificates etc. recommendations? For India there is NO more Covid guidelines, all are over now, just last week aviation department announced that you dont have wear a mask inside the plane, so no mask, no certificate, no guidelines (It's up to indivisual to wear a mask or not)
[8] Soft copies do the job or any hard copies necessary? Soft copies do the job, but I always prefer hard copies of booked ticket and visas.

helloworld

TF Legend
Thanks for the inputs, really helpful.

[5] Luggage tips for couples? Do any airlines accept instead of carrying 15kg/person (30kg/2), if 2 or more people book the ticket then single bag of 20kg for 2 peoples like that?

Also, what about luggage insurance (heard few stories regarding missing luggage which will be worst scenario during trip btw), when and where to purchase, if needed? I know some credit cards provide that but if whatever card we used didn't provide any lost-baggage support?

Edit: Indigo, GoFirst, and Vistara considered this type of option. They're not particularlly strict with a bag of 15kg/person rather considering total 30Kgs.

Last edited:

metal_heart

TF Premier
Yes, you can combine the luggage but not single luggage should weigh more than 32 kg (This is to ensure that luggage can be lifted by support staff )

You can take luggage insurance while booking tickets, it gives you a checkbox for same

NewUser

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Please answer in domestic travel point of view (travel journey - 7 hours including 2.30hrs layover)

[1] Do we have to mandatorily pay and select seats?
[2] What happens to couple if they don't select seats (what are the possibility that they sit separately in that plane)?
[3] Web Check-in what is it? when do we have to do it? Any advantage with it?
[4] Baggage tag, do we have to print and stick on bag? Is it mandatory or optional?
[5] Luggage tips for maintaining 15kgs/7kgs (couple point of view)?
[6] When do we can go for Lounge access during this 2.30hr layover, is it possible or have to wait for something outside?
[7] What are the latest travel guidelines like Covid certificates etc. recommendations?
[8] Soft copies do the job or any hard copies necessary?

Some terminology may-not be accurate, but I hope if you travel on flight you got what my request is?

Do share if anything is missing? TIA.

Reference:
[3] If you're travelling as a couple, I think it'd be better if you do a web-checkin before going to the airport. Web check-in opens 6-12 hrs before departure. You need to go to the airline's website and enter your PNR and last name. They'll give your boarding pass as PDF.
[5] The 15kg/7kg should be 30 kg/14kg for couples. However, to avail this, you need to have both your names in the same ticket. If both of you have different tickets, it'd be treated as 15kg/7kg individually.
Luggage insurance is mostly optional, and very few people do it. If you wish, you can, however.
[8] Some airports have hard copies as mandatory. Ranchi is one such airport(very recently they have converted to soft copy as well). But usually, even such airports have the facility to print boarding pass, if you're not carrying hard copy.
[9] If you're travelling as a couple, I'd recommend booking a cab beforehand instead of waiting for the nth hour and booking instantly.

1& 2 You can see the seat selection for majority of airlines while booking...some seats like middle ones and seat on back rows you can select complimentary but for couple you need to pay while doing booking if you want particular seats and adjacent seata...If you don't select seats prior, at the check in counter you get complimentary seats but no guarantee that you get adjacent seats or your preferred ones!

3- At the time of web check-in you can again get a chance to book seats but choice is very limited! Always advisable to go to airport early if your are looking for particular seats but again no guarantee for that that you will get!

Batmanbaba

TF Legend
Just remember don't try to open the gate of plane while its in air.... And don't take a snake on plane ( hint- there is movie called snakes on a plane) if u don't want its sequel to happen... 😂

Srini

TF Buzz
On luggage limit clubbing, I faced an issue with Indigo. They were allowing only if both tickets are on same PNR (not with 2 separate tickets).

avishj

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
[3] If you're travelling as a couple, I think it'd be better if you do a web-checkin before going to the airport. Web check-in opens 6-12 hrs before departure. You need to go to the airline's website and enter your PNR and last name. They'll give your boarding pass as PDF.
[5] The 15kg/7kg should be 30 kg/14kg for couples. However, to avail this, you need to have both your names in the same ticket. If both of you have different tickets, it'd be treated as 15kg/7kg individually.
Luggage insurance is mostly optional, and very few people do it. If you wish, you can, however.
[8] Some airports have hard copies as mandatory. Ranchi is one such airport(very recently they have converted to soft copy as well). But usually, even such airports have the facility to print boarding pass, if you're not carrying hard copy.
[9] If you're travelling as a couple, I'd recommend booking a cab beforehand instead of waiting for the nth hour and booking instantly.
Not sure when you faced issues with Ranchi requiring hard copies, have flown out of there for several years, never ever needed a hard copy

NewUser

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Not sure when you faced issues with Ranchi requiring hard copies, have flown out of there for several years, never ever needed a hard copy
I have been asked several times to get a print out from kiosk machine, if I am not carrying a hard copy already. The reason is after security check, the policeman(doing the check) would need to stamp my ticket to confirm successful check and let me pass.

In other places like Hyderabad, for verification, we need to scan the ticket before physical check, and the policeman would mark "verified" on the screen after asking the name at their end. Last checked, Ranchi didn't have this system set-up at their end.

Now, they just ignore the stamping. So you can carry a soft copy of the ticket, since it is assumed that the security check is successful(no verification by the policeman after checking).

avishj

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I have been asked several times to get a print out from kiosk machine, if I am not carrying a hard copy already. The reason is after security check, the policeman(doing the check) would need to stamp my ticket to confirm successful check and let me pass.

In other places like Hyderabad, for verification, we need to scan the ticket before physical check, and the policeman would mark "verified" on the screen after asking the name at their end. Last checked, Ranchi didn't have this system set-up at their end.

Now, they just ignore the stamping. So you can carry a soft copy of the ticket, since it is assumed that the security check is successful(no verification by the policeman after checking).
Oh okay, I got what you meant, I was never asked while entering the airport, but I either check in and get that fancy boarding pass or else get that paper one from the kiosk always, so wouldn't have ever been an issue for me.