• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Faroe Islands - Unspoiled panorama of nature after discovering the heart of Denmark- Copenhagen

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
The Faroe Islands meaning sheep islands are a group of 18 islands in the North Atlantic Ocean. There are more sheep than people in the Faroe Islands.

They are a part of the Kingdom of Denmark.

We planned our trip with a week in Faroe Islands and couple of days in Copenhagen, Denmark.

The Faroe Islands are NOT part of the Schengen Area. Consequently, people cannot enter the Faroe Islands based on their Schengen visas or Danish visa. When a visa is applied for at the Danish Embassy, it must be specifically for the Faroe Islands.

A visa for Denmark does not give the holder the right to enter the Faroe Islands unless it is stated in the visa, just as a visa for the Faroe Islands does not give the holder the right to enter Denmark if it is not stated in the visa.

We planned this trip in last week of June.
Summers are ideal for spotting puffins, driving around the islands, hiking and exploring the islands. Prices are usually at the peak during the summer..

Pack warm waterproof jackets and hiking shoes as even summers are cool and windy and weather is unpredictable.

We booked Air India direct flight to Copenhagen from Delhi economy for 45k miles per pax one way plus taxes ~2K. Revenue costing was around 44K so got decent value on them. These miles were accumulated on my Air India Signature Card back then.

In Copenhagen we booked Copenhagen Marriott Hotel for 2 nights on points for 90K points. Revenue rate was going for ~3000DKK/night. They upgraded us to high floor, water view with concierge executive lounge access which took care of our breakfast and evening snacks. Revenue rate for this room was 3700DKK.

Main advantage for us was that It was right on the waterfront of the Copenhagen Harbour and short distance from popular attractions such as Tivoli Gardens, City Hall Square.

We rented out bicycles for travelling in the city through Donkey Republic Bike rentals for ~ 100 DKK for 24hrs.

It was breath of pleasant air riding our bicycles exploring the city, which is world’s most bike friendly capital.

We visited Frederiksberg Palace, Copenhagen Zoo specifically to see a Panda which was recently relocated there, Kastellet, the little mermaid statue, Amalienborg, Frederik’s Church, Nyhavn, Christiansborg palace, City Hall, Tivoli Garden, Rosenberg Castle and took a canal boat tour.

Atlantic Airways and SAS offer flights to Faroe Islands from Copenhagen. We took on Atlantic Airways, revenue ticket booked through smartbuy on DCB for 40K (before devaluation restricting caps).

We choose Hertz car rental for 7 days ~7000 DKK, got a Nissan Qashqai and hertz was cheapest at that time. To drive through the 2 sub-sea tunnels, one has to pay a toll of ~ 80-100 DKK. It was indeed One of the most scenic places I have driven in.

Takes about an hour to reach Tórshavn from Vagar Airport.

We based ourselves in Tórshavn for 4 nights at Havgrim Sea Side hotel for 8000DKK.

And The View, Bøur, a vacation home for 3 nights for 5100DKK.

Burger King was our saviour for being a vegetarian on the island. Whenever we didn’t find anything we headed up there.

We explored Tórshavn the day we arrived.

Drove to the nearby Kirkjubøur village and Norðradalur.

On Streymoy Island , Visited village of Saksun, comprising of beautiful cottages, surrounded by mountains followed by village of Tjørnuvík.

On our way back from Tjørnuvík to Tórshavn, we stopped at Fossá waterfalls – one of the highest in Faroe Islands.

We took Vestmanna Cliffs tour on boat through the mountains and caves of Vestmanna, which is known for its bird cliffs for ~295DKK/pax.

We also took the helicopter ride offered by Atlantic Airways to see the panoramic views of the island for ~1650DKK/pax.

Next day on the island of Eysturoy, we visited village of Gjógv and then did the Funningur Hike, for one of the most impressive views of the fjords .

Following day we took the ferry to Mykines Island for bird watching to puffins. This was a difficult hike for us as the weather was very windy with a drizzle but worth it.

During our Stay in The View, Bøur On the island of Vágar we drove to Gasadalur and Mulafossur waterfall.

Sørvágsvatn or Leitisvatn (lake over the ocean) hike for 45 minutes or so along the lake to reach Trælanípa.

Both the places we stayed were worth every penny.

At The View, our holiday home we relaxed on the last day. Bought some veggies and had a home cooked meal watching friends on Netflix with a view from the windows which were still ache for today.

It was an offbeat road trip with hiking, bird watching and just being away from the world in nature’s unspoiled panoramas and scenic villages.
Awesome Post bro.
Denmark is indeed lovely.

raulapower

TF Neo
Hi Ankur, I consider myself very fortunate to find you here, because I have been trying to find anyone (especially Indians) for the last 2 months who have done Faroe Islands.
I have booked my flights (for July 2024) and planning to lock on accommodation and car booking and then apply for a Visa. 9 Days of Faroe + 3 days of Copenhagen.
Q: Is there any way car booking can be done on miles?
Q: If I have 9 days, would you recommend booking only 1 accommodation in Torshavn? and covering all the places I have to visit keeping that as the base?
Q I am planning to do 1 hike every day - is that feasible?
Sorry to bombard you with so many questions - happy to discuss on DM if that suits you!
Thanks a lot again, for whatever insights you have shared so far!

Ankur dhanda

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hi Ankur, I consider myself very fortunate to find you here, because I have been trying to find anyone (especially Indians) for the last 2 months who have done Faroe Islands.
I have booked my flights (for July 2024) and planning to lock on accommodation and car booking and then apply for a Visa. 9 Days of Faroe + 3 days of Copenhagen.
Q: Is there any way car booking can be done on miles?
Q: If I have 9 days, would you recommend booking only 1 accommodation in Torshavn? and covering all the places I have to visit keeping that as the base?
Q I am planning to do 1 hike every day - is that feasible?
Sorry to bombard you with so many questions - happy to discuss on DM if that suits you!
Thanks a lot again, for whatever insights you have shared so far!
Hello
Glad to be of help.
1. Yes car booking can be done through miles. United, Delta, Miles & More, avios, virgin Atlantic but because of its location it may not be available with all and if available might be exorbitantly priced. Need to check.
2. You can stay at one place that but might need an hour drive atleast if you are going to far off and tunnel charges. So either take unlimited tunnel during car rental.
Would totally depend where all you plan to go.
3. 1 hike everyday is feasible depending on your physical fitness and duration of hike. We did short less demanding hikes.

I’ll be happy to help with anything you may need to know further

raulapower

TF Neo
Hi Ankur,

Writing to you after going through many itineraries (including yours) and I have narrowed it down to the below for 10 Days & 9 nights in the Faroe Islands. Have a few follow-up questions as well for the itinerary.
I am going in the first week of July and hence will have more daylight available to cover everything.
Planning to pick up the car directly from the airport, and choose my accommodation in Torshavn for all 10 days approximately 3 kms. from the city center.
Also agree with your earlier suggestion of not booking the car through miles, it just isn't giving me the optimal ROI on reward points.

QUESTIONS -
- Do you think the plan is too cramped? Do I need to de-cram it?
- Since I am traveling every day to & fro from Torshavn to the respective islands, you recommended I get a tunnel pass - where can I get this from? In my opinion, since I am 2 days on the Streymoy only, and the tunnel pass anyway doesn't cover the Esturoy tunnel, it won't make sense. Let me know what your POV is.
- For Mykines & Sandoy/Sudoroy - while I have planned it on Day 4 and 8 respectively, do you recommend booking the ferry in advance? If yes, how do I do that?
- Do I need to buy a separate sim card when I land in Faroe? Or International roaming activated on my India number for Denmark will do?
- Did you apply for an IDP (International Driving Permit) to rent your car? or a normal Indian driving license would work?
- Any other Dos and Don'ts from your experience?

Day #IslandActivity
Day 1Sorvagur + StreymoyMullafossur Falls + Torshavn City Center
Day 2SorvagurSørvágsvatn Hike
Day 3StreymoySaksun + Tjørnuvík + Fossa
Day 4MykinesHiking + Birdwatching
Day 5StreymoyVestmanna (Boat Tour)
Day 6EsturoyGjogv + Funningur Hike + Elduvik
Day 7Bordoy + VidoyKlaksvik and Vidareidi
Day 8Sandoy or SudoroySkarvanes or Famjin (Either one via ferry)
Day 9KalsoyMikladalur + Kallur Light House
Day 10Flight back in afternoon

Happy to hear from you!

Thanks
Rajat

Ankur dhanda

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hi Ankur,

Writing to you after going through many itineraries (including yours) and I have narrowed it down to the below for 10 Days & 9 nights in the Faroe Islands. Have a few follow-up questions as well for the itinerary.
I am going in the first week of July and hence will have more daylight available to cover everything.
Planning to pick up the car directly from the airport, and choose my accommodation in Torshavn for all 10 days approximately 3 kms. from the city center.
Also agree with your earlier suggestion of not booking the car through miles, it just isn't giving me the optimal ROI on reward points.

QUESTIONS -
- Do you think the plan is too cramped? Do I need to de-cram it?
- Since I am traveling every day to & fro from Torshavn to the respective islands, you recommended I get a tunnel pass - where can I get this from? In my opinion, since I am 2 days on the Streymoy only, and the tunnel pass anyway doesn't cover the Esturoy tunnel, it won't make sense. Let me know what your POV is.
- For Mykines & Sandoy/Sudoroy - while I have planned it on Day 4 and 8 respectively, do you recommend booking the ferry in advance? If yes, how do I do that?
- Do I need to buy a separate sim card when I land in Faroe? Or International roaming activated on my India number for Denmark will do?
- Did you apply for an IDP (International Driving Permit) to rent your car? or a normal Indian driving license would work?
- Any other Dos and Don'ts from your experience?

Day #IslandActivity
Day 1Sorvagur + StreymoyMullafossur Falls + Torshavn City Center
Day 2SorvagurSørvágsvatn Hike
Day 3StreymoySaksun + Tjørnuvík + Fossa
Day 4MykinesHiking + Birdwatching
Day 5StreymoyVestmanna (Boat Tour)
Day 6EsturoyGjogv + Funningur Hike + Elduvik
Day 7Bordoy + VidoyKlaksvik and Vidareidi
Day 8Sandoy or SudoroySkarvanes or Famjin (Either one via ferry)
Day 9KalsoyMikladalur + Kallur Light House
Day 10Flight back in afternoon

Happy to hear from you!

Thanks
Rajat
Hi Rajat

Sorry for late revert.

I was out on a trip just came back.

You can do more things on some particular days and keep one two extra free to re schedule mykines etc if needed as it’s weather dependent. Tunnel pass the car rental agency will only give you at pick up. I would say just take the tunnel pass, as itinerary would still change based on weather when you’re there.

Few sites for booking. https://www.puffin.fo/en?mes=3#calendartable

https://www.mykines.fo/#/home

Mykines do book online before and you have to pay fee as well for hike there in advance which they’ll check when you will start hike.

Online only these 2 routes can be done online.

36 Sørvágur - Mykines

56 Klaksvík - Kalsoy

Check out whether the tunnel connecting sandoy has opened or not.

I didn’t cover both these Sandoy/suderoy islands so don’t know in details about connection there.

I did have roaming activated on my phone, but took another local sim from the airport for my wife’s phone. Connectivity maybe be poor in some areas.

I had applied for IDP but they didn’t ask, my regular Indian driving licence worked.

On your way to Mullafossur, check out Nix.

With Sørvágsvatn add something for the day, like Norðadalsskar viewpoint drive through.

With Vestmanna, add something more . Check helicopter ride on Atlantic airlines site. It’s expensive but worth it for the view from above .

I would say keep atleast one day free, 8 or 9 free, either of them as a backup day for Mykines. And skip sandoy/Sudoroy. Or maybe just Rather take the helicopter ride.

Rest just keep all weather clothes and gear, m sure you would be .