• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Electric scooter/bike

ccdc

TF Ace
Hello,

i'm in the market for an electric scooter/bike. But i dont know what to expect in terms of maitaining it (maintainence costs, how difficult is to maintain it etc.), real life pros and cons of owning one.....and which one to buy...there are a ton of companies who sell electric 2 wheelers....budget is less than 80k on road.

pothi

TF Ace
RML Group
For less than 80k, please wait for a few years. The EV market is yet to mature. Only after that, the price will start to come down. For now, anything less than 100k isn't recommended.

ccdc

TF Ace
i can see quite a few electric scooters under 80k...but they're not from well known companies like ather/ola/hero.....

pothi

TF Ace
RML Group
That's why they aren't recommended at this point. Most of them import from China at cheap prices and sell it at less than 100k. They rarely do quality control. We will have zero support in case of any issues with such EV vehicles. Even I wouldn't go with Ola, even if they give it for free. Please stick with experienced players and Ather.

If you choose anything else, you'd be content with what you get as long as there is no issue. Once an issue comes up, that's the beginning of sleepless nights.

COSMOCRAT

TF Premier
i can see quite a few electric scooters under 80k...but they're not from well known companies like ather/ola/hero.....
Those are rebranded Chinese imports for quick cash grab. They disappear after a few months and come back with different names.

NAB

TF Premier
What is going to be your daily run? If that's anything below 35-40Kms/day then go for the Petrol scooter and skip the electric one.

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hijacking this thread to ask a related question.

@Pothi @NAB @Catalyst I've decided to buy ICE instead of EV for the following reasons, please change my mind if I'm wrong.
  1. 5-7 km/day. We can use the car for longer trips.
  2. For my dad. Not tech savvy.
  3. Tier 3 town, no EV service center in 100 km range.
--
Finally, within ICE, which one to buy? Comfort, mileage, durability/resale value and availability of parts are some considerations.

Edit: I'm considering Jupiter, Access and Activa - all 125cc disc brakes.

Last edited:

NAB

TF Premier
Hijacking this thread to ask a related question.

@Pothi @NAB @Catalyst I've decided to buy ICE instead of EV for the following reasons, please change my mind if I'm wrong.
  1. 5-7 km/day. We can use the car for longer trips.
  2. For my dad. Not tech savvy.
  3. Tier 3 town, no EV service center in 100 km range.
--
Finally, within ICE, which one to buy? Comfort, mileage, durability/resale value and availability of parts are some considerations.
Perfect decision,

I will suggest Honda Activa.

It will fulfill all your requirements. Easy to resell, maintenance, durability, use by elderly.

pothi

TF Ace
RML Group
Perfect decision,

I will suggest Honda Activa.

It will fulfill all your requirements. Easy to resell, maintenance, durability, use by elderly.

+1 for Honda (Activa). Highly recommended. Other options are TVS and Hero.

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Thank you folks. Now the question of how to get a good price?

1. Is there a way to pay by CC without MDR? Such as booking online?
  2. Insurance - buy it from service centre or can I do it on my own? O hear digit has a decent priced insurance.
  3. Accessories - original or 3rd party? Which ones are required?
I understand these may be questions you have not encountered, please help wherever you can.

NAB

TF Premier
Thank you folks. Now the question of how to get a good price?

1. Is there a way to pay by CC without MDR? Such as booking online?
  2. Insurance - buy it from service centre or can I do it on my own? O hear digit has a decent priced insurance.
  3. Accessories - original or 3rd party? Which ones are required?
I understand these may be questions you have not encountered, please help wherever you can.
If you are in non-municipal area, then you can save that part. Municipality Tax. It's around Rs. 2000 for Activa in my city.

1. You need to pay at the dealership only. For Honda you will not find much price difference between the dealerships.

Still, check with all in your area. Ask them that you want to pay with CC. Don't ask for the MDR upfront.
If they tell you that they will charge it extra, then try to negotiate.

2. Here, I will suggest you to go with the dealership provided insurance only. Because that's the place where you are going for the initial services and accident cases.

If you purchase it with their partnership, then you will get better service and the peace of mind.

3. Original accessories only. 3rd party comes with the low quality and not durable. Unless you have expertise finding the good one.

Again, if there is a huge price difference between some dealership then note that they do this accessories trick only.

Check the ready to deliver scooter with fitted accessories for the genuiness.

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
If you are in non-municipal area, then you can save that part. Municipality Tax. It's around Rs. 2000 for Activa in my city.

1. You need to pay at the dealership only. For Honda you will not find much price difference between the dealerships.

Still, check with all in your area. Ask them that you want to pay with CC. Don't ask for the MDR upfront.
If they tell you that they will charge it extra, then try to negotiate.

2. Here, I will suggest you to go with the dealership provided insurance only. Because that's the place where you are going for the initial services and accident cases.

If you purchase it with their partnership, then you will get better service and the peace of mind.

3. Original accessories only. 3rd party comes with the low quality and not durable. Unless you have expertise finding the good one.

Again, if there is a huge price difference between some dealership then note that they do this accessories trick only.

Check the ready to deliver scooter with fitted accessories for the genuiness.
Thank you so much 🙏, and to Catalyst and Pothi as well for validation. I'll start visiting dealership in Jan, will post updates if I have questions.

iAmPm

TF Premier
I would suggest Jupiter Base model as you don't need tech-savvy. It will have better mileage and comfort of ride.
If you are considering resell value then it will be less than Activa. As activa offers the highest value in the resell market.

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I would suggest Jupiter Base model as you don't need tech-savvy. It will have better mileage and comfort of ride.
If you are considering resell value then it will be less than Activa. As activa offers the highest value in the resell market.
Understood. If I had to choose between comfort and resale value, I'd choose comfort. Jupiter base model sounds good.

In case you know - what do the premium models of Jupiter have to offer? I have read about the tech/mobile integration, but I have no interest in that.

COSMOCRAT

TF Premier
Understood. If I had to choose between comfort and resale value, I'd choose comfort. Jupiter base model sounds good.

In case you know - what do the premium models of Jupiter have to offer? I have read about the tech/mobile integration, but I have no interest in that.
Look for disk brakes model over drum for better control and safety. And Jupiter 125 is newer series than just Jupiter.

NAB

TF Premier
Thanks. Yes, disc and 125cc is the option I'll go for.
Before going for Jupiter, check the reviews and parts availability/reliability of your local service station/dealer.

I had a very bad experience. So not recommended. They mostly do not keep the parts in stock and takes weeks to get everything done.
Otherwise no issues.

Also, 125cc is only required for the mountains and long drives. So avoid that extra powerful engine if not required. 110cc is enough for the city limits and 40-60 speed range. (Extra Power/Pickup sometimes creates issues for the elderly/ladies. They easily lose control. Especially during the monsoon.)

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Before going for Jupiter, check the reviews and parts availability/reliability of your local service station/dealer.

I had a very bad experience. So not recommended. They mostly do not keep the parts in stock and takes weeks to get everything done.
Otherwise no issues.

Also, 125cc is only required for the mountains and long drives. So avoid that extra powerful engine if not required. 110cc is enough for the city limits and 40-60 speed range. (Extra Power/Pickup sometimes creates issues for the elderly/ladies. They easily lose control. Especially during the monsoon.)
Thank you. I do live in a hilly terrain, but I think 110cc can also do the job well. Skid during rains is definitely a risk.

I will check and verify service and parts availability in my local TVS service center.

Thanks, this has become a valuable thread for 2 wheeler purchase.

Reactions: NAB

iAmPm

TF Premier

Otherwise no issues.

I agree with you. I wanted to suggest 110CC but I thought OP needed 125 and hence did not bother.

• Love
Reactions: NAB

iAmPm

TF Premier

Thats why suggesting base model of 125. It will not have tech features and cheaper.
if going with 110CC then only top model having disc. But in my opinion, you don't need disc with 110cc. especially if its driven by parent then surely no need.
Additionally, I also recommend taking a review of the service center. TVS service centers are meehh in general.