• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Do UPI Apps work outside India?

I will be in Europe for a few months.
I just wanted to know - will UPI work outside India? - not for external payment to vendors - just for paying bills, recharges, money transfers - to Indian vendors and Indian recipients from my Indian bank account.

NOOBY

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I think it also depends of your SIM has active international pack or not...

As, many UPI apps check SIM info periodically... so they may stop working in between if they are not able to authenticate the SIM in your phone (I am not sure though)

Atleast for me, it happened in India where, as soon as my SIM stopped working (out of range for 3 days... *bsnl), UPI stopped working too (but it was I think 8-9 month back)

SiddharthR

TF Ace
Yes its periodic. Mostly happens with Amazon UPI & Gpay. So active sim card should be there as well.
I think it also depends of your SIM has active international pack or not...

As, many UPI apps check SIM info periodically... so they may stop working in between if they are not able to authenticate the SIM in your phone (I am not sure though)

Atleast for me, it happened in India where, as soon as my SIM stopped working (out of range for 3 days... *bsnl), UPI stopped working too (but it was I think 8-9 month back)

APay UPI (Both wallet & bank) was working even if I remove the sim (for few days) & again insert it, but it wasn't the case for any other UPI apps, others were asking to verify again via SMS. Why is it so?

So, as long as our SIM is working UPI will also work.
That is great. I always thought that I once you are no longer geographically in India, UPI won't work,, I would have to use VPN or something.
But this makes things very simple.
On a related note - do e-wallets work outside India?

Digvijay

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I will be in Europe for a few months.
I just wanted to know - will UPI work outside India? - not for external payment to vendors - just for paying bills, recharges, money transfers - to Indian vendors and Indian recipients from my Indian bank account.
Absolutely! Been using BHIM, Paytm, Mobiqwik, and RuPay credit cards with UPI in Switzeland for the last month. No issues at all with any payment.