• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Credit Report Locking System | Unauthorised Credit Report Access

Currently, consumers do not have the ability to lock their credit reports to prevent unauthorised access. Banks and NBFCs not only periodically check our credit reports but also make hard inquiries without our explicit consent, resulting in unwanted entries on our credit reports.

Have you ever applied for a credit card through an SBI Card agent at locations like shopping malls or railway stations? These agents often save your details and contact you later to process credit card applications. Unfortunately, even if you decline to apply for a new credit card, they sometimes submit random applications using your old information, leading to unwanted hard inquiries and fulfilling their lead generation targets.

When applying for a credit product from a bank, they should only check your credit once. However, multiple hard inquiries for a single credit product application are prevalent. Banks even conduct hard pulls on consumer credit data without any new applications.
Such practises are increasingly common nowadays.

We urgently need a robust system to protect consumers from fraudulent hard inquiries. Just like the Aadhaar biometric lock, we should be able to lock our credit reports as well. It is essential for the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to address this issue and establish comprehensive guidelines for all banks and NBFCs.

We hope the RBI will take the necessary steps to safeguard consumers' credit information and prevent unauthorised hard inquiries in the future.

romilq

TF Ace
I
In case you don't know that I do work in Bank. Due to hectic work culture I could not able to share my story but soon I'll do. There is no need of OTP to do hard inquiries. L&T Financial Services, IIFL Loan, IDFC Bank LTD and some other institutions directly process loans and conduct inquiries. Case registered against L&T Financial Services too.
In case you don't know that I do work in Bank. Due to hectic work culture I could not able to share my story but soon I'll do. There is no need of OTP to do hard inquiries. L&T Financial Services, IIFL Loan, IDFC Bank LTD and some other institutions directly process loans and conduct inquiries. Case registered against L&T Financial Services too.
In case you don’t know I was just talking about SBI Cards not any other lender you listed. In SBI Cards no hard inquiry is possible if you don’t share OTP. Sometimes they may do double inquiries for a single application which you can mail to get removed. Read my comment again. I was talking about SBI Cards. The agent did a second application with old details he had of me, but I didn’t get any hard inquiry because I did not share OTP. I just got rejection mail after a month. I have clearly said this is about SBI Cards. They will specifically ask for OTP for bureau access and it will be mentioned in the OTP message itself. If you don’t share OTP then no hard inquiry.

Tejo

TF Legend
Totally false. One OTP is linked to one application only. And you will need to give another OTP for second application. And SBI Card did two inquiries for my single application too. That is how they work sometimes.

Actually without otps too banks can hard enquiries unless you won't give pan number

I think only in our India otp dependency is more.

Now a days, third party firms are being offered so RBI guided otp necessary.

Any bank can do hard enquiries.

For example I have kotak ac. I applied for cc from netbanking where I no need to filling 80% details and no otps.

Even you have officially filled the application with signature and submitted they can do.

romilq

TF Ace
R
Actually without otps too banks can hard enquiries unless you won't give pan number

I think only in our India otp dependency is more.

Now a days, third party firms are being offered so RBI guided otp necessary.

Any bank can do hard enquiries.

For example I have kotak ac. I applied for cc from netbanking where I no need to filling 80% details and no otps.

Even you have officially filled the application with signature and submitted they can do.
Read the original chain of comments again. I was talking about SBI Card only. Of course most institutions just need PAN number for hard inquiry.

Fintellect

TF Buzz
I

In case you don’t know I was just talking about SBI Cards not any other lender you listed. In SBI Cards no hard inquiry is possible if you don’t share OTP. Sometimes they may do double inquiries for a single application which you can mail to get removed. Read my comment again. I was talking about SBI Cards. The agent did a second application with old details he had of me, but I didn’t get any hard inquiry because I did not share OTP. I just got rejection mail after a month. I have clearly said this is about SBI Cards. They will specifically ask for OTP for bureau access and it will be mentioned in the OTP message itself. If you don’t share OTP then no hard inquiry.
I'll share my SBI Card whole story soon.
Off topic...
Bank of Baroda too not less than a scammer. At-least HDFC accepted the mistake and removed the hard enquiries.
Actually what I learn is RBI is the main culprit, who close the complaint without reading it.

Abhishek20

TF Premier
What happens if there are too many hard inquiries? I once had 8 inquiries done (4 of them by HDFC 🤦‍♂️ for single application) but I am not sure it changed anything. My score has remained unaffected from this and even if someone's score does dip, it would probably just be a temporary one and eventually recover soon enough.

Is this understanding incorrect? Is there something inherently bad with having "too many inquiries" in your cibil report?