• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Correct time for Miles Conversion before devaluation - Axis Magnus

Shashank2210

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Vistara has terrible availability and very few routes to Europe and all mostly from Delhi, you'll be charged the leg from wherever in India to Delhi. Also you'll restrict yourself to the very few flights they have weekly and you might not be able to get your whole family in the same plane.

Just for quick comparison

BLR-FRA Economy One Way - Early December

United 36k + 3200 INR (would cost the same miles from Delhi than a lot of T2 cities in India, for example I could fly from Pune or Goa and it would cost the same)
Vistara 37.5k + 3500 INR (or 30k if depart directly from Delhi + 1500 INR)
Turkish 30k + 10000 INR (not available from BLR so I replaced with Delhi not sure if they charge more miles in case of additional leg on itinerary also surcharge definitely higher, if partner airline expect over 15000 INR in surcharges)
Qatar 32.5k + 1600 INR
Singapore 30.5k + 1500 INR

So you'll need to do your research in each case and your specific route you want. Vistara doesn't fly to most of Europe and flying regionally in another airline with a family might rack up lots of charges in baggage fees very very fast.

By right both Turkish, Singapore and United will let you book on Vistara, Air India, LOT, scandinavian, eurowings, cityjet, air lingus, Lufthansa and a lot more. But another thing is in real life, try booking Vistara flights via Turkish Airlines. Routing restrictions are an issue and so are surcharges in Turkish but the required miles are less (so in the example above paying 6k miles less is worth paying 7k INR more in fees and having a stop in IST?).
Also awards on partner airlines will most likely require you to call Turkish Airlines and not sure if they charge an additional fee for that.
Be mindful as well you can't book tickets for others unless you fly first with them (Turkish) as per another member here in the forum, with other airlines I can book tickets for anyone even if I have never flown with them. This doesn't apply if you're traveling also in the same booking.

The surcharges tend to be pretty high in Turkish specially in partner airlines, in business class they seem to round 350-700USD one way. United is 20-150USD and usually in the lower end for the same redemption.

For the routes (DEL-FRA) in business class:
United for 2k INR fees + 63k miles
Turkish 39k INR fees + 60k miles
Singapore Airlines 1.5k INR fees + 62k miles

I surely wouldn't book Turkish for the above redemption.

You'll have to evaluate what is best for your case in terms of value (miles required, fees to be paid), routing and scheduling, availability of award seats and baggage allowances which might make a dent on your pocket too.

My pick on best always depends on the destinations you're interested in.

For me United it's the best: easy to book, plenty of availability, I'm based in T2 city so awards won't cost more, allows me to fly Air India and Vistara so more routes and flights available domestically but slightly more points required, lower fees than most airlines, etc.

Vistara also has very good value in certain routes. PNQ-SIN is 16500 one way which beats SQ in terms of value and routing for me in this specific case. For flying domestically they do the trick most of the time but I still hate having layovers when there's nonstop Air India flights. Another nuisance, is that they have fixed pricing upgrades. For example recently DEL-IXL from economy they asked for 10k per pax for the upgrade, the plane took off with half the business class empty. In Air India I bid 3k per pax and got me and my companion upgraded to business class. Also some empty seats but at least they weren't asking for such a poor value offer to upgrade to business (they were asking basically for the fare difference as an "offer" to upgrade).

SQ is probably ahead of Qatar just because of Star Alliance partners in India (Vistara and Air India) and possibly in the region, OneWorld has no partners in India. Even so United seems to have way better availability online for flights within India and also originating here. Turkish and Singapore should be able to but online award booking shows very limited availability compared to United.

I would avoid any airline outside Star Alliance if you have travels within India or the region unless you have an specific redemption in mind.
Such a detailed explanation given for the usage of airmiles and comparison of airlines. Thanks for this mate.
How did you acquired those information? How can I get the same?

Avijeet

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Vistara has terrible availability and very few routes to Europe and all mostly from Delhi, you'll be charged the leg from wherever in India to Delhi. Also you'll restrict yourself to the very few flights they have weekly and you might not be able to get your whole family in the same plane.

United 36k + 3200 INR (would cost the same miles from Delhi than a lot of T2 cities in India, for example I could fly from Pune or Goa and it would cost the same)
Turkish 30k + 10000 INR (not available from BLR so I replaced with Delhi not sure if they charge more miles in case of additional leg on itinerary also surcharge definitely higher, if partner airline expect over 15000 INR in surcharges)
Qatar 32.5k + 1600 INR

So you'll need to do your research in each case and your specific route you want. Vistara doesn't fly to most of Europe and flying regionally in another airline with a family might rack up lots of charges in baggage fees very very fast.

By right both Turkish, Singapore and United will let you book on Vistara, Air India, LOT, scandinavian, eurowings, cityjet, air lingus, Lufthansa and a lot more. But another thing is in real life, try booking Vistara flights via Turkish Airlines. Routing restrictions are an issue and so are surcharges in Turkish but the required miles are less (so in the example above paying 6k miles less is worth paying 7k INR more in fees and having a stop in IST?).
Also awards on partner airlines will most likely require you to call Turkish Airlines and not sure if they charge an additional fee for that.
Be mindful as well you can't book tickets for others unless you fly first with them (Turkish) as per another member here in the forum, with other airlines I can book tickets for anyone even if I have never flown with them. This doesn't apply if you're traveling also in the same booking.

The surcharges tend to be pretty high in Turkish specially in partner airlines, in business class they seem to round 350-700USD one way. United is 20-150USD and usually in the lower end for the same redemption.

You'll have to evaluate what is best for your case in terms of value (miles required, fees to be paid), routing and scheduling, availability of award seats and baggage allowances which might make a dent on your pocket too.

For me United it's the best: easy to book, plenty of availability, I'm based in T2 city so awards won't cost more, allows me to fly Air India and Vistara so more routes and flights available domestically but slightly more points required, lower fees than most airlines, etc.

Vistara also has very good value in certain routes. PNQ-SIN is 16500 one way which beats SQ in terms of value and routing for me in this specific case. For flying domestically they do the trick most of the time but I still hate having layovers when there's nonstop Air India flights. Another nuisance, is that they have fixed pricing upgrades. For example recently DEL-IXL from economy they asked for 10k per pax for the upgrade, the plane took off with half the business class empty. In Air India I bid 3k per pax and got me and my companion upgraded to business class. Also some empty seats but at least they weren't asking for such a poor value offer to upgrade to business (they were asking basically for the fare difference as an "offer" to upgrade).

SQ is probably ahead of Qatar just because of Star Alliance partners in India (Vistara and Air India) and possibly in the region, OneWorld has no partners in India. Even so United seems to have way better availability online for flights within India and also originating here. Turkish and Singapore should be able to but online award booking shows very limited availability compared to United.

I would avoid any airline outside Star Alliance if you have travels within India or the region unless you have an specific redemption in mind.
BOOKMARKED for future reference ..
Thanks a ton for your input.

Avijeet

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Anyone wanting to learn anything about flying commercially, loyalty programs, redemptions, earning miles/promotions, etc should refer to the flyertalk forum. Similar to TF.
wow just re-discovered that i last logged in to that forum way back in 2012 o_O

You last visited: Oct 29, 12 at 2:40 pm

1669230061686.png

Amit Dhatrak

TF Buzz
Agreed mate!
Yes! Turkish has a bad award availability and redemption website + high taxes & surcharge.
Star alliance on United is a much better option.
Sorry I’m new to FF programs

“star Alliance on United is a much better option”
Does this mean booking flights through UnitedMileageplus program for United flights or separate star alliance portal (if any)?

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Sorry I’m new to FF programs

“star Alliance on United is a much better option”
Does this mean booking flights through UnitedMileageplus program for United flights or separate star alliance portal (if any)?
Through United MileagePlus on StarAlliance and other partners.

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Got it
Can you confirm if I redeem the complimentary vistara economy tickets, can I use them to book flights even after 3 months from the redemption date?

If I redeem today and book flight today itself but for a date later than 3 months. Is it possible?
I don't see such restriction. You can always call the Club Vistara Customer Service and book it through them at no additional charge, it's a lot easier and they'll be able to confirm.
But from the TnC there's no such restriction. 6 months validity to issue it and then 3+3 months (you can pay for another 3 months extension, not aware of the cost) to redeem it but does not mention you have to fly within that period (nor it would make sense).

Amit Dhatrak

TF Buzz

Qatar 32.5k + 1600 INR

I would avoid any airline outside Star Alliance if you have travels within India or the region unless you have a specific redemption in mind.
Hi Gurbina,
Thankyou so much for such a comprehensive guide and quick answers on this post

Would request/like if you can put a separate dedicated post for frequent flier programs and flights for Indian audiences as there is very few Indian FFP specific info available.

Wealth is my birth right!

TF Prestige
VIP Lounge
Hi Gurbina,
Thankyou so much for such a comprehensive guide and quick answers on this post

Would request/like if you can put a separate dedicated post for frequent flier programs and flights for Indian audiences as there is very few Indian FFP specific info available.
I trust flyertalk forum will help u
It’s like technofino but have global voices

TheMentalist

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Got it
Can you confirm if I redeem the complimentary vistara economy tickets, can I use them to book flights even after 3 months from the redemption date?

If I redeem today and book flight today itself but for a date later than 3 months. Is it possible?
I don't see such restriction. You can always call the Club Vistara Customer Service and book it through them at no additional charge, it's a lot easier and they'll be able to confirm.
But from the TnC there's no such restriction. 6 months validity to issue it and then 3+3 months (you can pay for another 3 months extension, not aware of the cost) to redeem it but does not mention you have to fly within that period (nor it would make sense).
Unfortunately, the flight dates are infact limited to the voucher validity date (checked it when redeeming the complimentary voucher on their site)

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Why Vistara? Because it’s non-stop?

No. Don’t keep converting unless you know which airline you would travel or wait for any bonus just like QATAR & SQ came!

if you are okay with one-stop:
1) Qatar airways have better options and product!
55k Avios for round trip in Economy per person
110k Avios for round trip in Business class per person
If not Qatar can use it with British airways as well!

2) Turkish airlines have decent product and award ticket is at:
30K Turkish milesfor Economy Round trip per person
60k Turkish miles for Business round trip per person.
P.S: Turkish website is a mess to book award tickets!
30K Turkish Miles is for economy one way to/from london

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Unfortunately, the flight dates are infact limited to the voucher validity date (checked it when redeeming the complimentary voucher on their site)
I want to book a ticket for June, so I should not get the voucher issued before April, right?

And just 3 months seem risky, as award flight itself may not be available by then😅.

TheMentalist

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Any idea if same limitation apply to cv points also? Suppose cv points are set to expire next month, so can I book a flight for March now?
I don't think such a limitation can apply to CV points, although getting refund for flights booked with expired points can be an issue
Suppose just 500 CV points are going to expire next month, then it would mean that you'd have to wait a month till those points expire, to book any later flights, which would be totally ridiculous

insight

TF Ace

Qatar 32.5k + 1600 INR

Does this still hold true?

What would currently be the best SA carrier program to bank miles for status and so on? (not asking about redemption).

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Has anyone tested exactly how 3 months is calculated?

Say if I issue it today (10th March), it will be valid for travel till 8th June (90 days), 10th June (3 months plus 1 day) or 9th June (3 calander months including first and last day)?

Edit: Tried myself and here is my experience.

Issued on 12th March around 11AM and Voucher is valid for Travel till 12th June. In fact, Email says time of 11AM as well for 12th June. So, it is 3 full calender months, not just 90 days.

But when you try booking with 12th June as date, it allows to select any flight on that day. In fact, it also allows to select any flight within +/-3 days i e. 9th to 15th June subject to award availability. I was able to reach till OTP page. So, this should work.

Like normal CV points booking, u need to pay 500-1000 taxes and 300 convinience fee extra.

P.S. For every search, the voucher gets blocked for 20 mins. So don't panic. Better way is to first find award availability using cv points method or other airlines site like singapore airlines or Japan airlines and then directly book here. I assume award quota is same for all of these.

Last edited: