• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Cheque Fraud: Rs 180 -> Rs 75,000 cashed out. Original text was overwritten. Please read the details and help.

Sahilhenzy

TF Ace
There is a pen called Pilot Frixion it's ink is unique because it can be erasable due to heat sensitive. Pen has a tip on the top you have to rubb litte and ink will be removed so that's why signature was still there because he might have not removed signature. Company have mentioned strictly not to sign any cheques through this pen because it can be erased.

R!TTER

TF Buzz
One way to avoid such things is take a photo of cheque & ideally the person holding the cheque in the same frame. Timestamp is saved on photos and if you have geolocation or tagging enabled it's even more proof for any such issues in the future. I usually take a screenshot or photo of any high value transaction, online or otherwise, these days. You don't know when it can come in handy.

dealminer

TF Premier
There is a pen called Pilot Frixion it's ink is unique because it can be erasable due to heat sensitive. Pen has a tip on the top you have to rubb litte and ink will be removed so that's why signature was still there because he might have not removed signature. Company have mentioned strictly not to sign any cheques through this pen because it can be erased.
Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

shivamk

TF Ace
What I fear is that my neighbor will not proceed if there is a lot of hassle. He has a sick family member that needs full time care.

That is another reason I am taking onus upon myself to help him (as much as I can).
I am willing to do anything that can be done online. Offline and in person meetups (police, courts) is time consuming for me. I can still push the neighbor if there's high chances of success.
Ohh, I really respect how you are supporting them during this tough time.

I personally feel that since it's a case of forgery, a good local lawyer can help you the best in this situation. Moreover police won't do anything other than filing an FIR until the court asks them to do so

Unknowingly some members are suggesting that writing to PNO will solve it. NO. It will not.

This is a branch trxn. Branch Controller (Regional/Zonal/Area Managers n Circle Heads) are the ones who will do the needed job. Of taking all related decisipns. Pulling up the erred official/staff to giving compensation n dealing with the police.

Writing to PNO is meaningless here. DO NOT GET CARRIED AWAY BY THE HABIT OF WRITING EVERYTHING TO P.N.O.

sahilgulati5

TF Premier
Any CCTV proof showing the Insurance person came to home to collect the cheque on 10th April would be enough to win the case easily.

#aniket

TF Ace
Any CCTV proof showing the Insurance person came to home to collect the cheque on 10th April would be enough to win the case easily.
I thought for the same earlier when I had suggested for CCTV footage from the bank. I think, since OP hasn't mentioned the same and it's common sense to take into consideration, there's no CCTV camera installed in OP's neighbour house.

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I thought for the same earlier when I had suggested for CCTV footage from the bank. I think, since OP hasn't mentioned the same and it's common sense to take into consideration, there's no CCTV camera installed in OP's neighbour house.
+ @sahilgulati5 What would be the intended purpose of this CCTV footage? I'm having difficulty to understand how we can use it to strengthen our case. Please elaborate a little.

sidp

TF Ace
+ @sahilgulati5 What would be the intended purpose of this CCTV footage? I'm having difficulty to understand how we can use it to strengthen our case. Please elaborate a little.
It seems like an internal job. So branch people could have sent an 3rd party agent ( there are many 3rd party agents working for bank in sales, data collection,document handling, loan, dsa etc). These people details are stored at branch.
If it is the case, it can be proved that bm is directly involved.

#aniket

TF Ace
@Batman Firstly you need to check this:

Screenshot_20240520-141731.jpg
Secondly, if there's availability of CCTV footage from the house itself where cheque was filled or handovered, then may be it can be found that drawer
had filled totally different details which doesn't match with truncated cheque. So, bearer or /& employee; who honoured such cheque can be found guilty and hence punished severely for doing fraud and ignoring tempered/ overwritten cheque.

Last edited:

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Approach a reputed advocate n send a Lawyer's Notice to the branch/their controllers - Regional Manager, Area Manager - specifically asking for outside verification thru handwriting experts.

This step will force the branch/ RegionalManager/ AreaManager/ ZonalManager to lodge police complaint from the Bank's side - which will have a higher weightage n help the account holder get his money back.

He can also approach local consumer court - their efficacy depends on town-to-town n is not uniform. But, such consumer courts can force the bank/police to act relatively fast.

Sir, I had a call with a local lawyer friend. He says court complaint can be filed only after 156 days since the incident has passed. At this moment, complaint can be filed only at Police station level and further at SP level.

Lawyer friend suggested visiting the SP office, and getting the confirmation of filing complaint to SP. Then SP office will send orders to local police station, post which an FIR can be registered.

I do not understand why there's such a long delay. Is there a way I can escalate and file an e-FIR online with our documented proof?

#aniket

TF Ace
Firstly you need to check this:

Screenshot_20240520-141731.jpg
Secondly, if there's availability of CCTV footage from the house itself where cheque was filled or handovered, then may be it can be found that drawer
had filled totally different details which doesn't match with truncated cheque. So, bearer or /& employee; who honoured such cheque can be found guilty and hence punished severely for doing fraud and ignoring tempered/ overwritten cheque.
@Batman If that guy who came to collect cheque is by any chance has connection or is agent of that branch or bank, there will be strong suspicion about the forgery made with the connivance with the branch from the party who will take compliant.

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
@Batman I would suggest ki offical complaint daal dijye bank mein, police mein wagerah wagera...jo fraud huwa hai, disclose every lil information

Firh investigation hoga, CCTV photage toh hoga hi bank ke pass jab encash karne aaya hoga banda, also UV light mein check karega truncated cheque ko ya baaki koi methods toh purna rup se pata chal hi jayega over writing/tampered and forged kiya gaya hai...tab baaki ke actions concerned parties apne aap hi lega jo jo involved tha ye fraud mein...
  1. Bank complaint done. Bank absolved itself from all the blame. I've attached their reply.
  2. Police complaint also done. FIR was not registered by the Police, they said it is a longer procedure. I'm open to suggestions on doing FIR quickly.
I am considering your points on internal fraud. But my question remains - how do I enforce a higher level enquiry within the bank?

I must add that I am following Ramesh Sir's advice and will write a complaint to Circle head, as well as RBI.

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-20 142423.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-20 142423.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2024-05-20 184223.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-20 184223.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2024-05-20 184237.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-20 184237.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 12

doraemon

TF Legend
That's why one should not use someone's pen while writting Cheque
Use your own pen

And this is hell scary
I hope aunty get her money back

It's deficiency of service on part of pnb to not to inform the customer about the cheque
I recently gave a cheque of ₹51000 to my dad
Cheque was of HDFC
And I am blessed that manger personally called me to confirm that

That's the main reason I prefer cash than these cheques

doraemon

TF Legend
I feel blessed to be a member of this beautiful community
I got much much information and knowledge about banking

Regarding op case

Seee above 50k there are certain measures that bank has to follow like confirmation from customer
And also the person to whom cheque is drawn
Entry would be made in register of bank

Op should engage with manger directly and then escalate

I saw the photo of cheque
It's overwritten definitely
How can a bank be so dumb while clearing such a cheque

I think recently @Vasuki aslo shared a incident related to pnb

Even in my pnb branch employees are forging the signature of customer for renewing the fds and opening some insurance in customers account

#aniket

TF Ace
I recently gave a cheque of ₹51000 to my dad
Cheque was of HDFC
And I am blessed that manger personally called me to confirm that
Because HDFC suggest to use PPS in case when the amount is 50k or above. I believe, because of lack of PPS, they called to confirm to clear the cheque.

It is common.

RBI has suggested to do so, especially in case of suspicious or large values cheque.