• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Best Award Flight option for Mumbai - Turkey

Amit Dhatrak

TF Buzz
Hi TF Community,

I wish to travel to Turkey from 25th March'23 - 9th April'23 (flexible dates) and was searching award flights. However, I am new to FFP world and since, there are many tricks here like booking partner flights through one FFP or transfering miles b/w FFPs and so on, would request your help on knowing the best award flight option for this travel.

Below are the options available on FFPs available through Axis Magnus (as per my research) - Searched for Mumbai-Istanbul

1. Flying Blue
One way flight on Air France Portal - 37500 miles + 60 $
One way flight on KLM Portal = 43500 miles + 55 $

2. Etihad Guest

One way flight = 22891 miles + 162 $

3. United MileagePlus

One way flight = 30000 miles + 34 $

4. Qatar Airways (Privilege Club)

One way flight through QA/BA = 40250 miles + (not able to load dollars page)
One way flight through partners = Error "Acitivity not allowed"

5. Turkish Airlines (Miles&Smiles)
One way flight = 20000 + 174 $
This is the sweetest deal as the flight here is non-stop (only non-stop from the given options) except for the very high taxes part
However, it is mentioned on the website that Classic Plus members can pay taxes through miles too. Need help if there is any easy way to achieve this status

6. Singapore Airlines (KrisFlyer)
Website under maintenance during the time of writing this post

7. Ethiopian Airlines (ShebaMiles)
Not able to view the miles requirement. Some difficulty in understanding the interfance

No flights available from Spice Jet, Air Asia & Vistara. I also checked AAdvantage although it is not a part of Axis Magnus partners

8. AAdvantage (American Airlines)
One way flight = 40,000 miles + 124 $

Requesting help from Airmiles/FFP experts to understand the best deal here or guidance to check for better deals

chasni

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
If I was doing it, I would find the typical price of a ticket for your travel plan and then find the offer with providing best miles to price ratio. After that you can take into account the connectivity and type of airline and flight times and choose the redemption that suits you.

Amit Dhatrak

TF Buzz
If I was doing it, I would find the typical price of a ticket for your travel plan and then find the offer with providing best miles to price ratio. After that you can take into account the connectivity and type of airline and flight times and choose the redemption that suits you.
Hi Chasni,
I have complete flexibility with Airline, flight time etc.
the normal price one way is around 18-20k. I don’t mind spending upto 25k one way.
Can you suggest better mile redemption options here

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
You've done your research quite well.

The preference of airline and your status with these airlines matter. Lots of people in this game are hobbyists so they wanna fly through different airports, airlines, aircraft or try different lounges and hanging around new cities. The experience and service is an important part of their redemption. There's even some hardcore people that pay premium to fly with certain airlines just because their menu and drinks.

Singapore Airlines shows no availability on partner airlines (*G and others) for this route.

United shows a lot of availability with lots of airlines and lots of routing options.

Price difference between Turkish and United is 140USD upfront just in taxes.
But you save 10k miles in Turkish which are valued at around the same price. United miles are valued at 1.2-1.3 cents per mile. So 10k is roughly 120-130USD.
So you could say they're even overall, except that Turkish has nonstop options.

I'm a fan of taking long layovers or even a stopover after and before transatlantic or transpacific flights and taking a few hours or even a couple of days for shopping or just exploring around. Some airlines will let you have a stopover for a nominal fee (miles or cash), some even for free. Usually up to 24 hours is free granted you can find it or book it by calling.

For example maybe you'd like to fly the Etihad A380 and connect in AUH.
Perhaps even take a small tour around, shopping or go racing at Yas Marina Circuit.

At this point is more of preference when it comes between Etihad, United or Turkish (and the partner airlines you'd be flying with).

Personally I always go for United for bookings due to customer service, apps and overall experience. Their systems are light years away from the competition, availability in their own flights and partner airlines has always blown away the competition. Even Singapore Airlines didn't show any availability on partner airlines and staralliance for this specific award, yet they're both part of StarAlliance and can book flights in each others systems. But for Singapore Airlines you'll have to call and pray to get someone who knows how to do it.
They have never let me down, they recovered and paid for delayed luggage, payed hotels and meals in long delays, gotten compensation for a plethora of issues even when flying award redemptions on partner airlines.

Last edited:
How is the routing of the United? Is it via any partner from India ?
Personally, I would take Turkish as they are good and also it is direct one. You will save time in transits and add some more time to your vacation.

Amit Dhatrak

TF Buzz
Jus
You've done your research quite well.

The preference of airline and your status with these airlines matter. Lots of people in this game are hobbyists so they wanna fly through different airports, airlines, aircraft or try different lounges and hanging around new cities. The experience and service is an important part of their redemption. There's even some hardcore people that pay premium to fly with certain airlines just because their menu and drinks.

Singapore Airlines shows no availability on partner airlines (*G and others) for this route.

United shows a lot of availability with lots of airlines and lots of routing options.

Price difference between Turkish and United is 140USD upfront just in taxes.
But you save 10k miles in Turkish which are valued at around the same price. United miles are valued at 1.2-1.3 cents per mile. So 10k is roughly 120-130USD.
So you could say they're even overall, except that Turkish has nonstop options.

I'm a fan of taking long layovers or even a stopover after and before transatlantic or transpacific flights and taking a few hours or even a couple of days for shopping or just exploring around. Some airlines will let you have a stopover for a nominal fee (miles or cash), some even for free. Usually up to 24 hours is free granted you can find it or book it by calling.

For example maybe you'd like to fly the Etihad A380 and connect in AUH.
Perhaps even take a small tour around, shopping or go racing at Yas Marina Circuit.

At this point is more of preference when it comes between Etihad, United or Turkish (and the partner airlines you'd be flying with).

Personally I always go for United for bookings due to customer service, apps and overall experience. Their systems are light years away from the competition, availability in their own flights and partner airlines has always blown away the competition. Even Singapore Airlines didn't show any availability on partner airlines and staralliance for this specific award, yet they're both part of StarAlliance and can book flights in each others systems. But for Singapore Airlines you'll have to call and pray to get someone who knows how to do it.
They have never let me down, they recovered and paid for delayed luggage, payed hotels and meals in long delays, gotten compensation for a plethora of issues even when flying award redemptions on partner airlines
Just the right thing. This seems exciting, getting to travel +1 country.
But doesn’t this require that layover/stopover country’s Visa?

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Jus

Just the right thing. This seems exciting, getting to travel +1 country.
But doesn’t this require that layover/stopover country’s Visa?
Seems like 48 hour transit visa can be done through Etihad at no cost when flying with them.

48-Hour Transit Visa - Single Entry

For passengers transiting through Abu Dhabi International Airport for a period of between eight to 48 hours and travelling onward to a third destination.
Validity of entry: 14 days
Duration: 48 hours
Number of entries: Single entry
Visa fee: Free

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Wow. Thanks :) will check
This opens up a completely new world of possibilities.
There are a few flights on United to IST via LHR for 30k miles + 40$ 🙈
Yep, do take note stopovers seem to be allowed and free in Etihad, and maybeeven on some partner airlines?
So while flying with any of them, you can stay for a few days in the connecting city if you wish.

Found this in an article:
Etihad Guest Etihad Guest allows stopovers in Abu Dhabi for award tickets, but you have to book the awards by phone. It is important to note that Etihad Guest generally restricts you to connections of up to only eight hours, whether traveling with Etihad or a partner. That means a connection of anything longer than eight hours is considered a stopover. Etihad has a number of partners you can redeem miles for, and there are unique charts for each partner. Etihad Guest permits stopovers when traveling on Air Canada, Air Europa, Air Seychelles, All Nippon Airways, American, Asiana, Gulf Air, Hainan Airlines, Korean Air, Malaysia Airlines, Oman Air, and Royal Air Maroc. While that’s how the rules are written, booking partner awards with Etihad Guest can be an adventure, so I’d expect to have to work hard to get a stopover on a partner airline.

Amit Dhatrak

TF Buzz
Yep, do take note stopovers seem to be allowed and free in Etihad, and maybeeven on some partner airlines?
So while flying with any of them, you can stay for a few days in the connecting city if you wish.

Found this in an article:
JFYI and for other TF members
Flight from BOM to IST through Cairo stopover (17 hrs) is one of the better options

Transit Visa for Cairo is free for time less than 48 hrs.

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
JFYI and for other TF members
Flight from BOM to IST through Cairo stopover (17 hrs) is one of the better options

Transit Visa for Cairo is free for time less than 48 hrs.
You might want to double check on that. I don't think there's any visa free facility for Indian passport holder except for groups of 5 or more with a travel guarantee letter from an agency and hotel bookings. Other than that it seems you will need to arrange a visa before hand. A quick call to the consulate might clear it up.

Enjoy your trip!

AakashCJB

TF Select
Hi TF Community,

I wish to travel to Turkey from 25th March'23 - 9th April'23 (flexible dates) and was searching award flights. However, I am new to FFP world and since, there are many tricks here like booking partner flights through one FFP or transfering miles b/w FFPs and so on, would request your help on knowing the best award flight option for this travel.

Below are the options available on FFPs available through Axis Magnus (as per my research) - Searched for Mumbai-Istanbul

1. Flying Blue
One way flight on Air France Portal - 37500 miles + 60 $
One way flight on KLM Portal = 43500 miles + 55 $

2. Etihad Guest

One way flight = 22891 miles + 162 $

3. United MileagePlus

One way flight = 30000 miles + 34 $

4. Qatar Airways (Privilege Club)

One way flight through QA/BA = 40250 miles + (not able to load dollars page)
One way flight through partners = Error "Acitivity not allowed"

5. Turkish Airlines (Miles&Smiles)
One way flight = 20000 + 174 $
This is the sweetest deal as the flight here is non-stop (only non-stop from the given options) except for the very high taxes part
However, it is mentioned on the website that Classic Plus members can pay taxes through miles too. Need help if there is any easy way to achieve this status

6. Singapore Airlines (KrisFlyer)
Website under maintenance during the time of writing this post

7. Ethiopian Airlines (ShebaMiles)
Not able to view the miles requirement. Some difficulty in understanding the interfance

No flights available from Spice Jet, Air Asia & Vistara. I also checked AAdvantage although it is not a part of Axis Magnus partners

8. AAdvantage (American Airlines)
One way flight = 40,000 miles + 124 $

Requesting help from Airmiles/FFP experts to understand the best deal here or guidance to check for better deals
Yes mate!
Well Are these mentioned Miles/Points Economy class award ticket or Business class award ticket?

If these are economy class, what was the approx price on all these airlines (cash/revenue ticket) and the what was the price of ticket of other flight option?

The reason to ask is, EDGE MILES ARE PRECIOUS AND WE DONT WANT TO WASTE TO ON BAD REDEMPTION

Amit Dhatrak

TF Buzz
Hey
Yes mate!
Well Are these mentioned Miles/Points Economy class award ticket or Business class award ticket?

If these are economy class, what was the approx price on all these airlines (cash/revenue ticket) and the what was the price of ticket of other flight option?

The reason to ask is, EDGE MILES ARE PRECIOUS AND WE DONT WANT TO WASTE TO ON BAD REDEMPTION
Hey. These are all Economy only
Normal ticket one would get return at 35,000

AakashCJB

TF Select
Hey

Hey. These are all Economy only
Normal ticket one would get return at 35,000
Hey mate!

I guess the Qatar Avios numbers are somewhat misleading…
Qatar Q Calculator says:
BOM/DEL - IST Round trip:
50,000 AVIOS - Economy class
100,000 Avios - Business class
My pick: this is a good option!
5C64857F-E380-4790-BAB6-9B5732FEC9CC.jpeg

Amit Dhatrak

TF Buzz
Hey mate!

I guess the Qatar Avios numbers are somewhat misleading…
Qatar Q Calculator says:
BOM/DEL - IST Round trip:
50,000 AVIOS - Economy class
100,000 Avios - Business class
My pick: this is a good option!
5C64857F-E380-4790-BAB6-9B5732FEC9CC.jpeg
This certainly looks like the best option. However, it is showing me wrong numbers while booking. How do I book with these given Avios? I’d go for business return in this case.

AakashCJB

TF Select
Hmm.. Strange.. QR AVIOS usually shows what is mentioned on the QR Calculator page.
Can you share any screenshot / Snap of what are the AVIOS showing up while booking?

AakashCJB

TF Select
This certainly looks like the best option. However, it is showing me wrong numbers while booking. How do I book with these given Avios? I’d go for business return in this case.

Check from BOM/DEL. From other Indian airports with QR the miles required is more!

On some days there are 2x miles required on the same route on Qatar airways. Try skipping those days if flexible and try looking +/- 2 days to get this price

Have attached screenshot of MAY 2023 of BOM-IST/SAW & return.
One way costs 50,000 Avios + 200$ In business class & 25,000 Avios + 130$ In economy

Do prefer a long layover at DOH to use it to the best if flying QR.

To maximise, Do transfer to AVIOS if there are any bonus promotion to QR or BA

Attachments

• C7E9F001-4DFC-40C4-AFB3-C211C661FFC8.jpeg
    C7E9F001-4DFC-40C4-AFB3-C211C661FFC8.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 08BEA5FD-A707-495A-9C63-5DC5C9659DA3.jpeg
    08BEA5FD-A707-495A-9C63-5DC5C9659DA3.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 48
  • 05B05C36-905C-4E83-A327-CE385CCCDB7D.jpeg
    05B05C36-905C-4E83-A327-CE385CCCDB7D.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 5DAE0D00-BE7A-45E5-8662-39B25E8F7706.jpeg
    5DAE0D00-BE7A-45E5-8662-39B25E8F7706.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 48

Ksunnylove

TF Buzz
RML Group
VIP Lounge
which airline u booked with ? i m looking to book DEL-YYZ via turkish miles at 55000 mile plus 221 USD for economy one way (one stop at istanbul) .. is there any better option other than this ?