• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Are hotel loyalty programs really worth it?

theglobalinvestor

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I can almost always find the same room for the same dates for significantly cheaper through OTAs compared to booking direct for the loyalty/status benefits despite their claims of best prices and guarantees.

Most best price guarantees for direct bookings seem to be a marketing gimmick to serve as reassurance that you are getting the best price, when in reality you are likely not. It appears most hotels hide behind their tos and avoid honoring their best price guarantees with questionable tactics.

Also, why don't hotels actually just offer their best rates on their own website instead of all this runaround?

helloworld

TF Legend
+ to your points.

Prices always cheaper in OTAs compared to direct booking. People find it useful because they're able to collect and redeem their points on these increased rates and after getting member only rates. I also, during my travel used to find more price than like MMT. But, I thought may be not all properties like that and it needs time and book when its actually cheaper (that's what it means when people say sometimes you get better value means).

I agree with all of your points, maybe since I'm not a seasoned traveller, people with more bookings can enlighten. But here is what I find..

1698679243116.png 1698679301878.png 1698679327098.png

This is the price of same date and same hotel with/without discount and price offered by direct website (Member Rate).

But, same can also be redeemed with points like below...

1698679365543.png

Here, user ignoring the 16% discount on OTAs to avail redeem the points assuming 1 Point = 1.15 (when considered direct price) or 1 Point = 0.93 (OTA price). Not a bad deal actually.

For atlas it is nearly 4% reward rate. But it all depends, maybe I'm wrong since not aware all hotel chains and properties, timings, seasonal prices etc.

Two types:

1 - Pay with money (here, usually and most of the times OTA wins)
2 - Pay with Points (here, usually and most of the times timings win - date we book and price offered by that hotel)

Last edited:

MartianManhunter

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I was in a similar boat and I can share my experience. I had 0 knowledge of the hotel loyalty game. But with Axis's recent Magnus rush, I had gathered ~2L points which I transferred to All Accor.
Then I purchased their Explorer membership with 12K points (Think Rs.20K as 2K points = 40 Euros). I planned my recent trip around it.
Things I enjoyed:
1. Because I already had 10 nights in Accor, I got 20 free nights with Explorer membership, which bumped me straight to Gold membership which meant free room upgrades and welcome drinks.
2. I ended up booking a Rs.25K room(cheapest price I found online) for free (part of their Explorer membership)
3. I always checked the cheapest price online for a property and the app, almost always was a bit cheaper than that.
4. They also advertised red hot rooms(50% off) but I never found a deal for my entire 12-day trip.

So, this way, this membership gave me straight up Rs.5K + free upgrades for all the hotels + free beverages(alcoholic too) for me and my spouse at check-in.
It was also the best way to use Magnus's points so, all in all, it turned out to be excellent value. Also, the priority line at the reception, early check-ins, and late checkouts, sometimes welcome amenities(although, I didn't qualify for them yet) didn't hurt.

Also, I got a lot of vouchers for a free buffet for 2 for a couple of nearby hotels (never seen a straight-up free buffet with no TnC before in a loyalty program), 2+2 snacks, complimentary wine, desserts, discounts on food, spa, rooms etc. too which I'll be using too to extract more value.

Of course, with loyalty, you are bound by the chain and that's exactly what they want. Also, the free room has specific dates and whatnot. It's not a very easy way of booking but if you are flexible then it can turn out to be great for both the hotel chain and you.

I hope this helps.

cardio_guy

TF Premier
Still wondering to figure out the hotel vouchers reward redemption techniques. If there are some useful informative TF threads, pls share the links. Looking to get some credit cards that help in hotel points.