• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

AMEX Platinum Travel Renewal

My Amex Plat Travel card is up for renewal soon and wanted to know what is best they do if we ready to do the renewal:
1. either annual fee waiver (5K)
or
2. Bonus AMEX points in lieu of paying the annual fees
or
3. Something else?

TIA...

Last edited:

yashbhavnani

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
My Amex Plat Travel card is up for renewal soon and wanted to know what is best they do if we ready to do the renewal:
1. either annual fee waiver (5K)
or
2. Bonus AMEX points in lieu of paying the annual fees....

TIA...
1) best case - they will waive off the fee without flinching stating that you have been a precious customer and this is our way of thanking you.
2) good case - they will offer you a complete fee waiver at a cost ie they will offer a fee waiver for 5900 or 10000 points deduction.
3) worst case - no fee waiver whatsoever. You ll be asked to pay the fee if you want to keep the card.

navonline7

TF Premier
my plat travel is due for renewal this month. Amex offered me the following:
  • Waive off the fee by deducting 10k MRs
  • Credit 10K MRs if I pay 5900
I tried pushing them for 14K MRs credit by paying them 5900, but they didn't seem to budge. Can I still push them or shall I take the first option? I'm now wondering that I should have asked them for a complete fee waiver, without MRs deduction.

tapishj

TF Buzz
Has anyone transferred points from one Amex card to another?
I am thinking of transferring 45K points from Platinum travel to MRCC or Gold and then close Platinum travel.

bonheur

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I am thinking of transferring 45K points from Platinum travel to MRCC or Gold and then close Platinum travel.
I think the points accrue to the account and not the card, in which case as long as there’s even a single card on the account you’ll keep the points?

Btw, why do you want to close PT?

tapishj

TF Buzz
@bonheur - Spends are such that rewards get maximized on other cards. Also, planning to shift all spends to DCB (irrespective of reward rate right now) so that I can ask for Infinia later.
Will retain Travel platinum if some renewal offer is given.

tapishj

TF Buzz
my plat travel is due for renewal this month. Amex offered me the following:
  • Waive off the fee by deducting 10k MRs
  • Credit 10K MRs if I pay 5900
I tried pushing them for 14K MRs credit by paying them 5900, but they didn't seem to budge. Can I still push them or shall I take the first option? I'm now wondering that I should have asked them for a complete fee waiver, without MRs deduction.
@navonline7 What worked for you finally?

minhazuddin

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Platinum Travel MR Points are already pooled with other Amex cards like MRCC nd Gold. Even if you close Platinum Travel, your MR Points will be there if atleast one Amex card is active.

sadhunath

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Does anyone have an idea how AMEX system calculates retention offers?

Do they want to retain high spenders who hit their 4 lakh milestone every year? or low spenders who hit 1.9 L milestone, but not 4 lakh one?

Their retention offers seems mysterious to me.

Last year, I was offered full waiver of 5k+GST for 5k MR points deduction, when I hit only 1.9 lakh milestone. But this time around they offered a no condition waiver of 2500 + GST when I hit 4 lakh milestone.