• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex Plat Travel renewal fee waiver. Is it ok to accept?

neogen

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
My Amex plat travel is up for renewal. On contacting Amex, they are offering 50% fee waiver.

Do you think its ok to accept this 50% renewal fee waiver offer?

sm9811911

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
so in that case (1MR=0.33p), you're spending 1L on multiplier.. which means

spent: 1,00,000
base: 2,000 MR (=660Rs.)
multiplier: 8,000 MR (=2640Rs.)
fee waiver: 4500+GST (=5310Rs.)

Net %: 8.61% with fee waiver or 3.3% without fee waiver.

Is that good value? do we have to satisfy the fee got waived like this?

How much apprx. spends in last year?
These returns are when you can use up az gv and if you ignore the opportunity cost(many cards give higher returns on az gv).

So bad returns. Worse acceptability.
But good one time referral rewards and good service.
In the end, acceptability and net returns (on daily spends) matter more to me at least in the long run.

sjmajumder

TF Ace
Maybe not ,but let me ask you something, do you forsee any long term issues with doing this ,Canceling and Reapplying for Amex Cards every year

And I'm not being rhetorical,
I'm asking because a family friend has Amex Plat Charge and it's up for renewal later this year ,his wife has an Plat Travel and MRCC ,and she's getting upgrade to Plat Charge with 1,35,000 Points ,
I told him to cancel his card ,get his wife the card and then continue switching back forth every year ,but he says what @sjmajumder has already mentioned that Relationship is also important and he genuinely enjoys using this card & wants to continue with it

Again ,not criticizing anyone ,is there a drawback to recycling Amex card for years ,they might notice and take hostile measures ?
You might cancel and get new once or twice but not forever. And they do maintain all the records. Decide what is important to you couple of thousands or the relationship.

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator
It's actually Pay 10k points to waive off fee ,

Does it still make sense ?
see i got plat travel this year and my dad's contacted to amex CS so i remember 1 and 2 option. cause he took 50% off on plat travel (i remember this cause 50% on GST and Princial amount were reversed )and 10k point were given to him against fees paid in gold. cause he paid 5310/- without actually having a word with me. so i was like shit..

Swastik

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Does anyone know personally anyone who has recycled Amex cards for a long time ,like multiple years
Coz the way i see it ,if you can Recycle Amex Plat Charge every year,
You get 1,35,000 points worth of Marriot/Taj stays plus most Ultra Premium Card in the country for ~70K every year

And if you can transfer points for 30% more to marriot ,you'll actually end making more money then spent ,assuming you like Marriot stays(i mean who doesn't ,right)

helloworld

TF Legend
These returns are when you can use up az gv and if you ignore the opportunity cost(many cards give higher returns on az gv).

So bad returns. Worse acceptability.
But good one time referral rewards and good service.
In the end, acceptability and net returns (on daily spends) matter more to me at least in the long run.

Yes. Original post said required redemption APay, hence the calculation. Except referrals (which I never availed), I do not see much benefits with AMEX. Neither received any spend based offers also (except purchase through that reward multipler site affiliate program).

Maybe they find good value.

helloworld

TF Legend
Coz the way i see it ,if you can Recycle Amex Plat Charge every year,
You get 1,35,000 points worth of Marriot/Taj stays plus most Ultra Premium Card in the country for ~70K every year

And if you can transfer points for 30% more to marriot ,you'll actually end making more money then spent ,assuming you like Marriot stays(i mean who doesn't ,right)

someone already doing.. and they're patching.. do with caution.

Swastik

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

someone already doing.. and they're patching.. do with caution.
Post in thread 'Amex Platinum Charge retention offer' https://www.technofino.in/community/threads/amex-platinum-charge-retention-offer.20080/post-574276

Check it out ,someone said this once in a lifetime joining bonus is for US only ,not for india

helloworld

TF Legend
Post in thread 'Amex Platinum Charge retention offer' https://www.technofino.in/community/threads/amex-platinum-charge-retention-offer.20080/post-574276

Check it out ,someone said this once in a lifetime joining bonus is for US only ,not for india

that means your requirement is under radar, and slowly they patching. if you want to do it, do it now because they may implement the same here too. It just they have to add customer ids on already exist sytem. thats it. So, now is the best time to re-cycle whatever you want to do it with AMEX cards. We don't know next year.

Swastik

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
that means your requirement is under radar, and slowly they patching. if you want to do it, do it now because they may implement the same here too. It just they have to add customer ids on already exist sytem. thats it. So, now is the best time to re-cycle whatever you want to do it with AMEX cards. We don't know next year.
Not for me ,my Plat Travel is already paid for this year ,and Plat Charge is too rich for my blood ,

But i was just curious, this sounds like an real life Infinite money glitch ,till it's patched of course