• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

About the SBI IRCTC Platinum card

irctc-rupay-front.png

I feel this is one of the most underrated cards in the market. I will try to explain the value prop of this card in the post.

The good:
1. This is the cheapest SBI card with an AF of Rs. 300
2. The card comes as FYF if you apply via a referral along with a Amazon voucher of Rs. 500 (so effectively free for 2 years)
3. The card is applicable on all SBI offers, I've used it to save around 7k so far on Amazon SBI offers
4. Huge one for me personally - 10% value back on AC train bookings. I travel weekly and this is a god send.
4. Decent railways lounge access - 4 times a year.

The bad:
1. Redemption process: First you have to have a IRCTC loyalty account created for you by SBI. This took 4 days for me after the card was delivered, and I followed up with them each day. This should have been created as soon as the card details are generated. Once the IRCTC loyalty account is created, you have to go ahead and link your account on the website. After that, every time you click book now, you will be shown an intermittent loyalty screen like this

1706780761215.png

For a few trains, you only get Accrual option and for most others you also get a 'Redemption' option. Accrual is straightforward, you go ahead with your normal booking flow and pay with the card, HDFC gateway is recommended for this as its the most consistent gateway where 1% transaction charges are reversed. Another thing to note here is that you cannot change your name on the ticket - it will be the one on your card and is not editable during booking. Presumably this is done to prevent misuse by travel agents. During redemption - you click redemption and simply pay with your points (you have to have a transaction password created for this prior to redeeming). Another note is that you have to have full value of points to redeem i.e. if you're booking a ticket for Rs. 500, you need to have 500 points, points + pay is not an option.
As you can probably see, the redemption process is less than ideal and cumbersome at best. However, I don't have a suggestion here as to how they can improve this process while also keeping travel agencies from gaming the system.

The Ugly: none :)

For anyone who is looking to get an SBI Card for the sake of it, or for the offers, just get this one instead of SimpliClick or SimpliSave. Its effectively 2 years free and you stand a good chance of converting this to LTF down the line, since its not an in demand card. The card is also a no brainier for regular (at least 2 times a month) train travelers who prefer traveling in AC coaches.

Happy to answer if anyone has any doubts on this card!

Last edited:

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
irctc-rupay-front.png

I feel this is one of the most underrated cards in the market. I will try to explain the value prop of this card in the post.

The good:
1. This is the cheapest SBI card with an AF of Rs. 300
2. The card comes as FYF if you apply via a referral along with a Amazon voucher of Rs. 500 (so effectively free for 2 years)
3. The card is applicable on all SBI offers, I've used it to save around 7k so far on Amazon SBI offers
4. Huge one for me personally - 10% value back on AC train bookings. I travel weekly and this is a god send.
4. Decent railways lounge access - 4 times a year.

The bad:
1. Redemption process: First you have to have a IRCTC loyalty account created for you by SBI. This took 4 days for me after the card was delivered, and I followed up with them each day. This should have been created as soon as the card details are generated. Once the IRCTC loyalty account is created, you have to go ahead and link your account on the website. After that, every time you click book now, you will be shown an intermittent loyalty screen like this

1706780761215.png

For a few trains, you only get Accrual option and for most others you also get a 'Redemption' option. Accrual is straightforward, you go ahead with your normal booking flow and pay with the card, HDFC gateway is recommended for this as its the most consistent gateway where 1% transaction charges are reversed. Another thing to note here is that you cannot change your name on the ticket - it will be the one on your card and is not editable during booking. Presumably this is done to prevent misuse by travel agents. During redemption - you click redemption and simply pay with your points (you have to have a transaction password created for this prior to redeeming). Another note is that you have to have full value of points to redeem i.e. if you're booking a ticket for Rs. 500, you need to have 500 points, points + pay is not an option.
As you can probably see, the redemption process is less than ideal and cumbersome at best. However, I don't have a suggestion here as to how they can improve this process while also keeping travel agencies from gaming the system.

The Ugly: none :)

For anyone who is looking to get an SBI Card for the sake of it, or for the offers, just get this one instead of SimpliClick or SimpliSave. Its effectively 2 years free and you stand a good chance of converting this to LTF down the line, since its non an in demand card. The card is also a no brainier for regular (at least 2 times a month) train travelers who prefer traveling in AC coaches.

Happy to answer if anyone has any doubts on this card!
If I don't get cashback card will get this 😁

Sisyphus

TF Select
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Still unable to apply for this. Everytime I try to apply via sprint portal it keeps pulling up my successful application for sbi cc card from November 2023

YONO doesn't work for this card and customer support just asks to drop an email that am unable to apply this card via sprint portal.

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Still unable to apply for this. Everytime I try to apply via sprint portal it keeps pulling up my successful application for sbi cc card from November 2023

YONO doesn't work for this card and customer support just asks to drop an email that am unable to apply this card via sprint portal.
Offline .. via railway agent .will have this card

I have its visa version, and SBI is not replacing it to rupay. they say apply for new card.
thats just lazy, if they dont have a process for changing network. If you apply for a new card, you should confirm with CC that your loyalty points will get carried over to the new ID. else you might end up losing the points earned.

Could you please elaborate on how this works? So I cannot use this card for a journey if I am not one of the travellers?
The intent for this is you cannot claim the 10% for anyone else but you.

You can use the card for the booking like any other card, however it won’t earn the 10% value back. You’ll receive standard 0.8% reward rate + 1% transaction charge reversal.

I’ll give an example assuming a unit ticket price to be ₹500.

ScenarioTicket priceReward
You alone travel50050
You + friend100054
Friend alone5004

As you the see, the card can be used for all scenarios, it’s just that the main value back is only applicable for the primary card holders tickets.

dexter_greycells

TF Premier
A family member has had this card (the VISA Platinum variant) since 2016 with me as an add-on and it has been a love-hate relationship with this card -

Love -
1. Cheapest SBI card that works on all online offers. SimplyCLICK and SimplySAVE are Rs 500 a year.
2. Reversal of 1% Payment Gateway charges on IRCTC
3. 0.8% reward rate is not premium but better than a lot of competitors

Hate -
1. The 10% cashback that you mentioned is ONLY applicable if the primary cardholder is the one travelling. For family and friends, you get the standard 0.8% reward rate. My family member ironically never travels by train or probably once in 3 years whereas the parents travel multiple times a year. In hindsight, it would have been better to take it in the parents' name.
2. The 10% cashback is only for off-peak season / 6 months of the year. The remaining time it is 5%.
3. The redemption has to cover the entire ticket fare. That is, for a Rs 1k ticket you cannot redeem 500 pts and pay remaining 500 by another method. You need to have 1000 pts or, worse, buy them at 1 pt = Rs 1.5 + GST.
4. There is no spend-based waiver either on this card unlike SimplyCLICK and SimplySAVE that have 1L as the spend criteria.
5. When my card was renewed after 5 yrs, the points stopped getting credited. I noticed that only after a couple of years. I have had to raise 3 tickets to SBI who told me last month that this month' statement should fix the issue. Fingers crossed. They also sent me to IRCTC once who asked me to go back to SBI. Another TF member has had the same issue with no resolution.

The number of times we have wanted to cancel this card or replace it with SimplyCLICK has been way too much. Then I read horror stories of people redeeming SimplyCLICK RPs and then SBI charging their CC statements wrongly for it! That stops me from cancelling this card because so far I have never had SBI charging me wrongly.

A few years after getting this card, I discovered HDFC SmartBuy and its 3X RPs / 5% CB on HDFC CCs/DCs and have never used my SBI IRCTC card expect for Tatkal / 8 am bookings when HDFC SmartBuy won't work.

If you are hell-bent on getting an IRCTC co-branded card then the HDFC IRCTC RuPay card is infinitely better on paper since it rewards nearly 10% via the HDFC SmartBuy portal not only for the primary cardholder but anyone. Disclaimer - I have not personally used it.

A family member has had this card (the VISA Platinum variant) since 2016 with me as an add-on and it has been a love-hate relationship with this card -

Love -
1. Cheapest SBI card that works on all online offers. SimplyCLICK and SimplySAVE are Rs 500 a year.

Hate -
1. The 10% cashback that you mentioned is ONLY applicable if the primary cardholder is the one travelling. For family and friends, you get the standard 0.8% reward rate. My family member ironically never travels by train or probably once in 3 years whereas the parents travel multiple times a year. In hindsight, it would have been better to take it in the parents' name.
2. The 10% cashback is only for off-peak season / 6 months of the year. The remaining time it is 5%.
3. The redemption has to cover the entire ticket fare. That is, for a Rs 1k ticket you cannot redeem 500 pts and pay remaining 500 by another method. You need to have 1000 pts or, worse, buy them at 1 pt = Rs 1.5 + GST.
4. There is no spend-based waiver either on this card unlike SimplyCLICK and SimplySAVE that have 1L as the spend criteria.
5. When my card was renewed after 5 yrs, the points stopped getting credited. I noticed that only after a couple of years. I have had to raise 3 tickets to SBI who told me last month that this month' statement should fix the issue. Fingers crossed. They also sent me to IRCTC once who asked me to go back to SBI. Another TF member has had the same issue with no resolution.

The number of times we have wanted to cancel this card or replace it with SimplyCLICK has been way too much. Then I read horror stories of people redeeming SimplyCLICK RPs and then SBI charging their CC statements wrongly for it! That stops me from cancelling this card because so far I have never had SBI charging me wrongly.

A few years after getting this card, I discovered HDFC SmartBuy and its 3X RPs / 5% CB on HDFC CCs/DCs and have never used my SBI IRCTC card expect for Tatkal / 8 am bookings when HDFC SmartBuy won't work.

If you are hell-bent on getting an IRCTC co-branded card then the HDFC IRCTC RuPay card is infinitely better on paper since it rewards nearly 10% via the HDFC SmartBuy portal not only for the primary cardholder but anyone. Disclaimer - I have not personally used it.
Is 5% cash back on Smartbuy applicable on HDFC debit cards as well?

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge

Love -

Hate -

@GalacticTreasurer mark this as best answer .
Its good overall answer about the card