• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

amex not accepted for youtube premium

dungeonMaster

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
> YouTube takes a fixed 45% cut from the initial subscription amount and distributes 55% to content owners

If anything, watching content for free makes you the leecher, no?
That's peanuts for them compared to the advertising revenue that they get.

Youtube, netflix their origin promise was to be better and cheaper than cable tv, but they've gone down the same path with inflated prices.

the_collector

TF Premier
That's peanuts for them compared to the advertising revenue that they get.

Youtube, netflix their origin promise was to be better and cheaper than cable tv, but they've gone down the same path with inflated prices.
I find YT premium at 100/month , well worth it. I watch YouTube extensively and now come to think of it , I can't watch it with ads.

Plus I use YT music as my main music streaming service too. So it's plus all around.

To add to that, I've taken the family plan, where I can share the subscription with 5 members which makes it absolutely worth it.

Plus the peace of mind of not having a modded app installed from a 3rd party site is well worth the price paid for premium

Ps - I realise I used worth it a lot, but you get the emotion :p

0x5f3759df

TF Select
advertising revenue

> Creators who are part of the YouTube Partner Program (YPP) are eligible to earn money from ads displayed on their videos. The revenue generated from YPP ads is split between YouTube and the creator. YouTube typically keeps 45% of the revenue, and the remaining 55% goes to the creator.

inflated prices

The annual pricing for YT Premium is 1,299. You consider supporting creators + YouTube Music for Rs. 100/mo inflated?

dungeonMaster

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
No content creater starts content creation for the sake of generating revenue from premium memberships.

That 45:55 model you just explained is set by youtube to justify the premium membership only.

Basically youtube is the only gainer here, where they charge users for content which never costed them a single dime. 💀

dungeonMaster

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
> Creators who are part of the YouTube Partner Program (YPP) are eligible to earn money from ads displayed on their videos. The revenue generated from YPP ads is split between YouTube and the creator. YouTube typically keeps 45% of the revenue, and the remaining 55% goes to the creator.

The annual pricing for YT Premium is 1,299. You consider supporting creators + YouTube Music for Rs. 100/mo inflated?
Again as I said premium is not there major source of revenue, that would be ads and sponsorships.

Think about the tv model, you would've been charged for subscription from cable provider for channels you want to watch. Content creators were channel which involved production and distribution.

Now you are charged for the internet, for the youtube service, for xyz service. And constantly being harrased to support your creators by the company which putted this rigged system in place. 💀

dungeonMaster

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Video delivery and hosting is notoriously expensive, which is why YouTube has no competitors. Around 3.7M new videos are uploaded to YouTube every day, plus 1 billion hours of video served to users each day.
Still peanuts for them.
So tomorrow facebook/instagram asks for premium subscription you're gonna buy it as well?
Next what, premium subscription for gmail?

dungeonMaster

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Video delivery and hosting is notoriously expensive, which is why YouTube has no competitors. Around 3.7M new videos are uploaded to YouTube every day, plus 1 billion hours of video served to users each day.
And competitor is not around due to expensive services, it's not around due to predatory practices of google/youtube for killing the competition.

No wonder even the likes of bing have not been able to challenge google. It's straight forward sherlock

the_collector

TF Premier
Still peanuts for them.
So tomorrow facebook/instagram asks for premium subscription you're gonna buy it as well?
Next what, premium subscription for gmail?
I get where you're coming from.

But I don't think yt premium was ever sold as a way to support creators. They created the "join" button where you can support the creators directly.

Yt premium was targetted to remove ads. They're not making money of viewership( since the viewer won't get any ads) but instead charging for it the other way.

For occasional yt viewers and Spotify/apple music users, the fee may not be justified.

But then again, for a viewer who spends a lot of time on the platform and uses YT music, it's a no brainer.

It's a business at the end of the day, just because a service was completely free once doesn't mean it'll be free forever.

Jio started out by giving free sims for early adoption. They can't continue that can they? But they got users hooked enough to make them switch to the paid service.

dungeonMaster

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I get where you're coming from.

But I don't think yt premium was ever sold as a way to support creators. They created the "join" button where you can support the creators directly.

Yt premium was targetted to remove ads. They're not making money of viewership( since the viewer won't get any ads) but instead charging for it the other way.

For occasional yt viewers and Spotify/apple music users, the fee may not be justified.

But then again, for a viewer who spends a lot of time on the platform and uses YT music, it's a no brainer.

It's a business at the end of the day, just because a service was completely free once doesn't mean it'll be free forever.

Jio started out by giving free sims for early adoption. They can't continue that can they? But they got users hooked enough to make them switch to the paid service.
I don't have a problem with the business, I understand it's business and they're providing convience.

I just have a problem of how they pretend to be initially, like disruptive free for all, messiah service.
Like jio is considered messiah for bringing affordable prices.
But all these are predatory practices which eventually kills the competition. Telecom sector which had many players now only have 3.

karanssh

TF Premier
Contributor
VIP Lounge
You could buy AGV/ASV using Amex Gyftr, and then recharge your google pay balance or buy a google play gift card and add it to your account and use that as a payment method. You need to add a debit card, but then you can set primary method as google play balance if it has enough balance in the account.