• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

What is MCC? Why Is It Important? Consequences of Merchants Using the Wrong MCC

A Merchant Category Code (MCC) is a four-digit number used by credit card companies to classify the services or products offered by a business. The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) establishes and assigns these merchant category codes. Despite consisting of only four digits, these codes hold significant importance for both consumers and business owners.

The Importance of MCC:
Merchant Category Codes (MCCs) hold significance for both businesses and consumers, mainly due to their influence on Merchant Discount Rates (MDR).

For Businesses:

MDR Percentage:
MDR constitutes a fee charged by payment gateway providers to merchants for accepting credit or debit card payments. MDR percentages are determined based on the MCC of a business. Depending on the MCC, MDR can differ for various categories. For instance, payment gateways typically apply an approximate 1% MDR for businesses categorized as educational services and around 1.3% MDR for those categorized as grocery shops.

Business Risk Assessment: Merchant acquirers and payment processors usually evaluate a business's relative risk based on their business type, directly linked to the MCC. This evaluation aids in determining various aspects such as MDR fees (higher-risk businesses entail higher MDR), payment approval rates (credit card issuers might decline payments to high-risk businesses like gambling), chargeback protection (higher-risk businesses might receive reduced chargeback protection, like gambling. This generally applies to businesses with elevated fraud rates and consequently, higher chargeback ratios), and some other parameters.

Convenience Fees: Not all businesses are authorized to impose convenience fees on their customers. Depending on their MCC, it is determined whether a business can apply convenience fees to their customers or not. For instance, fuel stations are allowed to pass on surcharges to their customers.

For Credit Card Holders:

Reward System:

Credit card issuing companies generally offer rewards every time a customer uses their credit card. However, they don't provide the same reward rate for all categories. For example, the SBI Cashback credit card offers 5% cashback on online shopping, 1% on utility bill payments, and no cashback on certain categories like rent payment and government payments. Card issuers, like SBI Card, examine a merchant's MCC to determine its business category and then set the reward rate accordingly.

Tax Purposes:
Certain transactions need to be reported to the income tax department, such as rent payments. Card issuers can identify such transactions based on MCC.

What If a Business Has the Wrong MCC?
Card networks such as Visa, Mastercard, and Amex assign MCCs to merchants based on their business categories. However, sometimes merchants are assigned the wrong MCC. This mistake usually occurs from the payment gateway provider's end. Sometimes, merchants provide incorrect information about their business to obtain a lower MDR. In some cases, local agents of payment gateway providers intentionally assign wrong MCCs for various reasons.

A wrong MCC can affect both the merchant and the customer. Nowadays, card issuing companies offer rewards and report certain transactions to the income tax department based on the merchant’s MCC. Let me give you a real life recent examples of such cases:
Recently, one of our TechnoFino Community members stayed at a Sofitel hotel and used his SBI Cashback credit card to pay for the stay. After a few days, he noticed that SBI Card had charged him Rs. 199+GST, and he didn't receive any reward for that transaction. When he contacted SBI Card for clarification, the response was shocking. The MCC of the Sofitel property was categorized as "property management/rent payment," so they charged him Rs. 199+GST as rent payment processing fees. As per the terms and conditions of rent payment, he didn't receive any reward.
Imagine, a hotel stay being categorized as rent payment. Forget the reward and extra fees; if the amount exceeds a certain threshold, he could be penalized by the IT department for not deducting TDS on such payments.

This was just an example; wrong MCC or MCC miscoding is a real and common problem. Card issuing companies are not liable; it's the acquiring bank that is responsible. Payment gateway providers should be more careful while assigning MCCs to merchants. Credit card rewards are essential for cardholders, and due to MCC miscoding, many cardholders don't receive the expected rewards they're eligible for. RBI should establish strict guidelines for all payment gateway providers to minimize mistakes. If payment gateway providers display a merchant's MCC on the OTP page for online transactions and on the POS machine for offline merchants, this MCC miscoding problem could be effectively resolved. This step would also help consumers easily identify a merchant's business category.

R@J

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
@TechnoFino
I guess RBI should mandate display of MCC codes at the OTP screen. Currently, we get to see the Merchant Name, Ref No, Amount, etc on the OTP confirmation page. This will help customer a lot and will also cut down on the number of customer complaints (for reward point related, extra fee related, etc)
So, feasibility wise, it is not at all a challenge....just not sure how can we make them take this feedback seriously.

beingmohit

TF Premier
@TechnoFino
I guess RBI should mandate display of MCC codes at the OTP screen. Currently, we get to see the Merchant Name, Ref No, Amount, etc on the OTP confirmation page. This will help customer a lot and will also cut down on the number of customer complaints (for reward point related, extra fee related, etc)
So, feasibility wise, it is not at all a challenge....just not sure how can we make them take this feedback seriously.
That won't solve the problem completely. While swiping the card at PoS terminals, such issues can still happen.
RBI should introduce an incentive-based reporting system for consumers. If a consumer finds that a business has an incorrect MCC, the consumer can lodge a complaint with RBI, along with the necessary proof. If RBI finds that the merchant has used an unrelated MCC, they are penalized and a part of the penalty is paid to the consumer as a reward.

Tejo

TF Legend
RBI should introduce an incentive-based reporting system for consumers.
You can still complain about wrong mcc marking to RBI BO.

If RBI finds that the merchant has used an unrelated MCC, they are penalized and a part of the penalty is paid to the consumer as a reward.
Then merchants will not accept cards at all.

Note:
* Even in other countries, there is no rule that states, mcc marking should be correct.
* Mostly all merchants will tag a similar mcc. Some bugs will be there, like how jio wallet, amazonpay tagged shopping mcc due to their parent/main business, later they rectified.
* Actually for mobile recharges, the mcc should be telecom but even in airtel app, utility mcc only. Here, mdr fee on utilities is more compared to telecom. God knows why still utility is preferred. (leave phonpe)
* Govt. agencies cares only if theres any tax evasion.

Greencheese

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
This situation is rampant, recently I ran into a irritating situation, I got charged rental processing fee on my SC Ult card against a payment to Urban Company.

The UC customer service are a bunch of morons, and, according to them, they do not have an MCC.

SC does not mention the MCC in the statement, I have asked them for it, let us see what happens.

CardQuest

TF Buzz
I don't get why the RBI doesn't make it mandatory to reveal the MCC code to the credit card holders prior to any transaction. I think the charge slip issued at POS terminals also doesn't mention MCC code. It is apparent that card issuer's deprive customers of the rewards earned due to no fault of the customer. Since the MCC code is hidden from the customer prior to any transaction, it is grossly unfair to penalize customers and the payment gateway provider should instead be held liable by the RBI to bear the cost of their own mistake. It seems that this blatantly unfair MCC code burden on the customer exists to favour the card issuing banks by allowing them to indirectly escape their obligation as and when required.

Tejo

TF Legend
I don't get why the RBI doesn't make it mandatory to reveal the MCC code to the credit card holders prior to any transaction. I think the charge slip issued at POS terminals also doesn't mention MCC code. It is apparent that card issuer's deprive customers of the rewards earned due to no fault of the customer. Since the MCC code is hidden from the customer prior to any transaction, it is grossly unfair to penalize customers and the payment gateway provider should instead be held liable by the RBI to bear the cost of their own mistake. It seems that this blatantly unfair MCC code burden on the customer exists to favour the card issuing banks by allowing them to indirectly escape their obligation as and when required.
Already we are benefited by having certain credit limit.

Rbi don't want people to spend their money for reward points and cashback.

Already people doing lakhs of unusual txns for rewards. Even cancellations are very high.

Don't blame RBI, did you see in any country about mcc marking rule or law?

anonymuos

TF Ace

Already people doing lakhs of unusual txns for rewards. Even cancellations are very high.

When MCC is being manipulated or set wrongly, someone's always getting richer. It's the customer which gets the short end of the stick while the merchant makes/saves money and the bank probably gets less MDR due to wrong MCC so they share no/less rewards. Having a rule for correct MCC will restore balance to the whole system because merchant is not supposed to abuse it like this for his profit.

CardQuest

TF Buzz

I am not blaming the RBI for the actions of some merchants or payment gateway providers. I agree, that there will always be unscrupulous elements who will try to game the system. However there must be some transparency about MCC code so that an honest customer can make an informed decision and doesn't feel shortchanged after the fact.
All I am saying is the onus of ensuring correct MCC code should shift from the customer to the payment gateway provider or the merchant.

drsel

TF Legend
Flipkart MCC is 5964
Direct Marketing – Catalog Merchant and other similar services

Last edited:

RajeshV

TF Premier
The customer being aware of what their charge will be reported as, is much more important that penalizing merchants.

MCC absolutely must be shown in OTP/PIN pages.

Even I was stung recently by OYO and SBI Cashback card and was charged ₹234.82 for a ₹964 booking. The booking was even cancelled within a few hours due to some check-in policy issues.

SBI support has been adamant and unhelpful with one of the agents going so far as to saying that the transaction was made with a third party seller, not SBI app, and that all such transactions will be charged a fee irrespective of what they actually are and so the fee will not be 'waived' even if the transaction was refunded (recorded). Another agent said it'll be reversed once I get the refund, and yet another stayed mum and acted like there was a network issue (could hear backgroud and breathing 😑). Now I'm waiting for the refund to see how to proceed.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
Interesting fact about MCC -

Kuch log wrong MCC k chalte cashback/reward point gawate hai and kuch log wrong MCC k chalte cashback/reward point earn kar k loot te hai. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

By the way recently, NPCI ne merchant payment UPI apps and acquire banks ko sahi se UPI MCC assigned karne k liye kaha hai.

Bahot se merchant UPI QR hai jo ab bhi P2P UPI MCC assigned kiya hua hai. Usko sahi se P2PM and P2M UPI MCC assigned karne k liye bola hai.

Aur yeh galat P2P UPI MCC assigned k chalte bhi RuPay Crecit Card link UPI payment declined/reject ho rahe hai Merchant UPI QR pe.

The categorization needs to be completed by 10th December, 2023.

Eye of Ajay

TF Select
VIP Lounge
The MCC on CheQ is such which gives RPs intentionally by design "Its in their ad's also". Due to the same they have gotten a lawyers letter to stop the incorrect usage of the MCC.