• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Upi Lite X on iOS?

asahi

TF Premier
After the bhim app update, upi Lite x option appeared on iOS bhim app also, when I registered & try go make a transaction it asked for the nfc enabled device(which receives the money), so this means Apple allowing third party apps to use NFC??

Attachments

• IMG_4470.png
    IMG_4470.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 24

Aditya12

TF Premier
Probably yes but this does not look like the traditional tap and pay where the phone acts as a debit or a credit card. Instead this is pure UPI based. Nonetheless it’s surprising that apple allowed the use of its nfc.

provost

TF Buzz
Probably yes but this does not look like the traditional tap and pay where the phone acts as a debit or a credit card. Instead this is pure UPI based. Nonetheless it’s surprising that apple allowed the use of its nfc.
Apple allows you to read or write on NFC tags since a long time. What they don't allow is the functionality to do a host card emulation (HCE), which is what is used on Android to do card tap & pay. They restrict any card based tap & pay use cases only to Apple Pay.

This is simply a reading of NFC tag/sticker which is encoded with information on a usual QR code.
After the bhim app update, upi Lite x option appeared on iOS bhim app also, when I registered & try go make a transaction it asked for the nfc enabled device(which receives the money), so this means Apple allowing third party apps to use NFC??

Aditya12

TF Premier
Apple allows you to read or write on NFC tags since a long time. What they don't allow is the functionality to do a host card emulation (HCE), which is what is used on Android to do card tap & pay. They restrict any card based tap & pay use cases only to Apple Pay.

This is simply a reading of NFC tag/sticker which is encoded with information on a usual QR code.
Great info. Thanks!

asahi

TF Premier
I know we can read nfc tags with iPhones, i used to read icici promotional tags whenever i visited a branch, so it would be nice that paytm & phonepe also uses this method