• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

TDS/Payment Classified as 192 (Salary) in place of 194J (Fees for professional or technical services)

RadioactiveTabela

TF Premier
Hello folks,

One of my retainer client has somehow classified my professional fees as Section 192 (Salary) in place of the correct Section 194J (Fees for professional or technical services). Hence my AIS / Annual Tax Statement looks like this:

Capture988.JPG

I don't want to contact the client to get this corrected. Can this even be corrected at my end / client's end? Can I still classify this as 'Income From Business or Profession' in my ITR / P&L statement?

Hello folks,

One of my retainer client has somehow classified my professional fees as Section 192 (Salary) in place of the correct Section 194J (Fees for professional or technical services). Hence my AIS / Annual Tax Statement looks like this:

Capture988.JPG

I don't want to contact the client to get this corrected. Can this even be corrected at my end / client's end? Can I still classify this as 'Income From Business or Profession' in my ITR / P&L statement?
It can't be corrected from your end. Your client have to file TDS correction statement to change it to 194J.
If he agreed to correct the statement then he need to deduct TDS @10% and deposit the tax along with interest. You can classify it as you business income.

To be on safe side provide feedback in AIS.

RadioactiveTabela

TF Premier
It can't be corrected from your end. Your client have to file TDS correction statement to change it to 194J.
If he agreed to correct the statement then he need to deduct TDS @10% and deposit the tax along with interest. You can classify it as you business income.

To be on safe side provide feedback in AIS.
Thank you!!

Is it sufficient to just say 'Information is denied' as feedback? Should I write a letter/declaration explaining the misclassification and upload it somewhere on the portal?

Capture9888.JPG

There are only these 5 option in the drop down menu:

Capture98889.JPG

Capture988899.JPG

I suppose 'information is denied' is the most appropriate among the 5?
But information is not completely wrong. Just TDS section is wrong. If you select information denied that means income doesn't belong to you.

My suggestion would be just show it as income from business and profession. Don't provide any feedback back. Leave it as it is.