• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Smartbuy is generally costlier travel website for flights, and computation of reward rate is wrong (Excluded Infinia/DCB)

card-shard

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Lots of discussion on this forum & youtube focuses on 1:1 redemption of smartbuy for flights/hotels, and this is used to compute reward rate.
However, based on my experience, SMARTBUY based purchases aren't cost effective, and your end paying more than other online portals (EMT, Paytm, MMT).
So your reward rate effectively becomes lower than generic computation.

Smartbuy shows slighly higher price for flights in most cases, and then you can't apply any additional coupon codes/direct cashback offers from website.
If you could've purchased flight ticket from paytm for 10k (with additional card based offers), you often end up paying 12-13k on smartbuy (70% reward point + 30% pay & 99+ redemption charge for few card variants)
So if you get 25k rewards on spending 5L, you may think that rewards rate is 5%, but since you purchase a ticket by paying extra amount than paytm/MMT direct booking. Effective rate of rewards goes down to 2-4%.
(Additional headache, if you've to reschedule/cancel smartbuy based bookings)

Same goes for Apple products. On flipkart/Amazon you can get lower list price + card based discount. However list price of same products on smartbuy is higher, & no option to get diff card based discounts.
(No experience with travel bookings as compared to direct MMT/Yatra bookings.)
I guess same holds true for reward redemption portals of Amex & others.
If we ignore Infinia+smartbuy returns, I guess for any other HDFC card, EFFECTIVE returns are absymally low on smartbuy.

In my limited knowledge, SBI cashback / Millenia are best value for money cards (or any combination of Amazon + Ace + Airtel + Flipkart) for middle class people.

card-shard

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Also, Infinia offers accelerated RPs on spends through SmartBuy (Vouchers too) and every RP=1/-. For eg, Buy 10K Amazon voucher and you get 1650 RPs. Now reduce the GST you pay on voucher ie 195/-, still you get 1455 RPs which carry value of 1455/-.

I took Voucher example as its almost as good as cash in Amazon bank for shopping. Now how effectively you can make use of this 1455/- is upto you and most end up using it on Hotels/Flights.

I can say at least for Infinia users, making use of SmartBuy platform makes hell lot of sense. I get 5% cashback on my APay card but if I buy Amazon vouchers, I can maximize that to almost 14%.

Wondering why people don't read post and are eager to post "a reply". I've clearly mentioned legit exceptions in the very first post. one such instance is quoted below. If only people read things properly.

If we ignore Infinia+smartbuy returns, I guess for any other HDFC card, EFFECTIVE returns are absymally low on smartbuy.
🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️