Rewards on government transactions

OneMileAtATime

Hi CC experts,
Does any credit card give rewards on government transactions, if yes which card and how much % reward?
I have some government expenses coming up in the near future and i have infinia which doesn't give any rewards.

sid16

Now that Magnus could discontinue rewards on government transactions (already done on Reserve starting from 12th August), which credit card will be best for government transactions such as Advance Tax payment, TDS payment, etc?

vizzkid

Now that Magnus could discontinue rewards on government transactions (already done on Reserve starting from 12th August), which credit card will be best for government transactions such as Advance Tax payment, TDS payment, etc?

I also would like to know pls....

Both govt spending and utilities don't work on magnus, amex and infinia if I'm not wrong.

Can anyone suggest a credit card pls...

TIA
Vishal.

sid16

Currently best cards for Government Transactions:
1. IDFCFirst Wealth: Can go close to 2.5% depending on how high your government transactions are in a month. Best parts are that there is no upper cap on the rewards, the rewards can be redeemed against even Amazon Pay vouchers, the card itself is LTF. Currently the best card for government transactions.
2. HDFC Diners Club Black Metal: Almost confirmed now that government transactions will be included in quarterly milestone benefits, even though the transaction itself won't give any base reward points. For spends of 4 lakhs in a quarter, you get 10000 bonus reward points. This implies a 2.5% returns if points are redeemed against flight and hotel bookings. Overall makes it a very valuable card, since this card also has loads of features and accelerated rewards second only to Infinia (and maybe Magnus Burgundy).
3. Kotak White and White Reserve: These cards are worst for all other types of transactions, but really good for government transactions. White will give you upto 2.25% rewards and White Reserve will give you upto 2.5% rewards. Drawback is that White will give rewards only for upto Rs. 12 lakh spends in a year, whereas in White Reserve the slabs of 10 lakhs between milestones becomes too wide. Good cards if you want to just make 12 lakhs for White or 40 lakhs (upto 1 crore) for White Reserve worth of government transactions. The rewards can be redeemed against Amazon Pay vouchers, other premium vouchers, flight and hotel bookings.
4. Standard Chartered Ultimate: This card gives 3 reward points for Rs. 150 of government transactions. So this implies a 2% reward rate. However, points are redeemable only against vouchers, and they have removed all meaningful vouchers such as Amazon, Zomato. Now only individual brand vouchers are available. Uber is available but I don't know how many people will take high value Uber vouchers. Redemption options have been poor IMO.

Currently best cards for Government Transactions:
1. IDFCFirst Wealth: Can go close to 2.5% depending on how high your government transactions are in a month. Best parts are that there is no upper cap on the rewards, the rewards can be redeemed against even Amazon Pay vouchers, the card itself is LTF. Currently the best card for government transactions.
2. HDFC Diners Club Black Metal: Almost confirmed now that government transactions will be included in quarterly milestone benefits, even though the transaction itself won't give any base reward points. For spends of 4 lakhs in a quarter, you get 10000 bonus reward points. This implies a 2.5% returns if points are redeemed against flight and hotel bookings. Overall makes it a very valuable card, since this card also has loads of features and accelerated rewards second only to Infinia (and maybe Magnus Burgundy).
3. Kotak White and White Reserve: These cards are worst for all other types of transactions, but really good for government transactions. White will give you upto 2.25% rewards and White Reserve will give you upto 2.5% rewards. Drawback is that White will give rewards only for upto Rs. 12 lakh spends in a year, whereas in White Reserve the slabs of 10 lakhs between milestones becomes too wide. Good cards if you want to just make 12 lakhs for White or 40 lakhs (upto 1 crore) for White Reserve worth of government transactions. The rewards can be redeemed against Amazon Pay vouchers, other premium vouchers, flight and hotel bookings.
4. Standard Chartered Ultimate: This card gives 3 reward points for Rs. 150 of government transactions. So this implies a 2% reward rate. However, points are redeemable only against vouchers, and they have removed all meaningful vouchers such as Amazon, Zomato. Now only individual brand vouchers are available. Uber is available but I don't know how many people will take high value Uber vouchers. Redemption options have been poor IMO.
Add SBI Vistara Prime (2CV points/200 and free PE ticket on spends in multiples of 150k) and Axis Atlas(2 EM per 100, transferred in 1:2) to the list as well

devarshi84

I tried to find details on hdfc bank website but there are contrasting articles on the same. due to changes.

How does Business Regalia reward spends on Utilities, Governement taxes and insurance if done via Payzapp? I know that Payzapp provide 20 cashback points but what do we get for using Business Regalia credit card?

a. for insurance ( I need to make payment to health insurance directly via billdesk.)
b. Utility bills payment via Payzapp
c. government taxes via payzapp if possible or on the govt portal.

My alternate will be to use Indusind Tiger credit card which provides 0.7% flat returns.