• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Refund in closed credit card

senasenthil

TF Premier
I have received an SMS and a mail stating that a refund is credited to my credit card, which has been upgraded three months before. The refund is for the car insurance policy purchased online during February 2023. I am clueless on (i) why there is a refund when the policy has already been issued and (ii) where the refund will be reflected as the original card account is closed. The refund is not shown in the upgraded card.

starstruck

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Check with the insurance company on the status of the policy. Dont mention the refund. Then ask to the bank on how to get the refund without telling about the policy status if it is still live. :p

It is also possible there was a cashback on the policy at the time of purchase which will be credited after 3-4 months. Check the refund % of the total premium. In this case, also ask the bank how to get back the refunded/cash-back amount.

saucy

TF Ace
Check with the insurance company on the status of the policy. Dont mention the refund. Then ask to the bank on how to get the refund without telling about the policy status if it is still live. :p

It is also possible there was a cashback on the policy at the time of purchase which will be credited after 3-4 months. Check the refund % of the total premium. In this case, also ask the bank how to get back the refunded/cash-back amount.
Adding to this, be careful - it may very well be a new scam or something. Don't entertain calls from unknown numbers.
Call the insurance/bank yourself from their registered numbers

U_Utkrsh

TF Premier
RML Group
VIP Lounge
I have received an SMS and a mail stating that a refund is credited to my credit card, which has been upgraded three months before. The refund is for the car insurance policy purchased online during February 2023. I am clueless on (i) why there is a refund when the policy has already been issued and (ii) where the refund will be reflected as the original card account is closed. The refund is not shown in the upgraded card.
Something similar happened to me recently as well. After processing the closure of the Axis Flipkart card, I received cash back for the last month. I contacted customer care, and they asked me to email the details along with the generated bill. The amount was credited to my bank account within a few days. Hopefully, it will be the same for you.

Last edited:

metal_heart

TF Premier
Happened same with me. Received cashback after card closure. I reached out to customer care, to transfer amount to other axis card. They denied, it can not be done. I suggested to to transfer to bank account. they denied same aswell.

Can you share in detail. Where did you send the email to and the content.
After processing the closure of the Axis Flipkart card, I received cash back for the last month.

senasenthil

TF Premier

The value of refund is full invoice amount

senasenthil

TF Premier
Adding to this, be careful - it may very well be a new scam or something. Don't entertain calls from unknown numbers.
Call the insurance/bank yourself from their registered numbers
The SMS came from the same ID from where other routine communications were received so there is less probability for it being scam

U_Utkrsh

TF Premier
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Happened same with me. Received cashback after card closure. I reached out to customer care, to transfer amount to other axis card. They denied, it can not be done. I suggested to to transfer to bank account. they denied same aswell.

Can you share in detail. Where did you send the email to and the content.
Sorry I forgot to give you the further details. I mentioned my closed card details (like last 4 digit, Card Variant etc.). Also mentioned the cashback amount with an attached copy of the bill generated. They gave me a call back asking for a cancelled cheque and then proceeded further with the refund. It’s quite an easy and hassle free process.

senasenthil

TF Premier
My issue is getting more murkier. When I checked the policy status online, the renewed policy is not found. So, I called the customer care of the HDFC Ergo. Customer care executive confirmed that the policy got renewed and he will share the policy through email. Then, I contacted the customer care of HDFC card. The lady checked the status of reversal and informed that the amount has been already credited to my upgraded card account. The irony is I neither receive the policy through email as promised by the CC executive of HDFC Ergo nor the refunded amount got reflected in my card statement as informed by the CC executive of HDFC Cards.

senasenthil

TF Premier
Update on my original post: The premium amount was refunded after 5 months. There is no communication from HDFC Ergo regarding cancellation of the policy but it is not visible in their website. I have contacted the customer care and they have asked for more time for response. It is very strange. I am wondering what the reason for cancellation. In have the soft copy of the policy sent by HDFC Ergo but its validity is not known. I am thinking to take this issue to regulatorily authorities.