• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Need Suggestions for RBI escalation - Indian Bank

knight

TF Ace
Dear TFCians,

My father recently had a serious incident with Indian Bank.
He had submitted an application to close one of his accounts almost 1.5 years back, but the bank has not closed the acct properly. all docs, kyc were submitted but he still gets messages for balance maintenance.

In Oct 2022, they again asked for a fresh application as they couldn't find the old one. We gave it again, but the account is still open.
My father recently talked to a chief manager at the branch, and though he didn't say anything rude, the bank manager started hurling insulting statements and even threatened for a fake case under 353.

Delays and inefficiency can be ignored but fake threats and power misuse are a major issue.

I wrote about the incident to nodal officer and indian bank's internal ombudsman, but only got an automated response.. even a ticket number wasn't shared.
Also raised a grievance ticket, and they came back saying 'As per branch, submit kyc documents and visit branch for acct closure'.

From what i know, we need atleast 2 ticket numbers to raise RBI complain.. since nodal desk hasn't even shared that, i'm not sure how to proceed.

Have you had any bad experiences with Branch managers and higher officials? Can much be done against them?

What are your suggestions on raising this to RBI Ombudsman? Does RBI intervene in such matters?

Edit: I do have a copy of the second application signed and stamped by branch.

Last edited:

Tejo

TF Legend
Dear TFCians,

My father recently had a serious incident with Indian Bank.
He had submitted an application to close one of his accounts almost 1.5 years back, but the bank has not closed the acct properly. all docs, kyc were submitted but he still gets messages for balance maintenance.

In Oct 2022, they again asked for a fresh application as they couldn't find the old one. We gave it again, but the account is still open.
My father recently talked to a chief manager at the branch, and though he didn't say anything rude, the bank manager started hurling insulting statements and even threatened for a fake case under 353.

Delays and inefficiency can be ignored but fake threats and power misuse are a major issue.

I wrote about the incident to nodal officer and internal ombudsman, but only got an automated response.. even a ticket number wasn't shared.
Also raised a grievance ticket, and they came back saying 'as per branch, visit with kyc documents'.

From what i know, we need atleast 2 ticket numbers to raise RBI complain.. since nodal desk hasn't even shared that, i'm not sure how to proceed.

Have you had any bad experiences with Branch managers and higher officials? Can much be done against them?

What are your suggestions on raising this to RBI Ombudsman?
Reply as follows to rbi:-

We have submitted the clossure form with documents two times, but still not closed. As of now we are getting alerts to maintain balance in ac.

When we have questioned manager, threatened us that he would file a case under 353. Even we didn't scold him.

** cases in Indian, will settle before judgement.

He need proof, like cc camera.

Just third time, fill up clossure form, and post them via courier with kyc documents.

Still zero response, then send them notice, Thereafter file a case.

Rkr

TF Legend
TF Family
Contributor
Reply as follows to rbi:-

We have submitted the clossure form with documents two times, but still not closed. As of now we are getting alerts to maintain balance in ac.

When we have questioned manager, threatened us that he would file a case under 353. Even we didn't scold him.

** cases in Indian, will settle before judgement.

He need proof, like cc camera.

Just third time, fill up clossure form, and post them via courier with kyc documents.

Still zero response, then send them notice, Thereafter file a case.
Bro,If you have any kind of acknowledgement slip from bank regarding closure request of account then your case would be strong if you approach to RBI else better requesting after submitting the account closure request please ask for acknowledgement for the same and if at all they are not honouring the same then just place request with KYC documents to activate the account from dormant state and transfer the account to some other branch near by and then submit the closure request there and always insist politely for acknowledgement because it is the only proof that you have submitted the request for closure and further it helps if necessary steps are not taken within stipulated time frame...

Tejo

TF Legend
Bro,If you have any kind of acknowledgement slip from bank regarding closure request of account then your case would be strong if you approach to RBI else better requesting after submitting the account closure request please ask for acknowledgement for the same and if at all they are not honouring the same then just place request with KYC documents to activate the account from dormant state and transfer the account to some other branch near by and then submit the closure request there and always insist politely for acknowledgement because it is the only proof that you have submitted the request for closure and further it helps if necessary steps are not taken within stipulated time frame...
Does banks give acknowledgement slip for account clossure .... that too Indian Bank???

I already advised to send docs via post, Sorry not courier, Speed post*

The things that are sent via speed post are considered as legal proof. .... so that only still hdfc follows post methods for cc .... Even legal notice mostly are sent via speed post.

Rkr

TF Legend
TF Family
Contributor
Does banks give acknowledgement slip for account clossure .... that too Indian Bank???

I already advised to send docs via post, Sorry not courier, Speed post*

The things that are sent via speed post are considered as legal proof. .... so that only still hdfc follows post methods for cc .... Even legal notice mostly are sent via speed post.
Thats why i have suggested that if conditions are not in favour change the branch then place request..

VISHESH_BANSAL

TF Pioneer
I had once also Faced Arrogance of the Excecutive of a PSU.

Executive was like:'
Account khole time nhi hua close karwane aajate hai"

But being PSU, they did not take any Complaint seriously.

You case seems much serious than my case.

If such a Behaviour was done by a Private Bank Employee then Normal complaints was enough as I had raised many Complaints against Axis Bank Branch and such Complaints was like :- "Chik chik Boom Boom Fire under their Bottoms"

I am afraid, if they will take even RBI BO Complaint seriously.

So Close the Account if not already.

And yes for raising the matter with RBI BO, you just need an Complaint Number already raised with Bank.

And Definitely RBI will interfere in it, Present your facts in the complaint properly.

Last edited:

knight

TF Ace
I do have the acknowledgment.
@Tejo @Rkr

When i submitted the application second time(October), i made two copies and got one signed & stamped by the bank as of proof of receipt.

i know the last solution would be to keep submitting closure requests until they do it, but after the manager misbehaved, i want to fight this to some extent.

Rkr

TF Legend
TF Family
Contributor
I do have the acknowledgment.
@Tejo @Rkr

When i submitted the application second time(October), i made two copies and got one signed & stamped by the bank as of proof of receipt.

i know the last solution would be to keep submitting closure requests until they do it, but after the manager misbehaved, i want to fight this to some extent.
Approach RBI BO Narrate whole sequence and attach the acknowledgement. Result will be in your favour hopefully.Ask for compensation also citing mental trauma.

plastikman

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Submit the request to BM mentioning all details. Keep a xerox copy of your application and seek his acknowledgement with date and branch stamp on it. Use it for further RBI ombudsman escalation. In case this fails, could you consider going before the consumer forum ? I'm sure others would be able to comment.

While escalating to nodal officer, take printout of email and send to HO / nodal officer's office via registered post (with acknowledgement slip) or atleast retain courier receipt (and tracking details screenshot showing letter delivered). This will help you strengthen your case before the ombudsman.

knight

TF Ace
Any update on this OP?
I wrote to their Nodal and internal BO 2-3 times. They never replied.
I understood the pathetic condition of the bank's management and decided not to waste more energy on this.

Also closed my other account.

PS. Now they keep sending 'balance maintenance' alerts to me as well.

pothi

TF Premier
RML Group
Just ignore those SMS messages. Preferably block them if you have a smart phone.

I had PNB and IDBI accounts. They used to send me alerts for years. Then, they must have realised that they are wasting so much money as SMS charges. So, stopped receiving alerts around early 2023. Now, I have got any such alerts for almost a year.

I had a dormant account with Axis too. They sent me a letter to reactivate the account within a timeframe or the account would be closed on a particular date. I let them close as it was my additional SB account in Axis.