• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Kotak is charging GST on interest payment of an EMI transaction which was cancelled and refunded before EMI conversion

Pankhuri

TF Ace
I made a transaction on 13th oct and opted for No-cost emi transaction. Next day the seller cancelled the order. The amount was refunded back on 16th. I was informed by Kotak through sms that if the transaction was an EMI one, then I would need to call customer care to get it cancelled. I called customer care and they took my request on 17th. However the emi was approved on 18th. Then based on the request they cancelled it on 20th. Now as some banks don't reverse the GST charges on conversion, I am fine with 35rs charge. However, Kotak has levied extra GST of 105rs saying that this is the GST on the first EMI. This doesn't make any sense because the EMI was cancelled before even the statement was generated. So are they allowed to do that? Should I try to fight it?

#aniket

TF Ace
Screenshot_2024-04-23-21-20-14-96_45e686c594768066ad9911d54d96f72b~2.jpg HDFC charged roughly ₹200 on cancelled order on Amazon.
Means you have ordered one product on EMI, which later got cancelled, right?

Though you got charged processing or convenience fees from HDFC even after receiving reversal/ refund of the full amount?
Even after order cancellation and EMI was active on HDFC App , to close the EMI I paid extra amount.
Can you quote the txn date, cancellation date, refund date. Not only this, when you had contacted HDFC and all.

I think HDFC will reverse it, if you have received the full amount as refund from Amazon within few days.
If not very next day was bill generation date and installment payment would have started.
No, worry. Eventually on making request or informing the case, your EMI would be cancelled. All such charges, if any, get reversed.
Now I want to complain to RBI

On how HDFC charging amount on cancelled order with Amazon giving full refund

Any luck in complaing to RBI ?
Try contacting HDFC, go through its escalation matrix and I think it will get sorted.

If it's not getting sorted then make a complaint to RBI BO.

P.S: As per HDFC's T&Cs, processing/ convenience, ₹199+GST, is not refundable even if order is cancelled, in case of EASYEMI, when later on txn get converted into EMI.

Last edited:

purushotham

TF Select
Means you have ordered one product on EMI, which later got cancelled, right?

Though you got charged processing or convenience fees from HDFC even after receiving reversal/ refund of the full amount?

Can you quote the txn date, cancellation date, refund date. Not only this, when you had contacted HDFC and all.

I think HDFC will reverse it, if you have received the full amount as refund from Amazon within few days.

No, worry. Eventually on making request or informing the case, your EMI would be cancelled. All such charges, if any, get reversed.

Try contacting HDFC, go through its escalation matrix and I think it will get sorted.

If it's not getting sorted then make a complaint to RBI BO.
Screenshot_2024-04-23-12-02-50-89_1be76b10d0f7d18d300390ad3fe55f68~2.jpg
Same day refunded