• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Is it true that we shouldn't transact more than five times a month in a savings bank account?

rj_arora

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Guys, I had a terrible experience today at Axis Bank. They blocked my savings account three days ago. Credit is allowed, but I can't debit any money. I went to the branch today to confront them, and the manager told me this -

Allegation 1: There were too many transactions in my savings account. That's why their system flagged the account. They told me to use my account like a savings account and not like a current account. The manager clearly told me that RBI has directed the banks not to allow more than five transactions per month.
My view: this is the first time I've heard about this five transaction limit a month. I mean, how is it possible that the government is promoting digitisation and, at the same time, limiting people to use their savings account only five times a month? Isn't it weird?

Allegation 2: the manager was asking me how I was getting money credited to my account so many times. I clearly told him that I had transferred the money from my own ICICI account to my Axis account many times and then transferred it to my own Zerodha/Paytm money as I had linked my Axis account to the broker. Also, my mother and my friends sent me money totalling 4-5 times the previous month, and 3-4 were miscellaneous credits. But he was trying to scare me by saying that I was speaking so much in front of him, but I wouldn't be able to utter a single word against the income tax department.
My view: What does the income tax department have to do with this? I mean, is it illegal to take money from friends? And all of this is white money. They are transferring the money from their bank account to my bank account, right? It's not even cash. How did the income tax department come into the picture? I have no idea. There are a total of 73 debits + credits in my account. I don't know how high it is.

Some other transaction level details:

I received a total of 6.17L from my own other bank accounts in 11 transactions.
I received a total of 86K (my own Business income, declared in ITR, too) in 2 transactions.
I received a total of 1.1Lakh from friends/family in 8 transactions.
All these were IMPS/UPI. All online, bank-to-bank transfers.
The remaining 50 transactions were debit transactions, mainly to my broker account and vendors/shops/friends, etc.

Now, to resolve this, he's asking me to write on a page that I will use my savings account less frequently in the future and that I won't repeat this behaviour when I am doing multiple transactions in my account. Also, he is asking me to write the purpose of the credits in my account and why the money was credited from my friends and from my mother to my account.
What do you guys think I should do here? Has anyone else faced this before?

cc: @TechnoFino @Subhankar @ashwink @S S V @4uziaul @007 @alphadark7 @bhavyegoel

Last edited:

Tejo

TF Legend
The problem nowadays with this forum is people come here crying after getting bullied from bankers to know their rights but aren't ready to fight for them. If this individual(OP) is ready to do what the BM told at first place, what is the use then coming here and wasting everyone else's time
May I know why did you came to this forum ?

rj_arora

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
The problem nowadays with this forum is people come here crying after getting bullied from bankers to know their rights but aren't ready to fight for them. If this individual(OP) is ready to do what the BM told at first place, what is the use then coming here and wasting everyone else's time.
Bhai, I am ready to do what the BM told me in the first place because PNO himself ignored what I wrote in the mail. What else can I do? File a police complaint? File a court case? I don't want to go into these things. Sorry If I wasted your time 🙏🏻

aashuuuu

TF Premier
Bhai, I am ready to do what the BM told me in the first place because PNO himself ignored what I wrote in the mail. What else can I do? File a police complaint? File a court case? I don't want to go into these things. Sorry If I wasted your time 🙏🏻
Bank h bhai. Sabse phle denial m jaega. Pareshan hona padega. Lekin jitna pareshan ho jaoge usse jyada compensation mil jaega last m. Ise aese chod doge to aur confidence aaega. Apni aukaat bhulega aur aage baaki logon ko bhi pareshan krega. His job is to serve you

aashuuuu

TF Premier
Bank h bhai. Sabse phle denial m jaega. Pareshan hona padega. Lekin jitna pareshan ho jaoge usse jyada compensation mil jaega last m. Ise aese chod doge to aur confidence aaega. Apni aukaat bhulega aur aage baaki logon ko bhi pareshan krega. His job is to serve you
Agr account close hi karvana h to debit freeze htvane ki bhi zaroorat nhi h. Close krvao aur Cheque ya Demand Draft lelo. Saari digital transactions h , koi chori nhi h. You need not explain anything to any asshole

Tejo

TF Legend
File a court case.

How did you think PNO will help, if a branch manager warned you. Evn that too axis PNO.

Do what branch manager said.

I think he is angry on you as you didn't take any axis product like fd, insurance, demat etc

rj_arora

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Agr account close hi karvana h to debit freeze htvane ki bhi zaroorat nhi h. Close krvao aur Cheque ya Demand Draft lelo. Saari digital transactions h , koi chori nhi h. You need not explain anything to any asshole
3 Axis cards hain. And I have around 31K ER points in my account, too (which I earned from Magnus). Will they be affected if I close my Axis account? Can I claim those ER points and transfer them to Accor/Vistara, etc, after closing the Axis account? And will they deliver the cheque to my home address?

[UPDATE:]
Hey, All, I just received this reply from PNO. They didn't even address my complaint regarding the operations manager 🤦🏻‍♂️.
What should I do? I guess I have to do what the manager originally said.
I. Already informed you...

Send email and this time mention that you are not aware of such rules and from now you will strictly follow Bank's guidelines and request them to unfreeze.

Else. No. Option...

sm9811911

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Unlike other jobs - which are driven by rules n regulations n guidelines - a Banker has much more freedom n flexibility in making decisions - through DISCRETION.

Using his discretion, he may initiate or may just ignore. No one can n will question it. Even RBI can't do anything.

Only BANKING books/subject is known as - BANKING - LAW and PRACTICE.

Laws n practices could vary - vary significantly - depending on the discretion.

Don't get into litigation. By listening to those who has absolutely no idea about banking. Leave alone compliance n discretion. Banking is not like a software job.
Lol. .. .Even God wanted to be a banker once but was rejected due to a bankers discretion.

rj_arora

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
3 Axis cards hain. And I have around 31K ER points in my account, too (which I earned from Magnus). Will they be affected if I close my Axis account? Can I claim those ER points and transfer them to Accor/Vistara, etc, after closing the Axis account? And will they deliver the cheque to my home address?
Can anyone answer this please

techt

TF Legend
Wow..
Sounded like the bloody Mary urban legend. Saying her name 3️⃣ times in front of a mirror will summon her.
Animation Ghost GIF

varun__goel_

TF Legend
[UPDATE:]
Hey, All, I just received this reply from PNO. They didn't even address my complaint regarding the operations manager 🤦🏻‍♂️.
What should I do? I guess I have to do what the manager originally said.
The mail clearly shows that the BM is fooling and trying to scare you. Debit freeze has been put on your account for your own security, and not because of any such limit of transactions, ITD, etc.

First try to get it resolved at the home branch. If not addressed properly, then approach any other branch. And make sure you transfer your home branch. Or just get the account closed. The BM is notorious and needs some bamboo🙂

Last edited:

rj_arora

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
UPDATE:
Got the account closed today. The bank official asked why I was closing it. I said, your BM is asking me to write on paper that I won't use the account much in future, for transactions. Then what's the point of keeping this account open?
He then unblocked the account. I transferred the money. He closed it swiftly then. It was a quick process.

I was expecting this closure - after your email to PNO and his reply asking you to go back to the BM.

The Bank was probably right in flagging your SB account - PNO's reply says so and now your action confirms it.

By the way, as suggested by a lot of members here, why did you not take up the issue legally ? Or, thru RBI Ombudsman ? Someone was also talking about hefty compensation and a couple of others were abusing the BM - forgetting the fact that he got a role to play. If the system flags a SB account, he has to call the customer and do the needful.

What prompted you to close it instead of giving it in writing ? What you had already shared with this community of 25,000+. If it is so inconvenient to put it in writing, you should not have raised that issue here in this group. Any way, now that it's closed, show extra caution, and restraint, in your future dealings to avoid such unpleasant situation (for all involved).

rj_arora

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I was expecting this closure - after your email to PNO and his reply asking you to go back to the BM.

The Bank was probably right in flagging your SB account - PNO's reply says so and now your action confirms it.

By the way, as suggested by a lot of members here, why did you not take up the issue legally ? Or, thru RBI Ombudsman ? Someone was also talking about hefty compensation and a couple of others were abusing the BM - forgetting the fact that he got a role to play. If the system flags a SB account, he has to call the customer and do the needful.

What prompted you to close it instead of giving it in writing ? What you had already shared with this community of 25,000+. If it is so inconvenient to put it in writing, you should not have raised that issue here in this group. Any way, now that it's closed, show extra caution, and restraint, in your future dealings to avoid such unpleasant situation (for all involved).
Taking the issue legally was never my intention, nor did I ever mention the same in my original post.
Taking action against the operations manager only through Axis's higher authorities was my goal. But when the PNO himself neglected my complaint against the manager, I realised that they are not customer-friendly at all and that it was better to close the account rather than hit my head against the wall.
Again, I closed the account instead of giving it in writing because I no longer want to maintain a banking relationship with this bank and give even 1 paisa worth of business to them.

pothi

TF Ace
RML Group
And will they deliver the cheque to my home address?

I see you have closed your account now. However, for any bank's closure, the bank will ask you to provide the alternate bank account details (a/c number and IFSC code) so that they can transfer the remaining money and the interest accrued so far in the SB account.

Taking action against the operations manager only through Axis's higher authorities was my goal. But when the PNO himself neglected my complaint against the manager, I realised that they are not customer-friendly at all and that it was better to close the account rather than hit my head against the wall.

Usually, it's recommended to address one concern at a time. So, to send a complaint against the employee (or BM), then it's preferable to send a separate email (probably as a feedback, rather than as a complaint). Axis is notorious for firing employees (especially in the recent years). So, your complaint may have been registered internally and you may have just missed the chance to see the change in BM. No BM can stick to a branch forever.