• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How to reduce Credit Card limit permanently

SuperKnight

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I have recently declined an SBI aurum card (FYF) with the reason "Over Leverage". I have a CIBIL of 800 and recently ( 6 months back) closed an HL outstanding ( reflected in my CIBIL statement as well). The agent suggested I close some cards or I think I can reduce the card limits of the likes of HSBC Platinum and RBL Icon, Amex MRCC, which I am not using much. Please suggest the way to do so.

D₹V

TF Prestige
can you please recommend some threads, couldn't find anything relevant
Here u go

He is also trying aurum.

CardGame

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I have recently declined an SBI aurum card (FYF) with the reason "Over Leverage". I have a CIBIL of 800 and recently ( 6 months back) closed an HL outstanding ( reflected in my CIBIL statement as well). The agent suggested I close some cards or I think I can reduce the card limits of the likes of HSBC Platinum and RBL Icon, Amex MRCC, which I am not using much. Please suggest the way to do so.
What is your current exposure to unsecured credit?

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Firstly Aurum is not a great card.. secondly don't reduce limit just to get a new card.. more limit will also improve your credit score... use your current cards.. build a score and apply for a new better card... reducing limit is a very regressive step...

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
It used to be a good thing until RBI decided to pull the plug recently. Many banks now tightened their processes and rejects application because of over leverage.
Hmmm... i haven't faced it as yet.. but cancelling cards / reduction of limits is a very adhoc way to get a new card ( with no guarantee of approval or limits)

SuperKnight

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Firstly Aurum is not a great card.. secondly don't reduce limit just to get a new card.. more limit will also improve your credit score... use your current cards.. build a score and apply for a new better card... reducing limit is a very regressive step...
Agreed, never faced before.. My CIBIL is 800, so that is definitely not an issue

rogerthat

TF Ace
Happened to me today. SBI rejected Octane card application citing over-leverage. Thinking of closing some cards and requesting for limit reduction in others.

FineTurns

TF Buzz
from the above, it looks like SBI is looking at "over-leverage" factor.
Axis seems to consider that as well.

Which other banks do this? And how far is too far?
I'm sure some people have total credit limits equivalent to multiple years' worth of salary.

rogerthat

TF Ace
From my experience so far I've seen that it is incredibly hard to get credit limits reduced. Both ICICI and Citi tried their best to talk me out of it. The Citi guy especially couldn't believe that someone would even request something like this :LOL:

Anyway got ICICI reduced by 3 lakhs and Citi by 2 lakhs. Closed IndusInd Legend of 5L and BoB Easy RuPay of 1.5L. Still trying to get Standard Chartered (3.66L) and HDFC (3L) to reduce their limits.